(80s Classic Cover): Bette Davis Eyes

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2021

My ultimate favourite song ever...Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes. Had to do a cover, so here it is. :)

🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Adabler
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2021

Good job! Great song!
:reason: 12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2021

Adabler wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Good job! Great song!
Thanks. :):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

25 Feb 2021

Great song, cover is cool.

I personally would like the vocal with a bit more volume, just needs a bit more for my old ears

Skimrok

25 Feb 2021

Nice I like it :clap: yeah same as billy+ the vocal does loses it volume at places but still enjoyed it , :thumbup:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2021

I think the volume of the vocals thing might be because the Juno is too high. Hmmm.

By the way, I have finished more songs in the last two weeks than I have in the last 5 years hahaha. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

25 Feb 2021

Very nice job on this classic song, MrFigg. I would agree with the above comments about the vocals. You sound great, so let's hear it! Don't be shy. In addition to the volume, perhaps some EQing to help the vocals cut thru the mix.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2021

challism wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Very nice job on this classic song, MrFigg. I would agree with the above comments about the vocals. You sound great, so let's hear it! Don't be shy. In addition to the volume, perhaps some EQing to help the vocals cut thru the mix.
Thanks man. Yeah, I really should try learning how to do that sort of stuff. I agree with all the comments about the vocals being too quiet. I turned down the Juno and they came back. I can’t be bothered with uploading it agin to Soundxloud so I’ll move on to my next opus. Probably something by Leo Sayer :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

eusti

25 Feb 2021

Very cool!!!

D.

pushedbutton

26 Feb 2021

Good Job.
I know from personal experience how difficult it is to mix vocals, especially when they're your own.
The only thing that stood out to me what right at the start and right at the end there was a flutey sounding instrument that I think should been some vocal 'oooh's. That's the sort of thing I'd put through the neptune in harmony mode.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

WOO

26 Feb 2021

:clap: Good job man! Its one of my favorite songs as well. Loved playing it back in the day and it always got the dance floor cooking.

Lost Dog

28 Feb 2021

Loved the original, great cover 👍

tanni

28 Feb 2021

yes, good job and well done. :thumbup: The voice is sometimes, when all other instruments playing, a little bit low in volume. I think its a mixing thing....

moofi

27 Nov 2021

I know this thread is already a little older, just wanted to check out figgy music :-D
I like it :-)

One thing sort of already mentioned potentially helping besides the volume could be adding a little air with an EQ, so it wouldn´t be covered as much as it is by the guitar for example.
The vocals being a little muffled was my inital impression before reading any comments.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Nov 2021

moofi wrote:
27 Nov 2021
I know this thread is already a little older, just wanted to check out figgy music :-D
I like it :-)

One thing sort of already mentioned potentially helping besides the volume could be adding a little air with an EQ, so it wouldn´t be covered as much as it is by the guitar for example.
The vocals being a little muffled was my inital impression before reading any comments.
Thanks :). Yeah. It was a bit of a rough job. Was just glad to actually record some music at the time. I’ll maybe redo the vocals with the new mic :). Thanks for listening :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Trefor

11 Dec 2021

Good job. Nicely done.

Benedict
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2021

Ooh that's a bold choice. Kim is a powerful vocalist. You'll be trying to outdo Laura Branigan next week!!!

As noted your vocal is a bit hidden behind the mix - and I think tuning, which may not be the best solution as it makes you seem to retire from the fray. Your voice isn't the strongest but you seem to really care about the song and that is what matters more than anything. Build from that.

If this is a Reason project and you are open, I will have downtime with Xmas. If you pop it on over I can have a go for you.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2021

Benedict wrote:
12 Dec 2021
Ooh that's a bold choice. Kim is a powerful vocalist. You'll be trying to outdo Laura Branigan next week!!!

As noted your vocal is a bit hidden behind the mix - and I think tuning, which may not be the best solution as it makes you seem to retire from the fray. Your voice isn't the strongest but you seem to really care about the song and that is what matters more than anything. Build from that.

If this is a Reason project and you are open, I will have downtime with Xmas. If you pop it on over I can have a go for you.

:-)
Thanks for the offer Benedict. I’m fine. I did that song more to get it out of my system. In truth I actually am a good singer (Depending on what I’m singing actually). Or so I’ve been getting told by folk since I was young. I just did a totally crap job in that song and I am very aware of it. Don’t really know why but I think I just rushed it in order to get it out. Anyway, thanks again and it’s Cyndi Lauper whose up next :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information