(Electronic Lullaby) - Lullaby

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2021

My first song of 2021. And probably my shortest song ever, if you can even call it a song. A short melody is probably a better description.
Used Red70 for the melody and Ivoks for the bass.

I really went for "warmth" here. At least this is my musical interpretation of that word. Zero harshness, no high end. Just bass and midrange. Sprinkled with some vinyl crackling.

plesio

07 Jan 2021

Nice atmo in here. Good work. :) :thumbs_up:
:reason: R11 Suite & R+, what else. I just love it. https://soundcloud.com/user-543016572
Ultimate mixing noob with medical certified lowpass at 9,6 kHz :(
Music is that certain noise you can remember three minutes later...and vice versa.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Jan 2021

plesio wrote:
07 Jan 2021
Nice atmo in here. Good work. :) :thumbs_up:

rabidonthetrack

25 Jan 2021

I'm getting more of a muffled vibe rather than what I would call warmth. These are just words though.

Muffled = underwater.

It would be a good backing track for a documentary on a sea anemone.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2021

rabidonthetrack wrote:
25 Jan 2021
I'm getting more of a muffled vibe rather than what I would call warmth. These are just words though.

Muffled = underwater.

It would be a good backing track for a documentary on a sea anemone.
Thanks for the comment.
Interesting. Yeah all these descriptive words like: warm, punchy, creamy, fat, smooth, thick, color, seem to mean different things to everyone.
For me "muffled" only fits when there are actual high frequency rich instruments being played, but they somehow aren't bright enough. With this track it was an intentional choice to not have any high frequencies, so in my head it doesn't count as muffled. But again this track is just my personal way of interpreting "warmth". We all experience things differently.

rabidonthetrack

25 Jan 2021

Question: how did you achieve this desired effect of warmth? If I was in the hot seat, and somebody told me they wanted “warmth”, I’d be listening to saturation techniques. I know some filters might have drive/saturation but there is also a matter of not filtering too much. I’m very interested in this topic.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2021

rabidonthetrack wrote:
25 Jan 2021
Question: how did you achieve this desired effect of warmth? If I was in the hot seat, and somebody told me they wanted “warmth”, I’d be listening to saturation techniques. I know some filters might have drive/saturation but there is also a matter of not filtering too much. I’m very interested in this topic.
For me, bass and lower midrange gives me a sense of warmth. Anything bright or harsh gives me the opposite feeling. I haven't thought about it before. Maybe I associate warmth with "safe", like being indoors or "home", almost "cosy". Anything bright is more "exciting" and cold, adventurous, like being outside facing harsh weather like rain, wind or just facing the world at large.
I really don't think of it in terms of saturation. That's sounds like a very technical way of approaching things. Of course saturation can sometimes add more midrange and lessen the bright feel to some extent, so in that way it achivies something similar I guess.

This topic is so subjective. I remember watching a tutorial on how to make "punchy" drums. And the for me the way the guy did his compression settings resulted in the opposite.

It can be a bit frustrating though, when you want to convey a certain vision/image/feel with any form of art and the reciever gets something completely different out of it. At the same time it makes it equally interesting and exciting.

rabidonthetrack

25 Jan 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Jan 2021
For me, bass and lower midrange gives me a sense of warmth. Anything bright or harsh gives me the opposite feeling. I haven't thought about it before. Maybe I associate warmth with "safe", like being indoors or "home", almost "cosy". Anything bright is more "exciting" and cold, adventurous, like being outside facing harsh weather like rain, wind or just facing the world at large.
I'm sensing some dichotomous thinking if you don't mind me saying. What about room temperature? I just thought of this metaphor as I was reading your response and I personally feel like I struggle with this. One of the most important realizations I've had in my life, extending far beyond the Reasontalk forum, is the importance of balance.

It's now time for another game of words with friends. Harshness and brightness are two different topics for me.

Harshness: 2kHz - 5kHz
Brightness: 5kHz+

You might be interested in this bx_refinement plugin from PA. Recorded a quick video for you. I have a program called Plugin Doctor to analyze what a plugin is doing.

Auryn

25 Jan 2021

rabidonthetrack wrote:
25 Jan 2021
Wait, so you are already in a hot seat, but you still want more warmth? ;)

I'm pretty much with Tritone on this one, just take any track or part and filter off the top end >1000 hz or something and it will sound warm, providing you use a decent filter (the one in synapse GQ7 is one I use a lot) and the track does have some bottom to begin with. Saturation can sound warm but adds overtones again so it's a bit hit and miss in the digital domain I find, there's a huge selection of plugins/algorhythms to choose from and finding one that interacts nicely with the source material can be a challenge. I mean, saturation knob is nice, but I don't know what type of source material Kilohearts Faturator was tested on...
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

rabidonthetrack

25 Jan 2021

Auryn wrote:
25 Jan 2021
I'm pretty much with Tritone on this one, just take any track or part and filter off the top end >1000 hz or something and it will sound warm, providing you use a decent filter (the one in synapse GQ7 is one I use a lot)
I don't feel that warmth is pulling a low pass filter across the mix to the lower mid-range and we're missing a lot of the mix.

4filegate

26 Jan 2021

Bass Ratio (BR):
for a music performance, a higher reverberation time is desired for frequencies below 250 Hz, this creates "warmth of sound". It indicates the ratio of the reverberation time in the frequencies 125 Hz and 250 Hz to the frequencies 500 Hz and 1000 Hz. The desired bass ratio for a music performance (as opposed to music rehearsal rooms and music lessons) is 1.1 to 1.3.

However, the balance between warmth and brilliance should be kept in mind; excessive high frequency absorption will reduce brilliance unfavorably.
http://www.concerthalls.org/?page_id=90

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2021

I didn't expect this to turn into a deeper discussion regarding frequencies and how we perceive them. :D But feel free to discuss it further though if anyone wants to. I'll read it and enjoy it. But for me, I think I've said what I need regarding my own perception of "warmth". Not sure I have much more to add to the topic.

gritz

26 Jan 2021

very BEF like... early human league vibe...

rabidonthetrack

26 Jan 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Jan 2021
I didn't expect this to turn into a deeper discussion regarding frequencies and how we perceive them. :D But feel free to discuss it further though if anyone wants to. I'll read it and enjoy it. But for me, I think I've said what I need regarding my own perception of "warmth". Not sure I have much more to add to the topic.
It's worth nothing that I'm breaking in some Sennheiser HD 650's compared to my previous Beyerdynamic DT 770's. Basically, everything sounds a lot warmer than what I'm used to, but that's why I wanted to rip your track for the spectrum analyzer.

How much do you analyze your own listening environment? Are you a fan of using audio-visual tools to reinforce your ears?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2021

rabidonthetrack wrote:
26 Jan 2021
How much do you analyze your own listening environment? Are you a fan of using audio-visual tools to reinforce your ears?
I don't really analyze these things too much to be honest. A friend of mine is totally in to analyzing his music room and how it responds to frequencies and stuff. I'm quite the opposite. I hate delving into technical stuff. I'm much more into the creative part of music. Writing songs. I just want to get on with it, instead of getting stuck in technical explorations.

I should add that this type of track is very unussual for me. I don't think I've ever done another track with this sort of limited frequency range before. It was purely done for a specific purpose. It's not how I normally mix och arrange songs.

rabidonthetrack

26 Jan 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Jan 2021
I don't really analyze these things too much to be honest. A friend of mine is totally in to analyzing his music room and how it responds to frequencies and stuff. I'm quite the opposite. I hate delving into technical stuff. I'm much more into the creative part of music. Writing songs. I just want to get on with it, instead of getting stuck in technical explorations.
Totally understandable. I'm definitely more on the engineer + technical side of music which is why I had to question what I was doing with my time. I was obsessed with a mastering engineer on some other forum. I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. Love music but don't want to make a career out of the technicalities.

Troublemecca

26 Jan 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Jan 2021
rabidonthetrack wrote:
26 Jan 2021

I should add that this type of track is very unussual for me. I don't think I've ever done another track with this sort of limited frequency range before. It was purely done for a specific purpose. It's not how I normally mix och arrange songs.
I like it... you should keep pulling that thread, and expand on this!

4filegate

26 Jan 2021

music sounds like in space; RV700 MkII convolution reverb

In acoustics, reverberation is the convolution of the original sound with echoes from objects surrounding the sound source.
In digital signal processing, convolution is used to map the impulse response of a real room on a digital audio signal.

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Synchron_Packa ... rcussion_I

In electronic music convolution is the imposition of a spectral or rhythmic structure on a sound. Often this envelope or structure is taken from another sound. The convolution of two signals is the filtering of one through the other.

in the case of a guitar cabinet impulse response, you will hear the frequency response of the sampled amplifier

Convolution and related operations are found in many applications in science and engineering. In image processing applications such as adding blurring. The photographic term for this is bokeh. Convolutional neural networks apply multiple cascaded convolution kernels with applications in machine vision and artificial intelligence.

• Information