(Melodic House/Techno) Sausenburg

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Popey
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2022

My latest effort. Any comments appreciated

Billy+

14 Feb 2022

Cool track :clap:

The level of the kick during intro is a bit too much for me
Add a bit more length to the outro it seems to finish to quickly, in fact I think you could lengthen the whole track ;)
Maybe drop the hat/shaker for the first 4 - 8 bars of a phrase to relax for a while.

But hey it's a personal taste and I like what you've done, another cool track :thumbs_up:

Can't say anything about the mix other than I'm listening on my iPad and it sounds ok....

Popey
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2022

Billy+ wrote:
14 Feb 2022
Cool track :clap:

The level of the kick during intro is a bit too much for me
Add a bit more length to the outro it seems to finish to quickly, in fact I think you could lengthen the whole track ;)
Maybe drop the hat/shaker for the first 4 - 8 bars of a phrase to relax for a while.

But hey it's a personal taste and I like what you've done, another cool track :thumbs_up:

Can't say anything about the mix other than I'm listening on my iPad and it sounds ok....
Thanks billy. I agree about the kick and reduced it a few db. all other changes will have to wait until I next have a few moments.

I intentionally make these as short pieces though as i get bored other wise :oops: .

That and i use them as pieces whilst i learn. This track was all about me trying to get my head round parallel compression and reverb (on sends)

integerpoet

14 Feb 2022

Billy+ wrote:
14 Feb 2022
Add a bit more length to the outro it seems to finish to quickly…
SoundCloud spontaneously paused my playback at around 2:45, and I thought "DAMN, Billy was right!"

Popey
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2022

integerpoet wrote:
14 Feb 2022
Billy+ wrote:
14 Feb 2022
SoundCloud spontaneously paused my playback at around 2:45, and I thought "DAMN, Billy was right!"
Kind of the quick fade outs :lol:

My tracks are quite short at the moment but not that short ;)

Billy+

14 Feb 2022

Popey wrote:
14 Feb 2022

Thanks billy. I agree about the kick and reduced it a few db. all other changes will have to wait until I next have a few moments.

I intentionally make these as short pieces though as i get bored other wise :oops: .

That and i use them as pieces whilst i learn. This track was all about me trying to get my head round parallel compression and reverb (on sends)
Don't got changing it necessarily but maybe think about it during your next "learning session" I totally understand what your saying and sometimes going back into a sessions can really kill off the essence.

But I have listened to a lot of your tracks and in general I like them and prefer not to post anything critical but considering that you ask I decided that I would suggest adding a bit more length to the sections, I guess that the general content is "radio edit" rather than "club/ep" but

What you've made is nice to listen to

Personally I would like to hear longer breakdowns (16-32 bars) with lengthy (I think the kids are now calling drops) 32-64 bars, I also quite like a 16-32 bar mid intro which is something that seems to be quite popular as intros that are "hooky" rather than for the dj (drums with minimal bass) catch the casual listeners ;)

Honestly I hope it helps you - but don't like to post as text can come across negative when I'm definitely not trying to be.

Popey
Competition Winner

15 Feb 2022

Billy+ wrote:
14 Feb 2022
Popey wrote:
14 Feb 2022

Don't got changing it necessarily but maybe think about it during your next "learning session" I totally understand what your saying and sometimes going back into a sessions can really kill off the essence.

But I have listened to a lot of your tracks and in general I like them and prefer not to post anything critical but considering that you ask I decided that I would suggest adding a bit more length to the sections, I guess that the general content is "radio edit" rather than "club/ep" but

What you've made is nice to listen to

Personally I would like to hear longer breakdowns (16-32 bars) with lengthy (I think the kids are now calling drops) 32-64 bars, I also quite like a 16-32 bar mid intro which is something that seems to be quite popular as intros that are "hooky" rather than for the dj (drums with minimal bass) catch the casual listeners ;)

Honestly I hope it helps you - but don't like to post as text can come across negative when I'm definitely not trying to be.
Hi Billy it definitely does not come across as negative and I appreciate the comments from yourself and others on here. I tend to agree with the majority of comments I get and they really help me grow so am always happy when I receive them and it is something I would always actively encourage.

I still buy the odd track on beatport and agree about the drop and breakdown comments. Have to be honest and say I am not sure what you mean by mid intro so if you have any ideas of reference tracks with these it would be good to learn more.

I do think I am at the stage of my development now where I should try and complete a longer track (6-7 minutes) and concentrate on it over a longer time period instead of the one weekend learning tracks I have done up to now.

This would help me improve arrangement especially drops etc over a longer period. Thanks for listening and providing clear constructive feedback, lots for me to concentrate on.

Billy+

15 Feb 2022

Yeah I was thrown a bit by what I would refer to as a breakdown being called a mid intro but I think it's probably just a longer version of a hooky intro rather than a conventional breakdown.

Listen to this, it starts with the main vocal then after a minute or so repeats the intro section but longer with a few more elements - now I'm not sure that the original producer would consider it a mid intro.

Billy+

16 Feb 2022

This is a screen grab of my quick analysis of the track above if it interests you ;)
InMyHeart-DeepHouse.png
InMyHeart-DeepHouse.png (53.5 KiB) Viewed 2170 times

Popey
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2022

Billy+ wrote:
16 Feb 2022
This is a screen grab of my quick analysis of the track above if it interests you ;)

InMyHeart-DeepHouse.png
Cheers Billy. Listened to the track a few times and gives food for thought. It's not something I see commonly in melodic house/techno

klasson

16 Feb 2022

I really like the first couple of bars after the break! :thumbup:
It might just be me, but you might have a bit too many different synths and melodies introduced too fast. I think you could do a lot with less and instead of introducing new sounds you could play around with filtering and modulating earlier synths to make the track move forward.

But you have a clean-sounding mix and every sound has its place from what I can hear. Nice work!

And yea, it might end a bit suddenly, but a 4-minute track is not short in my opinion, seems tracks just gets shorter and shorter nowadays. I remember when I played out in the clubs and you needed a couple of "mix minutes" on every track to even get played :-)

Billy+

16 Feb 2022

Popey wrote:
16 Feb 2022
Billy+ wrote:
16 Feb 2022

InMyHeart-DeepHouse.png
Cheers Billy. Listened to the track a few times and gives food for thought. It's not something I see commonly in melodic house/techno
It's not something that I was aware of until recently, and I'm still not convinced that "mid intro" is really what it is but it's definitely worth thinking about in this world of limited attention - throw the main vocal in right from the start then create a breakdown that moves into a drum free melodic phrase that builds into the vocal.

Popey
Competition Winner

18 Feb 2022

klasson wrote:
16 Feb 2022
I really like the first couple of bars after the break! :thumbup:
It might just be me, but you might have a bit too many different synths and melodies introduced too fast. I think you could do a lot with less and instead of introducing new sounds you could play around with filtering and modulating earlier synths to make the track move forward.

But you have a clean-sounding mix and every sound has its place from what I can hear. Nice work!

And yea, it might end a bit suddenly, but a 4-minute track is not short in my opinion, seems tracks just gets shorter and shorter nowadays. I remember when I played out in the clubs and you needed a couple of "mix minutes" on every track to even get played :-)
Thanks for listening and the feedback, most appreciated.
I think you have a valid point about the speed of sounds being introduced and think stripping back elements with longer transitions could help. 👍

PhillipOrdonez

18 Feb 2022

integerpoet wrote:
14 Feb 2022
Billy+ wrote:
14 Feb 2022
Oh goodness, that sounds terrifying 😱

PhillipOrdonez

18 Feb 2022

Less is more, Popey, listen to the guy who said something along the lines above on this thread.

The mix sounds good on the phone headphones. Good job.

You probably want to work on the arrangement at some point and sparse out the ideas you have and maybe let go of some of the synth sounds (one sound particularly) which don't totally work with the style.

Keep it up.

PhillipOrdonez

18 Feb 2022

Regarding what you said about not being at the stage to develop full length tracks... That's bullshit Popey. It isn't more difficult to make a track that long. If anything, I think it should be easier than making them shorter.

Popey
Competition Winner

18 Feb 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
18 Feb 2022
Regarding what you said about not being at the stage to develop full length tracks... That's bullshit Popey. It isn't more difficult to make a track that long. If anything, I think it should be easier than making them shorter.
Nah man i struggle with longer tracks as it is harder to keep things interesting and avoid repetition. Its something I have to work on and will only get better if i actually write longer tracks. Maybe the reason i chuck so much stuff in :?:

PhillipOrdonez

18 Feb 2022

Popey wrote:
18 Feb 2022
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
18 Feb 2022
Nah man i struggle with longer tracks as it is harder to keep things interesting and avoid repetition. Its something I have to work on and will only get better if i actually write longer tracks. Maybe the reason i chuck so much stuff in :?:
Repetition is your friend.

Auryn

18 Feb 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
18 Feb 2022
QFT, repetition is the basis of house/techno music

I enjoyed the track, gives off a Kompakt vibe to me. Seeing the German name makes me think you were aiming for something similar.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Popey
Competition Winner

19 Feb 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
18 Feb 2022
Popey wrote:
18 Feb 2022

Will take this on board.

Been thinking about this yesterday and listening to tunes, repetition is there in what I have listened to but noticed lots of very small changes to things.
Lot more subtle than whole new sounds or melodies just little modulations to what is already there.

Thanks Phillip

Popey
Competition Winner

19 Feb 2022

Auryn wrote:
18 Feb 2022
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
18 Feb 2022
QFT, repetition is the basis of house/techno music

I enjoyed the track, gives off a Kompakt vibe to me. Seeing the German name makes me think you were aiming for something similar.
Thanks for listening and I get you and Phillips point about repetition.

The name is actually just a made up word that comes from being silly with my youngest child when he quizzes me on my knowledge of countries(he knows them all). I used it as it sounded slightly German and the obvious link to Berlin techno etc.

Had not heard of Kompakt before but listened to few tracks from that label and liking what I have heard so far.

Uman's

19 Feb 2022

I find the mastering rather not bad, the instruments well located in space even if I find the break at 1"25 too strong.
Overall, I find that the too high level of all tracks in the mixer plays tricks in the overall compression.

The purely melodic side is missing, it remains the atmosphere. It lacks history and it seems so empty. We hear an instrument that could be the main one but it remains too discreet. Probably a lack of melodic knowledge to actually build a melody that stands.

Nevertheless, I think there is an idea. With such a good notion of mastering, the hardest part is done.
- Former member of the disappeared forum "Reason France" -

integerpoet

19 Feb 2022

Popey wrote:
19 Feb 2022
Been thinking about this yesterday and listening to tunes, repetition is there in what I have listened to but noticed lots of very small changes to things. Lot more subtle than whole new sounds or melodies just little modulations to what is already there.
I struggle with this. I stall on many tracks because I assume repetition will bore my (very hypothetical) audience. Perhaps I should see it more as an opportunity for evolving sound design, but so far I just don't think that way very much.

PhillipOrdonez

20 Feb 2022

If you want a masterclass in the art of repetition/subtle variation, listen to the music of a minimalist genius like Robert Hood.

• Information