(Drum & Bass) Shanghai Delta - Flute Soup (RBM VIP)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
killhamster

10 May 2022

I have some friends who live in Shanghai that I used to jam with, and since the city has been under pretty strict lockdown we all collaborated on a virtual jam, passing stems back and forth with a tempo and key and building on them, then they handed it all over to me to arrange and mix. I did a couple of versions of this one, one with a more ambient intro, and this busier version that has drums playing throughout, which I like a bit more.

moalla

11 May 2022

I instantly pressed the download button at soundcloud, really nice tune. Can´t wait to dance on it with friends outside ;)
So please send your track to the crazy people of the ruFFM radio show, they will like it :P and will show it Frankfurt maybe at saturday 6pm at RadioX

contact1@ruffm.com

nice regards
Anchtifi
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

killhamster

12 May 2022

Very cool, I'll be sure to drop them a line. This one's also been sent to the DEF CON organizers for consideration for their soundtrack album for this year :cool:

Uman's

12 May 2022

The atmosphere is very nice and it makes me think of what I could listen to from these
distant countries like "Joi Bani".

A small reserve on the beat that I find too intrusive.
From the introduction, breaks would have been welcome.
No breaks here for meditation.

It's an interesting track that I put directly in my favorites. Thank you for sharing.
- Former member of the disappeared forum "Reason France" -

danc

13 May 2022

Like it. I personally feel that the beginning could be thinned out initially and thus build up. And I think that later on in the track it needs some additional ideas replacing some of the sounds, as I feel that some are just overused one too many times - or they stay there but but made quieter and take up less of the EQ spectrum (thin out). So - my issues all relate to arrangement.

Seriously, well done though.
Check my Soundcloud:

strangers
Competition Winner

13 May 2022

The drums really drive this track. Definitely keep the busy drums in there, it sounds really good. What'd you use for drums?

killhamster

13 May 2022

strangers wrote:
13 May 2022
The drums really drive this track. Definitely keep the busy drums in there, it sounds really good. What'd you use for drums?
I have a huge collection of rex loops I've built up over the years, just tons and tons of D&B refills. This was on top of the glitchy percussion elements my friends provided. The thing that really added to the movement was processing them with various delays, several synchronous devices, modulation devices, pitch shifters, filters, and finally stutter edit. It's kind of a huge mess, and all my D&B tracks end up the same way, but whenever I'm looking at it, it manages to make sense.
danc wrote:
13 May 2022
Like it. I personally feel that the beginning could be thinned out initially and thus build up. And I think that later on in the track it needs some additional ideas replacing some of the sounds, as I feel that some are just overused one too many times - or they stay there but but made quieter and take up less of the EQ spectrum (thin out). So - my issues all relate to arrangement.

Seriously, well done though.
Thanks! The other version is very stark and empty up to the 3:15 mark and while my friends liked it, I just wasn't satisfied. It definitely lets the different instrumentation breathe (and lol, buried deep in the mix is a slow, steady breathing sample) but it wasn't nearly as propulsive. I wanted something really really dense, inspired by the Plug remix of NIN's "The Perfect Drug" and sought that out in this version. Also I loved the flute. One of these guys has like every Chinese instrument there is and it's super fun to integrate them into weird modern music.

• Information