(Dance) B+RT4BL

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Popey
Competition Winner

19 Apr 2022

Hi, dropping this here in case it inspires someone to also take up Billy's 4 bar loop challenge (or the Rumblit/word of the month challenges if they prefer)

Billy's challenge is here: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=7527388

Uman's

19 Apr 2022

Hi Popey,

You amaze me when I see that you started from a simple basic melodic line.

You are too powerful !

Nice work !

Hey friends ? this track must be play LOUD !!!!
- Former member of the disappeared forum "Reason France" -

Popey
Competition Winner

19 Apr 2022

Uman's wrote:
19 Apr 2022
Hi Popey,

You amaze me when I see that you started from a simple basic melodic line.

You are too powerful !

Nice work !

Hey friends ? this track must be play LOUD !!!!
Thanks Uman's. I enjoyed this challenge and there is something quite restrictive but focused about working from a seed of an idea. Trying to make a full track from a 4 bar loop and just use the midi for virtually all aspects was fun.

Uman's

19 Apr 2022

Can you explain your process to us please?
did you listen to the proposed loop and view it in mind ?
Did you whistle it first ?

Another question please, where does the voice come from?

Popey
Competition Winner

20 Apr 2022

Uman's wrote:
19 Apr 2022
Can you explain your process to us please?
did you listen to the proposed loop and view it in mind ?
Did you whistle it first ?

Another question please, where does the voice come from?
Hi Umans the vocal comes from splice and it is from a pack called future pop and vocals 3, I have no idea of the singers name but imo they have a beautiful voice.

As for how I approached this. Listening to the piece with piano gave me no idea where to go with it but I decided as it has a chord progression I would work from there. I copied the midi numerous times so I could mute notes as I go and use different parts of the midi for different aspects of the track. First up I muted the 8th note line at c3, the bottom notes of the chord at c1 and the individual notes att the top d5 upwards. I then created the pad sound on these chords at the start and from creating this sound the idea was born. Once I had pads I added the kick, clap and 16th hats to give me a foundation. I then made the bass by taking the chord progression bottom notes, shortened them to 16th notes and made the bass by moving every other note to create the bass. Then I felt it needed a vocal so found that on splice and chopped/processed it with reverb delay etc. Arp lines were created from the chords but there are two arps set to different arp types (down and chord). Finally I used the top notes d5 upwards to create the lead using the notes as is but chopped the 4 bar loop down and moved them about with a different synth sound on each so there is a bit of difference and almost like call and response. I then added a bit more percussion to try and add groove. Hope this makes sense and if not happy to explain anything further.

Rising Night Wave

20 Apr 2022

Hi Popey.

This song is not bad at all. But somehow is to less diverse. It is somehow borng at the end.
I hope you do not mind me saying this and being open and straight.

If you still have interest in this song then you should somehow diversify this song.
Do add some magical elements like not too obvious and conspicuous risers, fallers, some transaction elements,... and so.
I do not know but song is somehow to little complex for this style. I mean, style is by itself minimal. I am not sure what i want to say with this but for me - for my taste this yours song is too less diverse and towards theend it becomes boring. To repetitive.

Well this would be all from me. Song is anyway nice and cool but.... as I said.

Cheers.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

Popey
Competition Winner

20 Apr 2022

Rising Night Wave wrote:
20 Apr 2022
Hi Popey.

This song is not bad at all. But somehow is to less diverse. It is somehow borng at the end.

If you still have interest in this song then you should somehow diversify this song.
Do add some magical elements like not too obvious and conspicuous risers, fallers, some transaction elements,... and so.
I do not know but song is somehow to little complex for this style. I mean, style is by itself minimal. I am not sure what i want to say with this but for me - for my taste this yours song is too less diverse and towards theend it becomes boring. To repetitive.

Cheers.
Hi Rising Night Wave, that's cool and fair feedback as it was a very quick track to challenge myself to make something from the loop. I probably could have took more time on the transitions and fx. Not sure if I will go back to this as working on a couple of tracks and time can be an issue but never say never. Thanks for listening and appreciate the feedback.

Rising Night Wave

20 Apr 2022

Popey wrote:
20 Apr 2022
Rising Night Wave wrote:
20 Apr 2022
Hi Popey.

Cheers.
Hi Rising Night Wave, that's cool and fair feedback as it was a very quick track to challenge myself to make something from the loop. I probably could have took more time on the transitions and fx. Not sure if I will go back to this as working on a couple of tracks and time can be an issue but never say never. Thanks for listening and appreciate the feedback.
Thanks. You're welcome!
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

Uman's

20 Apr 2022

Hi Popey,
Popey wrote:the vocal comes from splice and it is from a pack called future pop and vocals 3, I have no idea of the singers name but imo they have a beautiful voice.
Thanks for the info. Beautiful voice indeed !
Popey wrote:As for how I approached this. Listening to the piece with piano gave me no idea where to go with it but I decided as it has a chord progression I would work from there. I copied the midi numerous times so I could mute notes as I go and use different parts of the midi for different aspects of the track. First up I muted the 8th note line at c3, the bottom notes of the chord at c1 and the individual notes att the top d5 upwards. I then created the pad sound on these chords at the start and from creating this sound the idea was born. Once I had pads I added the kick, clap and 16th hats to give me a foundation. I then made the bass by taking the chord progression bottom notes, shortened them to 16th notes and made the bass by moving every other note to create the bass. Then I felt it needed a vocal so found that on splice and chopped/processed it with reverb delay etc. Arp lines were created from the chords but there are two arps set to different arp types (down and chord). Finally I used the top notes d5 upwards to create the lead using the notes as is but chopped the 4 bar loop down and moved them about with a different synth sound on each so there is a bit of difference and almost like call and response. I then added a bit more percussion to try and add groove. Hope this makes sense and if not happy to explain anything further.
No, it's very well explained Thanks you.
A method we should follow.
I insist on quoting you so that those who intervene on this subject see it well.. ;)
Rising Night Wave wrote:But somehow is to less diverse. It is somehow borng at the end.
There is much more boring ! No ?
I don't believe what I read. :shock:
Popey wrote: it was a very quick track to challenge myself to make something from the loop. I probably could have took more time on the transitions and fx.
It's clear that it's done in a hurry for the challenge put online in your first message.
The urgency is indeed felt, but I have not noted this detail in the post, because it is not really important.
We know why you hurried.
I wanted to highlight this aptitude that you had to compose so quickly, in a beautiful way and
with a base of a few imposed notes.

that IS the most wonderful to talk about i think ! :clap:

Billy+

20 Apr 2022

Cool track popey

I'm thinking that you win by default but that's not doing you justice, I'm glad you enjoyed the challenge it's definitely a shame that nobody else has tried.

Popey
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2022

Billy+ wrote:
20 Apr 2022
Cool track popey

I'm thinking that you win by default but that's not doing you justice, I'm glad you enjoyed the challenge it's definitely a shame that nobody else has tried.
Woohoo I win (joking).

I just enjoy the challenges and you are right it is a shame more people do not do the challenges as they are just a bit of fun but appreciate people may not have time.

I am generally shocked how few entries there are so far for the rumblit challenge though as that actually has good prizes to win. I am hoping there has been more entries that people have not posted up publicly as it closes soon.

• Information