(large album : challenging mixture of styles) moment

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
bitley

26 Jun 2021

Youtube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=O ... vu_7DAkZbI

Spotify:

Hi friends!

I have now released a giant 28-track electronica compilation album (all streaming platforms) called Moment. It contains all tracks I did together with Jens "Kallback" Källbäck and Marcus Fjellström.

(Does anyone know how many vinyl records it'd take to cover it? I don't know the max length on vinyl)

The album is released digitally under my artist name Bitley.

Jens and Marcus are not with us anymore so the record has been a huge thing for me to collect; both mentally and musically. My hope is that Jens and Marcus will continue to move people thanks to all the music they did. Forever I hope.

Marcus' other releases were distributed by Lampse / Kafkagarden but Jens' stuff mainly circulated among us friends. He made great techno; was also a acid (techno) performer knowing the TB-303 outside inside out.

Jens and I came up with the band project EH! so all those tracks are on the record. Marcus and I made a suite of tracks where we shared all samples from one track to the next so elements from our first track Narcissius moves on to the next etc. This was inspired by a CD released in the early 2000s called Endlessness.

I hope you can dig it. The first track Artyrua was made by multitracking the Arturia Mini Brute, trying to make it sound as warm and fat as possible.

Rest in peace my brothers - please let me know if you also knew / about them. Jens has been partying with Richard D James / Aphex Twin, who also was his main musical mentor. Marcus also loved this music (introduced me to it in fact) as well as Kraftwerk etc but was also a trained professional orchestral arranger set to be producing music for a BBC criminal series but I am not aware if anything was finished before his passing.

Sorry if my english is weak and Glad Midsommar (happy midsummer) from your old Reason refill making friend in Sweden.

Love!

Reason specific info Reason was used heavily on about 70% to 80% of the album, please ask how individual tracks were made if you are curious!

Recordings on the album stretch back as far as 2001 when my collaboration with Marcus started. The long track "He Removed The Dots" was a track I made a couple of years after Jens' passing - to musically tell the story about this one of a kind friend, creator and individual.

Marcus Fjellström is (was) a quite famous composer orchestrating with real partitures (right word?) / musical notes. He found me on the internet in 1996 when I had posted one of the world's first synthesizer sites on the www, called Synthesite. Marcus was only 17 back then but had lots of skills and was super interested in synthesizers.

Rip

Jens "Kallback" Källbäck 1975 - 2017
Marcus Fjellström 1979 - 2017

platzangst

26 Jun 2021

bitley wrote:
26 Jun 2021
(Does anyone know how many vinyl records it'd take to cover it? I don't know the max length on vinyl)
Depending on the manufacturer, the recommended maximum playing time for one side of a vinyl LP is in the 15 to 20 minute range, though sometimes you can find places that will squeeze an extra couple of minutes per side.

(This is by today's standards. Back in the heyday of vinyl in the 70s and 80s, it was possible to put a lot more time onto an album side - Queensryche notably put out a vinyl record of over an hour on one disc - but the problem is that the more time you fit on a side, the lower the average sound level has to be. So today's manufacturers don't like to go over the lower limits as an issue of sound quality. There are also some specific sound engineering issues with vinyl, so if you're seriously thinking along those lines, you might have to consult a mastering engineer with appropriate experience.)

I don't have Spotify and the YouTube playlist didn't have a total running time that I saw, so I can't estimate with certainty for this album, but in a general sense, 30-40 minutes can fit on a single LP, and then up to 80 minutes for a double LP, and so on.

bitley

26 Jun 2021

Thank you platzangst; that's awesome info. If this goes anywhere postitive it's possible a real vinyl release could be compiled. Many things can be shorter of course so perhaps 25 minutes per side could be an ok compromise. Or it could be a double, if anybody makes them these days. If it could reach a couple of thousand playbacks it might be an interesting thing looking into.

platzangst

27 Jun 2021

Double LPs are not uncommon, particularly when they reissue albums that came out when CDs and their 74-minute capacity were dominant. Electronic and dance music, with longer track times than the average pop tune, are generally well-represented in the multiple LP format. Autechre, for example, released a pair of albums within months of each other that were both double LPs (Plus and Sign). Before that, they released their NTS Sessions, which was either 4 separate 3-LP albums, or a boxed set of all 12 LPs. But then, Autechre is a well-known band with a lot of devoted fans willing to buy whatever they put out.

bitley

28 Jun 2021

Yes.

So now I need a few fans ;-)

• Information