[UK Hardcore with a Hard Kick] By Name

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
thedjjudah

14 May 2022

Hey everyone this is my first attempt at making a harder kick than I am normally used to. 1 min long. I am trying to learn how to fit this kind of kick in the mix, my general problem was that the kick overpowered everything else. so I finally ended up with light compression on the kick sidechained to the synth.

Hopefully this sounds ok

Popey
Competition Winner

15 May 2022

I am not sure of the type of kick you are using/aiming for and found it hard to distinguish with the synth. Could you either lower the synth a fair bit or perhaps just upload a private soundcloud link of the kick on its own. Happy to try and help and its likely eq'ing each sound will help to give each sound the space it needs to sound right to you.

thedjjudah

15 May 2022

Here you go! Thanks for the feedback btw.

jam-s

15 May 2022

This kick is mainly overtones and missing the fundamental body/sub at 50-80 Hz to really drive the track. (Have a look at it in a spectrum analyser and compare it to kicks from reference tracks). You could try to layer it with a more basic fundamental only kick.

thedjjudah

15 May 2022

Ok, thanks jam-s. I put an analyzer on my track, but everything looked fine. It had some presence in the low end, but tons right around 80 Hz. Do you think if I sent you the track you'd be able to fix it for me, so that I'd be able to tell the difference?

jam-s

15 May 2022

I could have a try (R11 only), but it might take a while, as I'm not sure when I can actually work on this.

thedjjudah

15 May 2022

Ok thanks. Whenever you have a chance is fine!

By the way, I'm using Reason 10.

:-)
Attachments
By Name Hard Kick.zip
Reason 10 file for By Name
(168 Bytes) Downloaded 78 times

jam-s

15 May 2022

That upload seems to be broken (unless the .reason file is really only 0 bytes).

thedjjudah

15 May 2022

Ok, sorry about that. It should be working now.
Attachments
By Name Hard Kick.zip
By Name
(285.13 KiB) Downloaded 69 times

Popey
Competition Winner

16 May 2022

thedjjudah wrote:
15 May 2022
Ok, sorry about that. It should be working now.
Thanks for posting. I will also have a look at this once I finish work. I am on Reason 11 but will give feedback.

Popey
Competition Winner

16 May 2022

One of the main things i noticed is that you moved your kick up with the melody, is this a common thing with gabba? I ask as your kick sounded better at the lower registers.

I had a little look only and most gabba kicks (although quite varied) seemed to start with a 909 sample and then various distortion, saturation or overdrive applied.

I had a quick go making a combi but not sure if it is right as i do not know the genre well
Attachments
Gabba Kick.zip
(2.46 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

thedjjudah

16 May 2022

Some kicks with a euphoric track move with the melody, especially Happy Hardcore songs that have a big kick. An example:

Also, I'm under the impression that most gabber uses a synthesized kick now, instead of a distorted 909 (which was more widely used in the 90s).
But I might be dead wrong.

Thanks to both of you for responding and helping me out. :clap: :D

Popey
Competition Winner

16 May 2022

Ah I see, I listened to a few tracks but the kicks stayed in the same key, hence the question and interesting they move like that 👍

• Information