(Pop/Rock) Astral Plains - Suburban Dream

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
killhamster

11 Jun 2021

I was recently commissioned to do a mix/master session that's pretty far out of my regular wheelhouse and my client and I were both super pleased with the results. After meandering its way through Distrokid it's finally officially out and I'm itching to show it off everywhere:

Astral Plains - Suburban Dream

He recorded everything himself with Logic and sent me the stems, and I mixed it in Reason. I doubled the guitars on the chorus and ran the unaffected copy through the Softube amp (this might be the first time I found the Softube amps useful, for a more subtle sound instead of heavy distortion), did a lot of doubling on vocals (but not too much other processing, I really like his unaffected singing voice), and a bit of time correction here and there. The most I think I did was beefing up the guitar solos with a little more overdrive, some compression, and a touch of flanging, chorus, and echo (with the stock R11 devices).

The whole thing went through my default mastering chain and was tweaked there to emphasize his voice and guitar, and to roll off the bass just a touch since it's not bass-heavy dance music.

Popey
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2021

I must admit this is not really what I listen to but it was nice to listen something out of my day to day norm. As for your mix and master it sounded great to me.

Billy+

12 Jun 2021

Nice mastering chain
IMG_2724.JPG
IMG_2724.JPG (120.55 KiB) Viewed 984 times
I keep forgetting to buy 4dyne, and is that the redrock re at the top ?

I gave up looking at mix and master tools after I got izotope mix and master advanced

killhamster

12 Jun 2021

Popey wrote:
12 Jun 2021
I must admit this is not really what I listen to but it was nice to listen something out of my day to day norm. As for your mix and master it sounded great to me.
Same here. It was kind of refreshing to do something very different :D
Billy+ wrote:
12 Jun 2021
Nice mastering chain

...is that the redrock re at the top ?
Thanks, I've been slowly building and tweaking this for years. The Red Rock RE is this one. It's got lots of handy modules but I mostly stick with the ones I used here and the de-esser.

22ndCenturyStudio

12 Jun 2021

You expect me to register for a Spotify account,just to listen to your song? For f**k's sake,I could not even back out of the website to return here,so I had to close out the browser tab & re-type the URL to get back here.Would uploading to SoundCloud be too much trouble? I suppose though,Spotify probably pays you,with each new person that signs up for a Spotify account. However though....whatever they may be paying you,is probably peanuts,as Spotify is notorious for short-changing their users.Sorry....but I've boycotted Spotify for this reason.

killhamster

12 Jun 2021

ok

integerpoet

12 Jun 2021

22ndCenturyStudio wrote:
12 Jun 2021
You expect me to register for a Spotify account,just to listen to your song? For f**k's sake,I could not even back out of the website to return here,so I had to close out the browser tab & re-type the URL to get back here.Would uploading to SoundCloud be too much trouble? I suppose though,Spotify probably pays you,with each new person that signs up for a Spotify account. However though....whatever they may be paying you,is probably peanuts,as Spotify is notorious for short-changing their users.Sorry....but I've boycotted Spotify for this reason.
Not his call. I think you must have missed the part about it having been a commission.

killhamster

12 Jun 2021

It’s also on Apple Music or Amazon if those are more your style.

retreed
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2021

killhamster wrote:
12 Jun 2021
Thanks, I've been slowly building and tweaking this for years.
When using 4DYN, I would recommend writing down the sample rate somewhere after you did the final version of a project, e.g. in the file name or the "Song Information" to remember what you had set up as the expected result.

In case you need to revisit it again in the future and have to change the sample rate of the host (e.g. because the clients requests it) or changed your working behaviour, the project will sound different. 4DYN has a bug that the cut-offs between the bands move around (not visible, just audible) with different sample rates. Unfortunately, Flower Audio disappeared before fixing this.

man made material

17 Jun 2021

Cool song, I agree with you in that he’s got a really nice voice, it’s also a nice subtle mix, bearing in mind I’m coming into this after just listening to some EDM, I’ll probably have to come in with fresh ears to fully appreciate it😂 nice one! 👍

Quarmat
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2021

Nice song, the mix is good even if it's not aggressive like 99% of themix nowadays.

On a side note... Are all the devices in your master chain REs? Are they stil avilable in the RS shop?

killhamster

18 Jun 2021

Quarmat wrote:
18 Jun 2021
Nice song, the mix is good even if it's not aggressive like 99% of themix nowadays.

On a side note... Are all the devices in your master chain REs? Are they stil avilable in the RS shop?
Yep, everything there is an RE; the only one you can't get anymore is the Ozone maximizer. I bought it way back when REs were introduced and it was recently delisted.

• Information