(Goth) Disappointment

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Benedict
Competition Winner

03 Dec 2021

Hi All

Showing what I am doing for my next album working-titled "Beauty in the Dark".

This is Goth in the feel of mid-'80s acts like The Cure, Xymox, etc. - before it all became EDM. The mood is deliberately somber, full, restful, and of course gloomy. Yet beautiful. Perfect for falling asleep after a day on the boards - or mixing other people's Pop music ;-)

All done in R12. This has some of the lovely kHs devices and Sonic Cat (Luxonic) Purity NFRs I got after doing the HigherHz reviews. Several of my Combi 2s incl the one given away in my "Eternal Battle ReFill" thread. Combi 2 is a real bonus as it lets one put together unique devices that compete with any of the fancily priced VST out there.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

strangers
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2021

You nailed gloomy for sure. I like how the drums drag and set the course of the song. I really don't have any criticism for this one. Really nice work!

Benedict
Competition Winner

13 Dec 2021

Thanks
Benedict Roff-Marsh

integerpoet

13 Dec 2021

If my not-so-great at-work headphones can be trusted, the sound design and engineering here are pretty yum.

Given that you were aiming for "perfect for falling asleep" , you win. (I'm praising the ambience, not complaining of boredom.)

EnochLight

13 Dec 2021

As both The Cure and Xymox** (both early Clan of Xymox and everything up to Phoenix) is my wheelhouse, I had to chime in. Nice work!

** Xymox's "Twist of Shadows" album was literally playing back on repeat for most of my late teens.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Benedict
Competition Winner

13 Dec 2021

Thanks fellas

Xymox "Twist" is one of my poster-children for Goth (and lovely music in general).

Good to hear that my aim is being achieved.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

integerpoet

13 Dec 2021

When I was in school, I was the only one I knew who "got" Clan of Xymox, which now seems funny because they had such an outsized influence. At the time, I thought they were my own personal thing, and it definitely was not the case that I was simply oh-so-terribly-more deeply goth than everyone else.

Benedict
Competition Winner

13 Dec 2021

Aah the nature of being a teenager; I am the only one having a feeling.
Except for Peter Murphy, Morrisey, Jimbo Morrison, Jackson Browne...(probably now Ed Sheepman and Billie Eyelash - unnnghhh)

No sense that others around us in our families, school, bus, train, etc might just be living with feelings too. Got forbid their feelings are a wee bit more important in the larger scheme of things than: Does Idiot Influencer #34 approve of me - therefore giving me a right to exist.

We have that with ours. They spend so much of their lives not doing things they could do well, waiting to be approved of for being great at that thing they won't start until approved of. Even if approval does arrive, it is dismissed as not being what was needed.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

challism

13 Dec 2021

That was a beautiful piece, Benedict; anything but disappointment.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Benedict
Competition Winner

13 Dec 2021

Thanks
Benedict Roff-Marsh

Popey
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2021

This is not really my style of music (or so I thought) however the sound design and emotions in this track are enchanting and really brilliant. Fantastic song benedict.

integerpoet

14 Dec 2021

Benedict wrote:
13 Dec 2021
Aah the nature of being a teenager; I am the only one having a feeling.
It might be worse than that. I might not even have been a teen at the time. What year was the first record? Don't answer that.

I did have a sense that someone in Yurp might "get" the band, but are those even people? Aren't they actually fae?

Right now, all we can be truly certain exists is the backup studio at this college radio station at the edge of the Pacific in the middle of the night.

Benedict
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2021

Thanks Popey

I must say (esp seeing this sat silent for a week) that I am surprised at the enthusiasm for this. I am happy to see it. The album itself is mostly in-the-can but on-hold for a month or three as someone is doing a remix of one of the tracks and I would rather hold for them to time-align (if not let their version take the lead so to speak).

I don't recall Xymox t-shirts. I was in the country in '86 and just starting to see Sisters and Shriekback videos at the end of music shows, next year The Mission. Some years later in the mid-smoke of Brisbane there were Smith, Pogues, Morrisey, Bauhaus, Alien Sex Fiend, Sisters, Nefilim t-shirts but I don't recall Xymox. I honestly don't recall what had me get Twist, but it just felt like I should and it was one of the best decisions ever as it is a lovely record by any take on what makes beautiful music.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

integerpoet

15 Dec 2021

Benedict wrote:
14 Dec 2021
I honestly don't recall what had me get Twist, but it just felt like I should and it was one of the best decisions ever…
My most treasured purchase ever was from the cut-out bin. There were a few dozen copies (probably sold by some industry scumbag who was supposed to have cajoled/bribed DJs into playing them). The cover and the names were weird. My gut called the shot.

Benedict
Competition Winner

15 Dec 2021

I am all for following what the inner brain knows but the outer brain cannot immediately explain.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

• Information