(Techno/house) Netheredge

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Popey
Competition Winner

20 Mar 2022

Not 100% sure on genre.

klasson

23 Mar 2022

This was really nice! I know you are trying to make longer tracks and I think you might have hit the spot here. Its not to many changes, and still don't feel to repetitive. :thumbup:

There is something about the vocal sample though, might just be me but it feels a bit out of place. The processing is nice, but they give a more "housey" vibe. But at the same time, they kind of fit and peeks my interest. So I guess they are fine? I don't know, sorry :lol:

But really nice job! And man you are fast, spitting out tracks left and right! :clap:

Popey
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2022

klasson wrote:
23 Mar 2022
This was really nice! I know you are trying to make longer tracks and I think you might have hit the spot here. Its not to many changes, and still don't feel to repetitive. :thumbup:

There is something about the vocal sample though, might just be me but it feels a bit out of place. The processing is nice, but they give a more "housey" vibe. But at the same time, they kind of fit and peeks my interest. So I guess they are fine? I don't know, sorry :lol:

But really nice job! And man you are fast, spitting out tracks left and right! :clap:
Thanks for listening Klasson and appreciate the feedback. I kinda agree on the vocals and I guess that is where my slight hesitance about genre comes from. I kinda liked it so just ran with it :lol:

As for being fast I agree as currently I seem to be getting ideas quickly and now I have a fair amount of my serum presets I usually have something in the ballpark of what I want that I can tweak to taste with a few lfo, wavetable, pitch modifications etc in a short space of time. I certainly feel I am reaping the benefits of all the time I spent learning synthesis/reverse engineering presets in the styles I like.

Uman's

23 Mar 2022

Wow !

It's magical ! Talent is there ! I love the melodic lines in the second part ! Good job !

PoPeY PoWeR !!!!!
- Former member of the disappeared forum "Reason France" -

Synthopathe

24 Mar 2022

This sounds great. Really liked the instrument sounds and the vocals. It develops really well. Some of those arp and lead sounds are wonderful. Liked how the intro plucked stringy sound comes back in near the end.

Popey
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2022

Uman's wrote:
23 Mar 2022
Wow !

It's magical ! Talent is there ! I love the melodic lines in the second part ! Good job !

PoPeY PoWeR !!!!!
Thanks Uman i appreciate the positive comments and this track was my first attempt to try and add more melody based on your feedback from my last track. I actually think i would not be learning half as much without the constructive feedback from people like yourself and other Reason talk members (too many to list individually as i would not want to forget anyone)

Popey
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2022

Synthopathe wrote:
24 Mar 2022
This sounds great. Really liked the instrument sounds and the vocals. It develops really well. Some of those arp and lead sounds are wonderful. Liked how the intro plucked stringy sound comes back in near the end.
Thanks Syntopathe it is nice to hear such positive comments and glad you liked some of my sounds. I notice that you do a lot of stuff with hardware and perhaps one day i will be lucky enough to afford some hardware myself. For now i am just content with using wavetables from hardware synths within serum.

Long before i understood synthesis or was into production i used to go to my friends studio and mess about with his nord lead keyboard and other digital synths he had (just using the presets) and i still one day want to own a nord lead. That big ole red keyboard used to have me smiling my head off with the sounds it created.

Uman's

24 Mar 2022

popey wrote:Thanks Uman i appreciate the positive comments and this track was my first attempt to try and add more melody based on your feedback from my last track. I actually think i would not be learning half as much without the constructive feedback from people like yourself and other Reason talk members (too many to list individually as i would not want to forget anyone)
Thank you ! I felt on this track that you had thought of me ! :lol:

Frankly the melodic side adds a great dimension ! :clap:
- Former member of the disappeared forum "Reason France" -

raymondh

26 Mar 2022

This is really great work! The only thing I'd add to the other comments is I think you've done a great job with the mixing/production. Nicely balanced and quite a polished sound to my ears.

Popey
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2022

raymondh wrote:
26 Mar 2022
This is really great work! The only thing I'd add to the other comments is I think you've done a great job with the mixing/production. Nicely balanced and quite a polished sound to my ears.
Thanks raymondh, appreciate the feedback 👍

strangers
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2022

I usually find this style to be overly repetitive where I'm consistently skipping ahead to hear if there's anything else. Like others have said, you hit a really nice balance here. The melodies really help drive this song and keep interest. Nice work!

Popey
Competition Winner

01 Apr 2022

strangers wrote:
31 Mar 2022
I usually find this style to be overly repetitive where I'm consistently skipping ahead to hear if there's anything else. Like others have said, you hit a really nice balance here. The melodies really help drive this song and keep interest. Nice work!
Thanks for the kind words Strangers, appreciate the feedback. :thumbs_up:

Last Alternative

02 Apr 2022

Strong kick! Is the beat loops or all from scratch? That beat is killer fr. Such clean bass too. I suck at getting a clear bass with no mud so right on. The whole build up is smooth as silk. Definitely trance house to me. You should make a like 3hrs focus/study sesh for YouTube. I would jam this at work. You gave plenty of stuff to keep it moving and changing and interesting. 2 thumbs up 👍👍
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Popey
Competition Winner

02 Apr 2022

Last Alternative wrote:
02 Apr 2022
Strong kick! Is the beat loops or all from scratch? That beat is killer fr. Such clean bass too. I suck at getting a clear bass with no mud so right on. The whole build up is smooth as silk. Definitely trance house to me. You should make a like 3hrs focus/study sesh for YouTube. I would jam this at work. You gave plenty of stuff to keep it moving and changing and interesting. 2 thumbs up 👍👍
Thanks for the positive comments i really appreciate the feedback. The beats are all individual samples (not loops) which i have then processed with distortion, reverb, delay etc. I personally have found my drums lacking in previous tracks so have been spending a lot of time understanding syncopation and moving things slightly off grid to add groove and allow other elements to have space.

For the bass i split it to two parts with a sub layer (in this song it is lowpassed to about 65hz with a small peak/bump ) and then i have a top layer which is above this (in this track it is eq to only have content above 80hz as the kick filled in the rest). This enables me to keep the sub layer constant and add movement to the top layer with modulation to distortion, filter etc). These two bass layers are then grouped, sidechained to the kick and ssl bus compression applied to try and glue them together. Not sure if this is normal procedure but i just make it up as i go along :lol:

I recently tried making a video to help out a friend who was learning but could not get the video recorded from my soundcard using the windows capture software. I am sure there is a way to do this but might need to google it to see. I would happily record my sessions if people were interested in what i was doing. I could share the links to my friend in NZ too so they could see instead of me trying to explain over whatsapp.

• Information