(electronic rock/dreampop) Can You See

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
adfielding

12 May 2022

I started writing this tune during the height of the COVID pandemic in 2020, and only recently got around to finishing it. You can check it out via this handy YouTube lyric video or, alternatively, the following Soundcloud link.

The song was originally started in 2020, but it wasn't until 2021 that I found the impetus to really dig into it properly. It was originally started as a bit of a change of direction from most of the more electronic/synth-oriented tracks I was writing at the time, though there's certainly plenty of that in there as well.

The original message behind the song was the idea of wanting desperately to be reunited with someone you know you're never going to see again - whether literally or more in terms of who a person used to be. I hit a total stumbling block after writing about 80% of the track in 2020, and it was only after experiencing a loss of my own in 2021 that I found the necessary drive to finish it properly and give it the ending it deserved. To be honest, it was a hard process and I was feeling particularly raw at the time, but in a weird sort of way it gave me a real sense of closure in letting go & saying goodbye to a friend who I still miss dearly to this day. I still ended up re-visiting the track again in 2022 to flesh out the end of the track and to give it a little extra punch.

It's a bit of a mixture of my more poppy/rocky sensibilities that I'd been exploring with my past couple of singles combined with some of my more usual production sensibilities - so it's a nice mixture of live instrumentation, strings, acoustic drums, and deep synths/pads. I guess you could say there's an element of nu-prog (I still kind of hate that term but I guess it applies) in there as well, and although I wouldn't describe it as a heavy track tonally it deals with some pretty heavy subject matter and I thought it was nice to get some heavier instrumentation in there towards the tail end of the track.

Can You See was a real journey in terms of how it all came together in stages over an extended period of time. In the past, that sort of approach has often killed my enthusiasm for music that's either been "overcooked" or dragged out, but Can You See serves as an exception to that I think. I'd love to know what you think of it if you get a chance to listen!

killhamster

12 May 2022

Fantastically produced, gives me real A Perfect Circle vibes. I feel like a lot of folks dealt with a lot of heavy stuff during the pandemic, especially at the beginning, and it's led to some great art, even if the circumstances leading to it weren't so great. As for a song that's been in progress for a long time, I agree that lots of things lose their momentum if you take too long but occasionally you get a song that benefits from it, and usually that one ends up being great. I really like this, awesome job

Uman's

12 May 2022

Hi

Something very "Tears for fears".

Here, i really like the atmosphere and the drums. Very nice.

Everything fits together and the voice is fine.

just perfect for me.

Thx for sharing
- Former member of the disappeared forum "Reason France" -

adfielding

13 May 2022

killhamster wrote:
12 May 2022
Fantastically produced, gives me real A Perfect Circle vibes. I feel like a lot of folks dealt with a lot of heavy stuff during the pandemic, especially at the beginning, and it's led to some great art, even if the circumstances leading to it weren't so great. As for a song that's been in progress for a long time, I agree that lots of things lose their momentum if you take too long but occasionally you get a song that benefits from it, and usually that one ends up being great. I really like this, awesome job
Thanks so much for the kind words, I love APC (well… the first two albums, the latest has yet to grow on me but it’s been a while since I last listened!) so that’s a huge compliment. Cheers!
Uman's wrote:
12 May 2022
Hi

Something very "Tears for fears".

Here, i really like the atmosphere and the drums. Very nice.

Everything fits together and the voice is fine.

just perfect for me.

Thx for sharing
Thank you for listening, I really appreciate it :) I’m glad you liked it!

Uman's

13 May 2022

You must continue ! :clap:
- Former member of the disappeared forum "Reason France" -

Billy+

13 May 2022

;)

adfielding

16 May 2022

Uman's wrote:
13 May 2022
You must continue ! :clap: