[D&B] I'M JUST PANIC

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
danc

24 Jun 2021

After reading your positive thoughts on my first D&B track for ages "BLUUDY NORA"... I thought I'd make another one.

This one started off with a half hour talking BBC Radio 4 documentary... all about anxiety, panic, depression etc. I cut up some bits to be talkie... and some to be on a tight loop to give it a groove.

KICK: 2 kicks used here... layered... Steinberg BackBone for the kick TOP and Kick 2 for the BOTTOM.
UVI Meteor: created some original drones and impact risers using this.
PAD: Spent an age making the pad evolve and become many things - starting with old skool vibes to much more current D&B beds.

Been really playing with my reverb buses... 1 is a room and the other is ambient. I automate the amount I send all the various tracks to each reverb... this really keeps the thing travelling along, interesting and vibrant. It's great for gluing the track together.
Check my Soundcloud:

Billy+

24 Jun 2021

Cool track, only thing I would say is lay off the I'm just loop a bit and maybe allow the other person maybe to say something else if available.

But all in all cool track keep them coming

Billy+

24 Jun 2021

How did you get the radio chat to sample?

I grabbed radio from PiB but haven't installed it yet

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 3941-Radio

danc

24 Jun 2021

Billy+ wrote:
24 Jun 2021
How did you get the radio chat to sample?

I grabbed radio from PiB but haven't installed it yet

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 3941-Radio
I will explore using other samples and bring some new ones in. Plus will look at putting in a break section where the loop doesn't play.

On the BBC website you can download their radio shows. You have to create a BBC account I think to do it - but i'ts all FREE. Plenty to choose from.
Check my Soundcloud:

Billy+

24 Jun 2021

danc wrote:
24 Jun 2021
On the BBC website you can download their radio shows. You have to create a BBC account I think to do it - but i'ts all FREE. Plenty to choose from.
That's handy to know.

danc

24 Jun 2021

Billy+ wrote:
24 Jun 2021
Cool track, only thing I would say is lay off the I'm just loop a bit and maybe allow the other person maybe to say something else if available.

But all in all cool track keep them coming
So Billy - here you go... I've found more speech from the same lady and inserted it right bang in the middle, removing her chat that was there - it breaks up the repeated quotes. She actually explains her problems, which I think works well.

PLUS - I've added places where the vox loop fades and disappears - which I agree was needed.
Check my Soundcloud:

client6

24 Jun 2021

It sounds really good. I'm not familiar with this type of music but I enjoyed listening to it and agree the changes were major improvements and gave it more of a finished product feel.

Billy+

24 Jun 2021

danc wrote:
24 Jun 2021
So Billy - here you go... I've found more speech from the same lady and inserted it right bang in the middle, removing her chat that was there - it breaks up the repeated quotes. She actually explains her problems, which I think works well.

PLUS - I've added places where the vox loop fades and disappears - which I agree was needed.
Definitely more interesting to the ear, now I'm only listening on an iPad not decent headphones or speakers however it's what people do so with that said I would bring the glitches down a few db they kinda pop right out.
I still think you could use the I just loop less but I guess it's a personal choice ;)

But again excellent effort keep them coming :clap:

danc

24 Jun 2021

Billy+ wrote:
24 Jun 2021
danc wrote:
24 Jun 2021

Definitely more interesting to the ear, now I'm only listening on an iPad not decent headphones or speakers however it's what people do so with that said I would bring the glitches down a few db they kinda pop right out.
I still think you could use the I just loop less but I guess it's a personal choice ;)

But again excellent effort keep them coming :clap:
Will play on a range of speakers and get the balance right. Thanks for the support and re-listen.
Check my Soundcloud:

Billy+

24 Jun 2021

No worries.....

Popey
Competition Winner

24 Jun 2021

Really cool track and really interesting use of vocals. I love the part around 2:16 when it almost feel like the sub bass is being sucked in and out with the track, love to know how you achieved that.

Billy+

24 Jun 2021

Had another listen with headphones and the glitches aren't as prominent - So I would guess it's just an iPad thing. :thumbs_up:

PhillipOrdonez

24 Jun 2021

Nice work.

During the breakdown, try low pass filtering the percussion glitches a bit down so they aren't as prominent, at least during the first bars of the breakdown.

Is there a new dnb revival going on again? Lots of this stuff here lately 🤷‍♂️

danc

25 Jun 2021

Popey wrote:
24 Jun 2021
Really cool track and really interesting use of vocals. I love the part around 2:16 when it almost feel like the sub bass is being sucked in and out with the track, love to know how you achieved that.
If you listen carefully... there is a sub-bass and a hoover like pad playing at the same time. I have a slightly different groove going on with both of them... they are either both playing at once... or only 1 is playing. So - if you get the timing right then you can get a push/pull groove going. Nothing more complex than that really. With the sub itself... there is a slight filter/pitch envelope and very tight VCA release.
Check my Soundcloud:

Popey
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2021

danc wrote:
25 Jun 2021
Popey wrote:
24 Jun 2021
If you listen carefully... there is a sub-bass and a hoover like pad playing at the same time. I have a slightly different groove going on with both of them... they are either both playing at once... or only 1 is playing. So - if you get the timing right then you can get a push/pull groove going. Nothing more complex than that really. With the sub itself... there is a slight filter/pitch envelope and very tight VCA release.
Thanks Dan will listen through it a few more times tonight and see if I can break it down and understand it. I originally wondered if it was achieved through a reverse reverb effect of some kind so thanks for explaining.

Skimrok

25 Jun 2021

danc wrote:
24 Jun 2021

After reading your positive thoughts on my first D&B track for ages "BLUUDY NORA"... I thought I'd make another one.

This one started off with a half hour talking BBC Radio 4 documentary... all about anxiety, panic, depression etc. I cut up some bits to be talkie... and some to be on a tight loop to give it a groove.

KICK: 2 kicks used here... layered... Steinberg BackBone for the kick TOP and Kick 2 for the BOTTOM.
UVI Meteor: created some original drones and impact risers using this.
PAD: Spent an age making the pad evolve and become many things - starting with old skool vibes to much more current D&B beds.

Been really playing with my reverb buses... 1 is a room and the other is ambient. I automate the amount I send all the various tracks to each reverb... this really keeps the thing travelling along, interesting and vibrant. It's great for gluing the track together.
I don't believe it I've only gone and nearly finished e a tune with a smiliar snare this week on my 2nd drop :lol: right next post i listen to it all , i had to say it because i just started laughing :lol: :cool: :lol:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

Skimrok

25 Jun 2021

drums and the bass is scorchio :puf_wink: :puf_wink: :puf_wink: Dan you really are getting this cracked on this tune it sounds full , that's something I'm trying to understand moving forward with my production, :thumbup: :thumbup:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

danc

25 Jun 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 Jun 2021
Nice work.
During the breakdown, try low pass filtering the percussion glitches a bit down so they aren't as prominent, at least during the first bars of the breakdown.
Is there a new dnb revival going on again? Lots of this stuff here lately 🤷‍♂️
As per your request Phillip ... there is a new version of the track just uploaded now (using the same Soundcloud link) ... I've done exactly what you suggested for the mid track breakdown at 2:13. The percussion take time to filter up and not hit straight in - starts around 2:34. I bring the ambient reverb in earlier than bringing the cut off freq up ... as I think it makes it a little more interesting.

Skimrok wrote:
25 Jun 2021
drums and the bass is scorchio :puf_wink: :puf_wink: :puf_wink: Dan you really are getting this cracked on this tune it sounds full , that's something I'm trying to understand moving forward with my production, :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thanks SKIMROK! I think the full sound is a combination of things... first of all... I have been really super choosy with my sounds (the raw ingredients). And the 2 reverb buses I am now putting across most channels really makes the overall sound stage "feel" real. Also - I've been real anal in ensuring my reverb and delay tails don't spill too long - cutting them hard in places - really adds impact to new sections. However.. there are times like at 4:24 where I let them just naturally roll off.

Also - my kick is made up of 2 elements. The under belly and a scratchy real top. As I progress through the 24 bar sections I make the top kick slow down and down... I don't change the pitch.. just slow it down... it really keeps the kick interesting - whilst not doing the usual tricks that I use.

Also - make your own risers and drones. This is the thing that'll make you sound unique.

As for your music... it has come on leaps and bounds since I heard your tracks like a year ago. What I think is great is that you are constantly striving to get better and better - - like you are on a blinkered mission. You make it really clear to everyone that you are on that journey. I really suggest you try out the multiple bus reverbs... seriously it really helps. Maybe you are doing it anyway.

I've uploaded a new version just now... adding a whole new chilled out section from 4:24. I wanted to find a new groove using a close neck strummed electric guitar, dropping it thru an old dub style delay... automating the FX of the delay as time goes on to keep it interesting... getting it to interweave with the drums.
Check my Soundcloud:

PhillipOrdonez

25 Jun 2021

Nice, Danc!

Auryn

25 Jun 2021

I really enjoyed this track. It's a nice change from your usual style, and I don't just mean it's D&B. There's a kind of chill about it that is fresh. Usually your tracks a very focused on the dancefloor and how to maximize response, but here you let the music breathe more and do its own thing. I like the result.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

danc

25 Jun 2021

Auryn wrote:
25 Jun 2021
I really enjoyed this track. It's a nice change from your usual style, and I don't just mean it's D&B. There's a kind of chill about it that is fresh. Usually your tracks a very focused on the dancefloor and how to maximize response, but here you let the music breathe more and do its own thing. I like the result.
Thanks Auryn - I agree with you. I've given this track much more space to breath.

I feel like the last few years of tracks I've done I have been on a journey of pushing the mix hard .. seeing what i can do with the production. Lacking soul. They generally do have groove, but lack a heart possibly.

Maybe I should re-engage with the heart.
Check my Soundcloud:

• Information