(Techno/House?) System Monique

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Popey
Competition Winner

08 May 2022

I wanted to make something using the arturia modular vst and after noodling around created this from some of the presets and other vst like serum, diva etc. Delays and reverb are from reason rack along with rack dynamics and eq on every channel and some master bus compression.

Any feedback would be appreciated in general but especially around the mixing and mastering as i am still focussing heavily on this area. Thanks :)

Uman's

08 May 2022

Hi,

Who is Monique ? A French Girl ? :lol:
I especially like the last part, very crazy as I like.
I would have built the whole track around this part.

The mixing and mastering seems coherent to me but I don't like this bass.
Too resonant and with too diffuse a sound for my taste.
I would have liked something rounder and snappier for the bass instrument.

Nevertheless, very good work, as usual ! :clap:
- Former member of the disappeared forum "Reason France" -

Popey
Competition Winner

08 May 2022

Uman's wrote:
08 May 2022
Hi,

Who is Monique ? A French Girl ? :lol:
I especially like the last part, very crazy as I like.
I would have built the whole track around this part.

The mixing and mastering seems coherent to me but I don't like this bass.
Too resonant and with too diffuse a sound for my taste.
I would have liked something rounder and snappier for the bass instrument.

Nevertheless, very good work, as usual ! :clap:
Why yes Monique is from Brittany, the port of St. Malo. Alas she is not real and was a character in a book my girlfriend was reading. I just like the name 😄

Thanks for listening and the feedback Uman's

Uman's

08 May 2022

Monique is a French woman name.
In France we laugh a lot at this first name with dubious jokes.
- Former member of the disappeared forum "Reason France" -

Popey
Competition Winner

10 May 2022

Tweaked this quite a bit today with the mix and master.

RTFX

11 May 2022

You could teach me a thing or two about mixing and mastering.
Sounds good!
The drop hits a bit harder after the first break compared to the second. I think you thinned out the 1st break a bit more?
This is your project, so oc i respect it as it is, but when it comes to structure you could have used ghostnotes or variance in velocity a bit more for the hats and maybe the snare or clap.
Imo 4/4 beats tend to become a little boring if you dont. But then again, it can be the steady driving force of the track and maybe you just want it to be that way. Could be.
Furthermore, I like pretty much all instruments you chose and they sit well in the mix.
Another song in the bank, mister!
All my tracks on my YouTube channel⬇️ https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK0j ... P0EoiuUkNO

strangers
Competition Winner

11 May 2022

I found the siren-y horn sound that happens every few seconds to be pretty annoying. Aside from that, everything else sounded great. I agree with Uman's, I really like the last section. It's like controlled chaos. Good work!

Popey
Competition Winner

12 May 2022

RTFX wrote:
11 May 2022
You could teach me a thing or two about mixing and mastering.
Sounds good!
The drop hits a bit harder after the first break compared to the second. I think you thinned out the 1st break a bit more?
This is your project, so oc i respect it as it is, but when it comes to structure you could have used ghostnotes or variance in velocity a bit more for the hats and maybe the snare or clap.
Imo 4/4 beats tend to become a little boring if you dont. But then again, it can be the steady driving force of the track and maybe you just want it to be that way. Could be.
Furthermore, I like pretty much all instruments you chose and they sit well in the mix.
Another song in the bank, mister!
Thanks I am not sure about teaching people about mixing/mastering as i normally have to make a fair few versions as i notice stuff i have missed before. I have found that using the reason ssl eq rack extension or my ssl channel strip vst has made a big difference though eqing without visual representation. My mastering chain is usually very basic with a compressor, eq and limiter (maybe soothe 2 if i think it needs a touch). Most things i notice when mastering need fixing in the mix though so usually return to the project to fix things there.

You are correct about the drop and this is not a conscious decision. Might try making this harder when i go back to this track and see which i prefer.
The ghost notes/velocity comment is interesting and it is things like this that really benefit me learning. I realised that i never put any velocity changes to my snares/claps and there is no reason why i have not. Everything else (apart from Kick, snare and sub) in my music always has velocity changes so thinking about it i have no idea why i have never done this for claps. There is some velocity changes to the hats but these are potentially too subtle.

I really appreciate you taking the time to provide great feedback and will get to work trying some of the suggestions above. Thank you.

Popey
Competition Winner

12 May 2022

strangers wrote:
11 May 2022
I found the siren-y horn sound that happens every few seconds to be pretty annoying. Aside from that, everything else sounded great. I agree with Uman's, I really like the last section. It's like controlled chaos. Good work!
Thanks for listening Strangers and appreciate the comments. I quite like the sireny horn and feel that it adds some consistency through the track but appreciate we are all different. It is actually quite a unoriginal and frequent sound for the artists i listen too.

Glad you liked the end section i wanted to take it in an unexpected direction but with still keeping a lot of the other sounds so it remains one track and not two ideas merged into one song. Thanks for listening :)

Popey
Competition Winner

14 May 2022

Popey wrote:
08 May 2022
I wanted to make something using the arturia modular vst and after noodling around created this from some of the presets and other vst like serum, diva etc. Delays and reverb are from reason rack along with rack dynamics and eq on every channel and some master bus compression.

Any feedback would be appreciated in general but especially around the mixing and mastering as i am still focussing heavily on this area. Thanks :)

Edit: 14th May, mastered this again today and lot happier with result. Mastering chain: pro q3 eq , free Tokyo Dawn kotelnikov mastering compressor, pro l2 limiter

• Information