(Drum & Bass) Let It Follow

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
killhamster

08 Apr 2022

I've been working on an album's worth of material and put out a couple of tracks early. This was the first one I managed to complete and post. Some pals from another forum had been discussing D&B and how to produce it and posted a video someone had done about how to make classic-sounding D&B tracks. After watching that I applied a couple of tricks from it and this just came out almost all at once, which is always the best feeling.

I'd originally planned to make a sort of maxi-single of it with several remixes, but only one of the people I contacted to do this finished, and I made a couple of alternate versions myself, so I'm just going to tag them onto the end of the album as bonus tracks.
Last edited by killhamster on 15 Apr 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Rising Night Wave

08 Apr 2022

boyiii, this is good. i like the sound of cymbals at the beginning.
then, i do not like that much of low-end sub bass synth.
melody is fine, i quite like it.
hm, tempo is right. it fits the theme/feeling of song.
but, if i were doing this song, i would have done it with higher tempo and a bit more aggressive.
but that is my way. not yours. so take it with reserve.
am, before wocals came in the place, the song gets somehow boring, repetitive, not interesting.
the red line gets lost.
but when vocals came the frst feeling comes back.
if i am honest i do not like the colour of female vocal. sorry. again, only my oppinion.
what matters to mixing and mastering: it is very well done. i personally would not change anything.
i am listenin to this song now on my studio reference headphones Shure SRG1840 and sound good. very good.
you must know that i am not that skilled at mastering. but it sounds good for me/my taste.
only maybe at the end that pad sound is a bit too loud. but it still is not that much loud that it would be problematic. just a little bit.
am. song is interesting enough that can hanle this length. so it is not boring overall.
well... that would be all from me.

nicely done. thumbs up.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

killhamster

08 Apr 2022

Thanks for the feedback! I've had mixed results with the noisy, distorted basses that you find in some styles of D&B and really like the deep, subby basses, but I can see how that's not for everyone. That's an Algoritm patch called "808 slap" (I think) and I've ended up using it even more than Monotone, but I do end up stacking more textured basses on it, tuned an octave up.

The vocals came from Splice (which I don't like much, I cancelled my membership after a couple of months. I just couldn't find samples I liked that much there. I think I just focus more on synthesis in my compositions.) and I had to pitch them up and down a little to stay in key, so that might be coloring them a little. They're also absolutely drenched in reverb and chorus (in that order, it was one of the methods outlined in the aforementioned video.)

Thank you for the compliments on the mixing :puf_bigsmile: It's one of those things I've been practicing and improving for years and years and any time someone notices, it's a great feeling. Every project ends up with lots of little sidechain compressors and dynamic EQs to get things to fit just right, it always shocks me when people admit they've never explored the back of the rack in Reason. It's where half the magic happens.

Popey
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2022

I'm liking this. Really nice programming on the breakbeats.

Uman's

14 Apr 2022

Personally I find it long. Boring limit but I guess it's the style that wants this.
For me it's shy in everything. The melody arrives but remains unfinished, we wait for it to really play.
Sorry for this comment.
- Former member of the disappeared forum "Reason France" -

killhamster

15 Apr 2022

Haha no worries, not everything will appeal to everyone. To top it off, melodies were never my strong suit. I used to write with a friend and he'd handle melodies and interesting basslines and I'd cover all the rhythmic elements as those were my area of expertise. I haven't had a co-writer like that for a long time and consequently my compositions have suffered a bit.
Last edited by killhamster on 15 Apr 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Uman's

16 Apr 2022

So you have to persevere, because I feel talent dormant.
(and sorry but I didn't say I hated it, it's to encourage you to perform !)
- Former member of the disappeared forum "Reason France" -

rare_shadow
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2022

I like the clean mix, especially the cymbals. Everything sounds lush.
The vocal-like sounds starting from 4:20 are great.
The flow of the track is also great. I was never not bored.

• Information