[Indie Folk] Autum

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
nebraskafire
Posts: 35
Joined: 10 Mar 2021

Post 26 Oct 2021


User avatar
Noise
Posts: 387
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Lisbon

Post 26 Oct 2021

It was a indeed a happy listening! Very nice. I just want to own a fireplace and open a wine, dunno why.
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 9570
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 26 Oct 2021

Lovely little tune - only odd thing is the brush samples sounding like they are too short for the part played (when the vocal first comes in). Kinda looses the vibe at that point slightly for me - same for the middle break down where you play the REX slices individually - just seems like a nice groovy song except for at those points. I would say it's because of the smooth and natural feeling groove established at the front that it feels slightly jarring when the drums change from that to a more electronic/processed sample set of drum sounds. BUT - that's just me (could be that was your intention?), otherwise I love everything else about it!
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
Ottostrom
Posts: 701
Joined: 13 May 2016

Post 26 Oct 2021

Very nice tune :)
The whole vibe is very fitting for the fall season

nebraskafire
Posts: 35
Joined: 10 Mar 2021

Post 26 Oct 2021

selig wrote: ↑
26 Oct 2021
Lovely little tune - only odd thing is the brush samples sounding like they are too short for the part played (when the vocal first comes in). Kinda looses the vibe at that point slightly for me - same for the middle break down where you play the REX slices individually - just seems like a nice groovy song except for at those points. I would say it's because of the smooth and natural feeling groove established at the front that it feels slightly jarring when the drums change from that to a more electronic/processed sample set of drum sounds. BUT - that's just me (could be that was your intention?), otherwise I love everything else about it!
Yes you re right. It is actually a rex file I loaded up into Dr. Octo Rex. Maybe I should work on it a little bit more. Thanks for the feedback Selig. I used your deesser on the vocals. ;)

nebraskafire
Posts: 35
Joined: 10 Mar 2021

Post 26 Oct 2021

Noise wrote: ↑
26 Oct 2021
It was a indeed a happy listening! Very nice. I just want to own a fireplace and open a wine, dunno why.
Thanks πŸ‘

nebraskafire
Posts: 35
Joined: 10 Mar 2021

Post 26 Oct 2021

Ottostrom wrote: ↑
26 Oct 2021
Very nice tune :)
The whole vibe is very fitting for the fall season
Thank you :D

User avatar
mcatalao
Posts: 1565
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 01 Nov 2021

Very nice song.

Pretty much as Selig stated, the drums are a bit distracting and the cut off of the rex files are too much noticeable. If you want to go with this kind of drums, there's refill from Nucleus Soundlab that has brushes all over it! It's really great. Check BFD Jazz And funk, it's one of the most natural drums of this kind, and it would make the drums sit really nice, allowing you to create any rhythm.

I also feel something odd when the choir enters the finish lines? Some distortion or something?

Anyway, great musicality, simplicity and a beautiful arrangement.

Congratulations.

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 9570
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 01 Nov 2021

nebraskafire wrote: ↑
26 Oct 2021
selig wrote: ↑
26 Oct 2021
Lovely little tune - only odd thing is the brush samples sounding like they are too short for the part played (when the vocal first comes in). Kinda looses the vibe at that point slightly for me - same for the middle break down where you play the REX slices individually - just seems like a nice groovy song except for at those points. I would say it's because of the smooth and natural feeling groove established at the front that it feels slightly jarring when the drums change from that to a more electronic/processed sample set of drum sounds. BUT - that's just me (could be that was your intention?), otherwise I love everything else about it!
Yes you re right. It is actually a rex file I loaded up into Dr. Octo Rex. Maybe I should work on it a little bit more. Thanks for the feedback Selig. I used your deesser on the vocals. ;)
Thanks for supporting Selig Audio!
I listened again and have one more little comment about the drums - the kick pattern seems more syncopated (one note particularly) than the other instruments. Not sure if this is the exact patter you wanted, or the closest you would find with brushes (a common problem for me). What are your influences for the arrangement/drums? Would be fun to add live drums to this one!
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
Benedict
Posts: 2616
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Post 01 Nov 2021

Hi

I am always happy to hear musical music. I like the overall song and where you are going.

Like Selig, I am not sure that you got there yet. Maybe your rhythms are not matching - and if so that is a mix killer - but what I feel lets this down as a total experience is that it seems not to have come together "as one" which means it rather feels broken instead which is very much a shame.

I feel like I am hearing parts like piano, drums, vocals, etc but not one song. I get the feeling that once it came to mixing, you stopped thinking of the Song and made it all about each of these things individually. Like, if each part sounded "right" on its own, the Mix would be good overall. I think there is a much nicer mix to be made with a holistic approach.

If you like, and are open to how it works, I would be happy to take this and make a Mix Walkthrough to show a new way. Have a look at a few of the episodes like Angel 7 & Bloma (both RT people): A-B to show the comparison then how and why I did what I did: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... mXIauoJraq

:-)

This video talk about timing & details and how it can wreck your overall result if you want to look at that more:

nebraskafire
Posts: 35
Joined: 10 Mar 2021

Post 03 Nov 2021

selig wrote: ↑
01 Nov 2021
nebraskafire wrote: ↑
26 Oct 2021


Yes you re right. It is actually a rex file I loaded up into Dr. Octo Rex. Maybe I should work on it a little bit more. Thanks for the feedback Selig. I used your deesser on the vocals. ;)
Thanks for supporting Selig Audio!
I listened again and have one more little comment about the drums - the kick pattern seems more syncopated (one note particularly) than the other instruments. Not sure if this is the exact patter you wanted, or the closest you would find with brushes (a common problem for me). What are your influences for the arrangement/drums? Would be fun to add live drums to this one!
I just used the sample like it is and played the rest on top of it. I don't consider myself as a great musican but I love to do it. Drums are actually my weakes part. I can make a good 4 on the floor beat but that's it. That way use loops most of the time. Maybe someone reading would love to play drums to it. :)

nebraskafire
Posts: 35
Joined: 10 Mar 2021

Post 03 Nov 2021

Benedict wrote: ↑
01 Nov 2021
Hi

I am always happy to hear musical music. I like the overall song and where you are going.

Like Selig, I am not sure that you got there yet. Maybe your rhythms are not matching - and if so that is a mix killer - but what I feel lets this down as a total experience is that it seems not to have come together "as one" which means it rather feels broken instead which is very much a shame.

I feel like I am hearing parts like piano, drums, vocals, etc but not one song. I get the feeling that once it came to mixing, you stopped thinking of the Song and made it all about each of these things individually. Like, if each part sounded "right" on its own, the Mix would be good overall. I think there is a much nicer mix to be made with a holistic approach.

If you like, and are open to how it works, I would be happy to take this and make a Mix Walkthrough to show a new way. Have a look at a few of the episodes like Angel 7 & Bloma (both RT people): A-B to show the comparison then how and why I did what I did: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... mXIauoJraq

:-)

This video talk about timing & details and how it can wreck your overall result if you want to look at that more:
Yes you re right. I'm not a very experienced mixer and lose patience very fast when I m mixing. I know most my mixes could be better but my time is limited so I rather focus on songwring and production instead of mixing. I mainly make music for myself so I guess it's okay to don't have a killer mix. :)

I m very happy if you would do a mix walkthrough. It would teach me a ot
I write you a private message.

User avatar
Benedict
Posts: 2616
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Post 03 Nov 2021

I see your PM and have raised you a reply

:-)

User avatar
man made material
Posts: 51
Joined: 13 May 2021

Post 05 Nov 2021

lovely warm melancholic song... those ooohs are perfectly judged and a great melody!

User avatar
Benedict
Posts: 2616
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Post 18 Nov 2021

This is the new mix I made, complete with a full explanation (if you are patient):


:-)

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest