Slow Wave - (indie) by The Great Mistake

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
guitfnky

21 Apr 2022

my band has finally released the first single from an upcoming album. this was done entirely in Reason, except for mastering (Ableton Live). it was probably the most complex project/song I’ve done, and we’re all really happy with how it turned out.

it’s just the first half of a longer song, but stands well on its own. been out on the major streaming platforms for a while, but we just got it up on soundcloud and bandcamp.

check it out and let us know what you think.

I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Uman's

21 Apr 2022

Hi

The composition is quite good. The voices are great. I'm more skeptical about the sound quality.
It is attenuated and the voices are too indented.
Is it just a demo? the end ends abruptly.
- Former member of the disappeared forum "Reason France" -

guitfnky

21 Apr 2022

Uman's wrote:
21 Apr 2022
Hi

The composition is quite good. The voices are great. I'm more skeptical about the sound quality.
It is attenuated and the voices are too indented.
Is it just a demo? the end ends abruptly.
thanks! it’s not a demo, although I suspect the file that was submitted to soundcloud and bandcamp is the same one we submitted to CDBaby—which is I think 2 db below 0, which may be why it sounds attenuated. not sure what you mean by the voices being indented though? it had to end with a more abrupt fade than I’d prefer because of how the full song is. there’s a few extra sections to the full thing that will be there when we put out the album (and no fade out). anyway, appreciate the feedback!

Uman's

21 Apr 2022

guitfnky wrote:thanks! it’s not a demo... it had to end with a more abrupt fade than I’d prefer because of how the full song is. there’s a few extra sections to the full thing that will be there when we put out the album (and no fade out).
I understand why in this case.
In the first place, I didn't have the impression of hearing a fade,
I had the impression that the end was simply cut off.
guitfnky wrote:I suspect the file that was submitted to soundcloud and bandcamp is the same one we submitted to CDBaby—which is I think 2 db below 0, which may be why it sounds attenuated.
I would then just have to turn up the listening volume, but no, that's not it.
All frequencies are overwritten. (not distinct enough.)
For example, the treble is not clear.
Maybe a compression fault in the Soundcloud recording ?
(i accuse Soundcloud LoL)
guitfnky wrote:not sure what you mean by the voices being indented though?
The voices are very distant, almost inaudible, I have trouble hearing the lyrics.

guitfnky

22 Apr 2022

Uman's wrote:
21 Apr 2022
guitfnky wrote:thanks! it’s not a demo... it had to end with a more abrupt fade than I’d prefer because of how the full song is. there’s a few extra sections to the full thing that will be there when we put out the album (and no fade out).
I understand why in this case.
In the first place, I didn't have the impression of hearing a fade,
I had the impression that the end was simply cut off.
guitfnky wrote:I suspect the file that was submitted to soundcloud and bandcamp is the same one we submitted to CDBaby—which is I think 2 db below 0, which may be why it sounds attenuated.
I would then just have to turn up the listening volume, but no, that's not it.
All frequencies are overwritten. (not distinct enough.)
For example, the treble is not clear.
Maybe a compression fault in the Soundcloud recording ?
(i accuse Soundcloud LoL)
guitfnky wrote:not sure what you mean by the voices being indented though?
The voices are very distant, almost inaudible, I have trouble hearing the lyrics.
interesting--not sure why it's cutting out for you. seems to fade out okay for me here.

yeah, it is a very dense arrangement (most of our songs are), so a certain amount of masking is unavoidable. that said, I don't prefer mixes that sound super carved up where everything feels like its in a different space. it sounds (to me) more like a band this way. a little masking isn't a bad thing! actually, some of my favorite songs have quite a lot of it!

vocals are a tricky thing, because everyone's got a different idea of how up front they should be. I grew up on 90s alt rock where a lot of the time you couldn't hear much more than the vocal melody, and had to rely on reading liner notes for lyrics (wow, I'm really dating myself here 😅). I try to keep vocals intelligible but usually stay far away from having them significantly more prominent than the rest of the music. I don't have any trouble hearing the lyrics in this song, but then again, that could be because I'm already familiar with it.

thanks for taking the time to listen! 😊

Uman's

29 Apr 2022

Yes, not everyone has the same reaction to frequencies
A question of perception.

I still really like this track ! :lol:

• Information