(Work in progress) - Any opinions are welcome

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2021

So I want to try something new for once. I've come quite far with this track. However I don't necessarily see it as finished yet. I'm still open to new ideas. I'm not yet too attached to this particular version to change anything. So I thought I should welcome opinions BEFORE I release any finished version of the song.
Any ideas are welcome. Regarding song writing, mix, arrangement, anything. Does it need more parts? Variations? Does the song lenght work? Feel free to comment on whatever. I'll take some time to ponder all the comments I get before I make any decisions.

Thanks

EDIT: I'll continuously replace the song file with new versions. It will both be for trying out different things from comments, but also things based on my own ideas. I just thought I should be clear about that in case some comments don't make sense after I've changed the song. :D

Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 26 Jan 2021, edited 3 times in total.

Auryn

25 Jan 2021

some IMHO impressions: it's a kind of psytrance/rave crossover? Is it intended as a dance track? Normally speaking a track like this would need to be longer I think to build up to the manic energy level that it gets to, before dropping into the long break. The switches between the different parts are very abrupt which is part of your unique style, but in order for this track to 'flow' in the way a more conventional psytrance/rave type track would, it would maybe need to be spread out more evenly, so to speak. The production is very 'rock' with a lot of midrange and slighly too little in the deep/sub range for my tastes

try introducting a low passed kick (+maybe bass) in the break somewhere. See where that takes you.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2021

Auryn wrote:
25 Jan 2021
some IMHO impressions: it's a kind of psytrance/rave crossover? Is it intended as a dance track? Normally speaking a track like this would need to be longer I think to build up to the manic energy level that it gets to, before dropping into the long break. The switches between the different parts are very abrupt which is part of your unique style, but in order for this track to 'flow' in the way a more conventional psytrance/rave type track would, it would maybe need to be spread out more evenly, so to speak. The production is very 'rock' with a lot of midrange and slighly too little in the deep/sub range for my tastes

try introducting a low passed kick (+maybe bass) in the break somewhere. See where that takes you.
That's interesting feedback. I'll consider it for sure and experiment a bit. Thanks :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Jan 2021
Auryn wrote:
25 Jan 2021

That's interesting feedback. I'll consider it for sure and experiment a bit. Thanks :)
I already tried to change the master to add a little more low end and high end. I've updated the track in this thread.

The rest is the same, so far...

Auryn

26 Jan 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Jan 2021
I already tried to change the master to add a little more low end and high end. I've updated the track in this thread.

the sound has improved IMHO, it's less "boxy" than it was previously

my other comments can best be interpreted as admonitions to make a longer (say 7 minutes) arrangement

but I'll let other people chip in now
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-

gritz

26 Jan 2021

liking the track, interesting mix of techno then a very chilled middle section, it reminds of something which I can't put my finger on... prodigy ish.... but that's no criticism

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2021

Auryn wrote:
26 Jan 2021
TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Jan 2021

the sound has improved IMHO, it's less "boxy" than it was previously

my other comments can best be interpreted as admonitions to make a longer (say 7 minutes) arrangement

but I'll let other people chip in now
Cool. Yes I probably will try to extend the track length. Maybe not to 7 minutes. I don't think I could do that even if I tried. But hopefully it at least a little longer. I think the song would benefit from that. Unfortunately I'm terrible at writing long drawn out songs. I just want to "get to the point" quickly. But I'll experiment with it and see what happens.

Btw I played around with the panning of the hihats. It opened up the mix a bit I think. Not as monoish as before.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2021

gritz wrote:
26 Jan 2021
liking the track, interesting mix of techno then a very chilled middle section, it reminds of something which I can't put my finger on... prodigy ish.... but that's no criticism
I'm not really sursprised to hear you mention Prodigy. I used to listen to them all the time as a teenager. First 3 albums. So I'm pretty sure some of that has rubbed off on my music.

rabidonthetrack

26 Jan 2021

Auryn wrote:
25 Jan 2021
The production is very 'rock' with a lot of midrange
+1

My first critical point is the snare being buried in the mix. I can hear that it's a beautiful snare but I personally feel that it needs to shine through the chaos a little more.

The breakdown is too much of a breakaway and you're losing me. Imagine driving down the street with your adrenaline dropping for almost a minute.

That point makes me wonder if you're open to bringing in found sounds into your production?

Rising Night Wave

26 Jan 2021

bass drum is somehow too flat. make it a bit more bassy. more sine.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

stratatonic

26 Jan 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Jan 2021
So I want to try something new for once. I've come quite far with this track. However I don't necessarily see it as finished yet. I'm still open to new ideas. I'm not yet too attached to this particular version to change anything. So I thought I should welcome opinions BEFORE I release any finished version of the song.
Any ideas are welcome. Regarding song writing, mix, arrangement, anything. Does it need more parts? Variations? Does the song lenght work? Feel free to comment on whatever. I'll take some time to ponder all the comments I get before I make any decisions.

Thanks

EDIT: I'll continuously replace the song file with new versions. It will both be for trying out different things from comments, but also things based on my own ideas. I just thought I should be clear about that in case some comments don't make sense after I've changed the song. :D

Music wise, I really like that middle section a lot, even though the focus of music(I think) is on the fast "stuff", although I feel that you start opening up the filter a bit too fast at the 1:57 mark. I thought that the first time, then I didin't notice the second time, and then when I heard it the next day, that same moment just jarred me again. (maybe that's what you want, though). The rest is pretty manic and the ending could just crash end with a big reverb tail, but that's just me.

Mix-wise, I find it a touch mid-rangy and not enough lo end oomph, but it still works.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2021

rabidonthetrack wrote:
26 Jan 2021
My first critical point is the snare being buried in the mix. I can hear that it's a beautiful snare but I personally feel that it needs to shine through the chaos a little more.

The breakdown is too much of a breakaway and you're losing me. Imagine driving down the street with your adrenaline dropping for almost a minute.

That point makes me wonder if you're open to bringing in found sounds into your production?
Haven't thought about the snare being low in the mix, but maybe I'll play around with the volume a bit and see what I think.

Personally I don't mind the break being this long, IF the uptempo bits become longer. I think it would feel more proportionate then. I might also experiment with adding some sort of pulse in the background so that the uptempo feel doesn't disappear completely, or add the hihats earlier during that part. We'll see.

Had to look up what "found sounds" meant. Never heard of that term before. Seems to be "non instrument" sounds. Am I understanding this correctly? If so I do have some background explosions run through Echobode buried in the mix. You can hear it at 0:11 and 0:17 for example. It's not a sound the listener will notice much, but it makes a big difference for the feel either way. It's placed all over the track to make the first hit of the beat hit harder.

Troublemecca

26 Jan 2021

Auryn wrote:
25 Jan 2021
Normally speaking a track like this would need to be longer I think to build up to the manic energy level that it gets to, before dropping into the long break. The switches between the different parts are very abrupt which is part of your unique style, but in order for this track to 'flow' in the way a more conventional psytrance/rave type track would, it would maybe need to be spread out more evenly, so to speak.
I disagree that the track should be longer... but do agree that the arrangement is jarring... as someone who doesn't listen to rave or 'psytrance', the 'instant on' of the maniacal parts would require a mirror and a dollar bill to engage with, lol. I can def picture it used in, say, a fast paced scene in an action movie, where other artistic elements can put the music in context, but for casual listening I would want the break (which is beautiful) at the beginning.

Auryn

27 Jan 2021

Troublemecca wrote:
26 Jan 2021
I disagree that the track should be longer... but do agree that the arrangement is jarring... as someone who doesn't listen to rave or 'psytrance', the 'instant on' of the maniacal parts would require a mirror and a dollar bill to engage with, lol. I can def picture it used in, say, a fast paced scene in an action movie, where other artistic elements can put the music in context, but for casual listening I would want the break (which is beautiful) at the beginning.
LOL when I was younger and still went to psytrance parties, it was seriously faux pas to do coke there. Leave your ego at the door.

Other than that, if it's supposed to be a dancefloor track, it needs an intro that can be mixed by a dj. The Prodigy's music is kind of in a weird limbo where that is concerned, when I was still dj'ing I found it difficult to mix it with music of a similar speed, there's just so much going on all the time. There's almost never a part where the groove just plays.

• Information