Post your non-4/4 tunes here, plz!

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Gothi

10 Mar 2022

Hi
For all of you who are interested in other signatures than straight forward 4/4, I wonder if you would help make a thread with your own examples?

E.g. sometimes I am amazed how modern DAWs can offer 40+ gb of prefab'ed loop to newcomers all in 4/4 with the trivial subdivision of 8 and 16.

Come one! We can count to more (or less) than four. It is but one of many time signatures. Let's explore the others.

As to signatures allowed, note that I do not consider a shuffled 4/4 a straight forward 4/4 because the subdivision will actually be pushed toward 12 or 24 and not 8 or 16. So if you got some shuffle or swing this will do. So will a Waltz. Likewise if you have a tune where parts of it is in 4/4 but it alternates between other signatures, it is welcome too. However, a syncopated 4/4 is still a 4/4, so being funky won't help it turn into something else. :puf_bigsmile:

I will start by posting some examples and hope you will chime in with yours.

5/8

5/8 -> 5/4 -> 5/8

6/8 -> 4/4 -> 6/8

7/4

Freya's peace and happy music making to all of ya :violin:

Gothi
ToH

Marc64

10 Mar 2022

Here are 2 of my non 4/4 tracks .

Aosta

10 Mar 2022

Well here is something I'm currently working on, bit stuck on where to take it but it sure ain't 4/4 :thumbup:

guitfnky

10 Mar 2022

love that 7/4 groove! I think that kind of playful use of syncopation in odd times can really help keep a solid groove. 👍

here's one from the album I put out a while back---by far my most rhythmically complex song, but I think it all flows really well.

one turn of the verse is actually 2 bars of 4/4 followed by a bar of 5/4, then another 2 bars of 4/4. pre-chorus could be counted as 7/4, but I suppose it'd be more accurate to call it a bar of 4/4 and a bar of 3/4.

here's one I recorded with my band way back around 2010 or so--the verses are in 7/8, and the bassline and drums function similarly to your 7/4 beat.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Gothi

11 Mar 2022

Aosta wrote:
10 Mar 2022
Well here is something I'm currently working on, bit stuck on where to take it but it sure ain't 4/4 :thumbup:

Sorry to tell you, mate, but I count 4/4. It is just a syncopated 4/4, I am afraid. Thanks for the interest, tho.

Aosta

11 Mar 2022

Gothi wrote:
11 Mar 2022
Sorry to tell you, mate, but I count 4/4. It is just a syncopated 4/4, I am afraid. Thanks for the interest, tho.
:lol: Well it isn't what I'd consider 4/4 as in 4 to the floor etc, misunderstood what you were requesting.
Tend the flame

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

11 Mar 2022

Very rarely do I have anything else but 4/4. But it does happen.

Here's a song I wrote in 5/8. And then there's a "floating" string part in the middle of the track that doesn't follow the grid at all. It's basically rhythmless. And then back to 5/8 again.

Gothi

12 Mar 2022

Aosta wrote:
11 Mar 2022
:lol: Well it isn't what I'd consider 4/4 as in 4 to the floor etc, misunderstood what you were requesting.
I have to take some blame for that mentioning 4 to the flour as prime example and then hiding this precation in my text below: "However, a syncopated 4/4 is still a 4/4, so being funky won't help it turn into something else." . Sir, funky you are, but let´s save this for a thread about syncopated beats. :thumbup:

raymondh

12 Mar 2022

Not my best work, but this old track is 3/4 (maybe lost a beat when we found out we were having another child :) )

Chizmata

13 Mar 2022

pretty much everything of what i do. its always triple polymetrics, for example 7/4 + 11/4 + 17/4 or even more complex resolutions. but occasionally a 4/4 might sneak in there.

https://chizmata.bandcamp.com/

Gothi

13 Mar 2022

Thanks for all the contributions so far. It is exciting listening. I get so fatigued of 4/4, so these are very welcome variations. :thumbup:

Dabbler

13 Mar 2022

Audiol

13 Mar 2022

I like odd tunes too. :puf_smile:

5/4

7/8

Gothi

19 Mar 2022

Thanks for your examples, they are appreciated. :-)

We have a new one up. Polyrhythmic 6 gainst 4.

Kind Regards
Gothi and Peter
ToH

Gothi

19 Mar 2022

Audiol wrote:
13 Mar 2022
I like odd tunes too. :puf_smile:

5/4

7/8

Ultracool. As in ultra ultra cool. :cool:

elMisse

20 Mar 2022

Cool stuff dudes!

This one was a "what ever suits the arpeggio"- meter, if I remember correctly.

Gothi

20 Mar 2022

^^^ Thanks for joining the cool-division then, elMisse :thumbs_up: I am really grateful. I am so fatigued of 4/4 that I need an alternative playlist, so every contribution counts. it cannot be long enough.
guitfnky wrote:
10 Mar 2022
[Finish Line]
Wow. The retro-mood. The vocal. Sounds so British and 80s. It is like I have heard it before. Cannot put my finger on it, but the mood reminds me a little of Talk Talk, which was my ultimate favorite new romantic/progrock band followed closely by Saga. Thanks for this contribution.
guitfnky wrote:
10 Mar 2022
love that 7/4 groove! I think that kind of playful use of syncopation in odd times can really help keep a solid groove. 👍
Thanks. I am so glad you got that by default, because I do have personal syncopation twists to most rhythms and sometimes my placing confuses people. It is not like I really know what I am doing. Had a wonderful Afro-American percussion teacher back in the 90s who had a very native spiritual approach to it all. He said I only need two things: 1. That everyone, and in particular myself, knows which damn drum is in charge of the one-downbeat, and 2. Once I get my basic accents/figure, a "clave", I should just stop thinking, start playing, and let my body do the woodoo. He gave nothing for standard western textbooks on the matter. What a guy. He taught me to flow in any signature, and I still have no clue how he got it into my stiff Danish body or how it really works, but his spirit is all over anything I do.

Thanks again for the contributions :puf_smile:

Kind Regards
Gothi

Synthopathe

20 Mar 2022

Gothi wrote:
10 Mar 2022
Hi
For all of you who are interested in other signatures than straight forward 4/4, I wonder if you would help make a thread with your own examples?

E.g. sometimes I am amazed how modern DAWs can offer 40+ gb of prefab'ed loop to newcomers all in 4/4 with the trivial subdivision of 8 and 16.

Come one! We can count to more (or less) than four. It is but one of many time signatures. Let's explore the others.

As to signatures allowed, note that I do not consider a shuffled 4/4 a straight forward 4/4 because the subdivision will actually be pushed toward 12 or 24 and not 8 or 16. So if you got some shuffle or swing this will do. So will a Waltz. Likewise if you have a tune where parts of it is in 4/4 but it alternates between other signatures, it is welcome too. However, a syncopated 4/4 is still a 4/4, so being funky won't help it turn into something else. :puf_bigsmile:

I will start by posting some examples and hope you will chime in with yours.

5/8

5/8 -> 5/4 -> 5/8

6/8 -> 4/4 -> 6/8

7/4

Freya's peace and happy music making to all of ya :violin:

Gothi
ToH
Enjoyed the mood and sounds of all of these, especially the percussion. I've been watching a few Viking based TV shows recently and these would have suited the soundtracks.

Gothi

20 Mar 2022

Synthopathe wrote:
20 Mar 2022
Enjoyed the mood and sounds of all of these, especially the percussion. I've been watching a few Viking based TV shows recently and these would have suited the soundtracks.
Ah, thanks a lot, mate. Appreciation is my muse. Tbh, I think music forums otherwise can be so demotivating with heated discussion of this and that. You are helping making this forum a safe haven. Just finished first season of Vikings - Valhalla, and did thought of how it could be making music to such a series.

You could also check out our new tune then. Polyrhythmic with heavy arsed drums.

Kind Rega
Gothi

Wav-E

20 Mar 2022

intresting tracks here :clap:
I have few non 4/4 but I did´t see here 11/8 so here is one from me :

Gothi

21 Mar 2022

Wav-E wrote:
20 Mar 2022
intresting tracks here :clap:
I have few non 4/4 but I did´t see here 11/8 so here is one from me :
Nice. It is like a collage of different impulses from differen times. E. g. that native voice versus the gregorian choir, the classic string sound but with modern chromatic variations. Doing Electro Folk, anachronisms are part of our music too, some of it pointing to modern electro, other, way back to middle ages. There is something about time fusion that attracts us.

Thanks for sharing.
Gothi

Gothi

02 Oct 2022

Long time since we posted. A lot of work and life issues have prevented us from being active for a while, but now we are slowly returning. Here is a tune in 7/4. A lot of hardware in use, but it is mixed and mastered in Reason - the one and only daw for us.

Kind Regards
Gothi and Peter
Tribe of Hofund

ljekio

07 Oct 2022

Like odd grooves and this topic :)
Most of my tracks have non 4/4 signature.

3 cents from me

Gothi

18 Oct 2022

Greetings surface dwellers

Another tune from the darkness of Hel. It goes 10/4. Thus, the guitar theme + drums are counted in 10. However, the ocarina theme is in 4/4 occasionally turns the rhythm into a 10 against 8 (or 5 against 4 if you prefer) polyrhythm.

Freya´s Peace
Gothi and Peter
ToH

Gothi

17 Dec 2023

Hi
After one year with no music making, I am glad to be able to post a new tune in this thread. It is made with the MC909 and mastered in Reason. The tune is in 10/4 or 5/4 if you prefer.

Freya´s peace
Gothi
ToH

• Information