(Dark Electronic Pop) Feel Like I've Had Enough

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
stillifegaijin

11 Sep 2021

I don't know what genre we are anymore. We started out as shoegaze but not anymore. Post-Punk calls it R&B - https://post-punk.com/portland-dark-ele ... ad-enough/

Curious to know what y'all think. It's all done in Reason though. 100%.

djadalaide

11 Sep 2021

Interesting, immersive. Top notch, i really like the vocals but here is some ideas:

I would have started the track with the guitar hook at 2:16, it seems to jump right into the vocals - some space is always a good thing. Like David Guetta titanium.

It also feels like there is too much going on at the same time, for my taste, its like of like a hook on top of a vocal, though this gives a kind of dreamy atmosphere to the track.

My philosophy now is to stick to some rules, like strong beats and bass, and i feel the low end of the beats could be pushed up a bit, and its really hard to hear the bass when it comes in, and i feel like a strong bass note through the whole track could help give it a bigger sound.

stillifegaijin

13 Sep 2021

djadalaide wrote:
11 Sep 2021
Interesting, immersive. Top notch, i really like the vocals but here is some ideas:

I would have started the track with the guitar hook at 2:16, it seems to jump right into the vocals - some space is always a good thing. Like David Guetta titanium.

It also feels like there is too much going on at the same time, for my taste, its like of like a hook on top of a vocal, though this gives a kind of dreamy atmosphere to the track.

My philosophy now is to stick to some rules, like strong beats and bass, and i feel the low end of the beats could be pushed up a bit, and its really hard to hear the bass when it comes in, and i feel like a strong bass note through the whole track could help give it a bigger sound.
Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment.

The lack a dominant bass was a very purposeful choice. If you listen to most of our other music we generally use a lot of very solid, strong, dominant sub bass and we wanted to try something different. I did second guess it at one point while mixing and changed the bass to be heavier, more low end, and it weighed the song down quite a bit. We didn't like it. But, I fully understand your instinct on that. The next single is sub heavy!

Also, if you listen to this other version of the song -
- It's the "b-side" to the single, kind of an alternate mix. It has a totally different, longer intro with that guitar in the beginning. This longer version was originally meant to be the "single" and the shorter version was a "radio edit" sorta thing. After mastering we decided we liked the shorter one better for the single. We feel like there is a real immediacy to launching right into the vocal that works with the emotion and lyrical content. It's admittedly another odd choice for us...I don't think we've ever started a song without some sort of intro before the vocal before.

Anyway, thanks again for give thoughtful feedback! I appreciate it.

• Information