(Classical/Baroque) Bach 'Little' Fugue in G Minor

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
robthompson

28 Dec 2021

Soundcloud tells me it's two months since my last upload, which is a long time for a 'little' piece of electronica. Bach probably dashed it off in a day. It's a really amiable piece, written for the organ early in the 18th Century, when Bach was in Arnstadt, Germany.

I had started started work on something more ambitious, but had to shelve it when certain synth presets resisted my tweaking efforts. I know, I should really design my own sounds.

So, this has only 5 presets, slightly tweaked, from u-he's Diva, Dune, Omnisphere, Zenology and Synthmaster 2. I wanted a more relaxed, introspective outcome than in my previous upload, and I hope I achieved that here.

As before, comments are welcome, but not compulsory!

Make Music!

Benedict
Competition Winner

28 Dec 2021

The Big B and synths have always proven a nice fit. He composed on Harpsichords and Organs (probably Clavichords at night so as not to interfere with his neighbor's potentially violent Scarlatti & Palestrina parties) so the transition to synths is a natural one.

Nicely done. I would say it is great making the sounds from scratch in Thor etc as that lets you really tailor to what the composition is saying - and B was pretty clear & bold in that so you can get creative. At least that is how I felt when I did it.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

robthompson

29 Dec 2021

Hi Benedict, thanks for your comments.

I'm especially grateful for your suggestion about designing in Thor. When I first started out, the synths were all hardware and very expensive, but I found it easier to explore them and to create sounds than I do in the software equivalents. I'll certainly take a look at Thor.

I was classically trained and, although that's by no means necessary for this type of work, it helps me a great deal. It's a labour of love!

Thanks also for the links in your signature; I've bookmarked/saved them for later.

Benedict
Competition Winner

29 Dec 2021

Thor is a lot like a "real" synth in many ways that modern synths do not manage. Europa can do more in some ways (sonically etc) but Thor is an amazing analog-style approach (System 100 etc).

What was your instrument - specialty?

My Father was Guild Hall London, Cathedral Organ + ChoirMaster, with Harpsichord as his second. He built a pipe organ before I existed and several harpsichords and clavichords when I was a teen. I was not trained except by hearing him playing all that Baroque (whilst trying hard to listen to Duran Duran and ELP).

Great to meet you (if we haven't before) and never be afraid to sing out if you need a hand as I like working with interesting things.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information