(Drum & Bass) Nine Inch Nails - Closer (RBM's D&B Violation Mix)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
killhamster

24 May 2021

Yet another for fun remix, this time at the other end of the tempo spectrum. I spent a lot of time tweaking so many little bits and pieces of the drums in this one, to the point at which Reason would lag and stutter despite no other programs being open and the buffer size being maxed out. I'm going to have to save up and get some new hardware soon :puf_unhappy:

challism

24 May 2021

Oh man! I saw the title and got excited to hear this classic. And you did not disappoint. Very nicely done! Love the drums and atmospheric reverb coming off the drums and pads. I'd suggest turning Reznor's vocals up a bit, and adding some EQ to help them cut thru the mix. That's a really cool vocal fx during the "help me" phrases around 4:30. How did you do that?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

killhamster

24 May 2021

challism wrote:
24 May 2021
Oh man! I saw the title and got excited to hear this classic. And you did not disappoint. Very nicely done! Love the drums and atmospheric reverb coming off the drums and pads. I'd suggest turning Reznor's vocals up a bit, and adding some EQ to help them cut thru the mix. That's a really cool vocal fx during the "help me" phrases around 4:30. How did you do that?
Thanks! Glad it was well-received. :D I'd already turned up the vox a little after some rougher mixes, I have a little distortion on them and if I turn them up too much they get too harsh, even with some filtering, EQ, and compression. I can maybe tweak that a hair more though. The effect on the "help me" vocals is just a little chorus and a pulverizer with the LFO on a square wave and set to modulate the volume 100%.

challism

24 May 2021

killhamster wrote:
24 May 2021
challism wrote:
24 May 2021
Thanks! Glad it was well-received. :D I'd already turned up the vox a little after some rougher mixes, I have a little distortion on them and if I turn them up too much they get too harsh, even with some filtering, EQ, and compression. I can maybe tweak that a hair more though. The effect on the "help me" vocals is just a little chorus and a pulverizer with the LFO on a square wave and set to modulate the volume 100%.
Perhaps run a clean parallel channel to double the vocals and turn that channel up? You could even EQ the clean channel to help it punch thru the mix.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Fotu

25 May 2021

Nice job! I found the vocal mix pretty good with headphones. It doesn't need a lot given the cultural strength of the original, giving your remix enough context it need only 'suggest' the original to succeed.

killhamster

26 May 2021

Fotu wrote:
25 May 2021
Nice job! I found the vocal mix pretty good with headphones.
I tweaked the vox and reuploaded it based on feedback.
Fotu wrote:
25 May 2021
It doesn't need a lot given the cultural strength of the original, giving your remix enough context it need only 'suggest' the original to succeed.
Yeah, I generally try to include elements from the originals while completely transforming them in one way or another. The vocals were the hardest part to get just right this time around, since they're a pretty important part of the original.

danc

27 May 2021

Like the progression from calm to NIN heavy. Think that some attention is required with the mix - the highs are a little harsh on the drums. Overall - sort the mix and you have a winner.
Check my Soundcloud:

Skimrok

27 May 2021

I've always loved the amen break madly i dont use it myself, the energy is bang on its a little muddy in places but hay not the end of the world ,
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

man made material

02 Jun 2021

Really nicely done! I’m no drum n bass fan, but this has loads going for it, constantly evolving and the drums pack a big meaty punch👍

• Information