Rammstein - Jeder lacht (C64 Cover)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
User avatar
Noplan
Posts: 677
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Cologne, Germany

Post 26 Jul 2020

Here is my C64 remake of Rammsteins unreleased song "Jeder lacht" (Everybody is laughing at you) that was on their demo cassette tape.


User avatar
MannequinRaces
Posts: 1323
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 27 Jul 2020

Very nice! What REs or VSTs can do C64 sounds like this?

User avatar
w1pl0c
Posts: 83
Joined: 10 Oct 2017

Post 27 Jul 2020

graphics and song are dope
:reason: | Ableton | Resolume | ETC | Luminosus
Focusrite Sapphire Pro14 | SP-404sx (2) | Launchpad Pro | Akai MPD26 | KORG Minilogue
Windows 10 | Gigabyte AORUS PRO WiFi | Intel i7 | XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS | 64GB RAM
https://soundcloud.com/wiploc

User avatar
eusti
Moderator
Posts: 2562
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 27 Jul 2020

So great!!! Thank you for sharing! :)

D.

User avatar
Noplan
Posts: 677
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Cologne, Germany

Post 27 Jul 2020

Thank you.
MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Jul 2020
Very nice! What REs or VSTs can do C64 sounds like this?
I have not found anything that was good enough as a plugin. I therefore record from the real C64. And the only thing that comes closest is a C64 emulator like VICE, which then runs with ReSID. And to my knowledge, ReSID is not intended for commercial purposes, which is why there are no plugins with it.

Here is the direct sound from the emulation:

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2245
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 27 Jul 2020

that was awesome! love that the digital electric guitar is in drop-D tuning. 😆 also, I’ve now learned my first (likely only) Rammstein riff.

haven’t really tried to get into them, but I think I need to pull some of their stuff up on Spotify and give them a shot now. well done!

User avatar
eusti
Moderator
Posts: 2562
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 27 Jul 2020

Noplan wrote:
27 Jul 2020
I have not found anything that was good enough as a plugin.
Have you tested inSIDuous?



https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=546729

D.

User avatar
Noplan
Posts: 677
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Cologne, Germany

Post 27 Jul 2020

eusti wrote:
27 Jul 2020
Noplan wrote:
27 Jul 2020
I have not found anything that was good enough as a plugin.
Have you tested inSIDuous?



https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=546729

D.
Yes, I've seen other people make music with it. If you don't know the SID chip well enough, it may not sound typical and it wont be accepted in the scene. ;) My problem with such plugins is that they do not have the same restrictions and operating characteristics that make up the typical sound. With the SID chip, the instruments influence each other depending on the parameters, such as the crappy filter. There are many tricks that you don't have with such a plugin. But it depends on what demands you have. InSIDous sounds very good, but not good enough for me as a C64 fascist. And I can't end up playing the compositions on a real C64. So I would always prefer a C64 emulator.

User avatar
eusti
Moderator
Posts: 2562
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 27 Jul 2020

Noplan wrote:
27 Jul 2020
Yes, I've seen other people make music with it... So I would always prefer a C64 emulator.
Wow! Thanks for your detailed answer. Appreciate it.
Always liked the sound of the SID, but never got around having one... So, I lack that deeper understanding! 👍🙏

D.

User avatar
MannequinRaces
Posts: 1323
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 27 Jul 2020

Noplan wrote:
27 Jul 2020
Thank you.
MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Jul 2020
Very nice! What REs or VSTs can do C64 sounds like this?
I have not found anything that was good enough as a plugin. I therefore record from the real C64. And the only thing that comes closest is a C64 emulator like VICE, which then runs with ReSID. And to my knowledge, ReSID is not intended for commercial purposes, which is why there are no plugins with it.

Here is the direct sound from the emulation:
Fantastic! Thanks for the info. 2nd question, how’d you make the visuals for your video? Really nice presentation!

User avatar
Noplan
Posts: 677
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Cologne, Germany

Post 28 Jul 2020

Fantastic! Thanks for the info. 2nd question, how’d you make the visuals for your video? Really nice presentation!
For this video I used only characters (PETSCII) to draw all frames by hand for the animations in Petmate https://nurpax.github.io/petmate/. It's like ASCII but for the C64.
petmate.jpg
For my guitar animation I had to paint 32 individual pictures. I imagined in my head how a guitar would turn and then I had to draw it frame by frame with the limitations of PETSCII. It was the hardest part of the whole video after the Paralax Roflcopter skyline.
Xb_Guitar_360.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
MannequinRaces
Posts: 1323
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 28 Jul 2020

Awesome! I’ve been using a free program called REXPaint to do ASCII art lately. My favorite part of your video was the spinning guitar! Got any plans to do more like videos like this?

User avatar
Noplan
Posts: 677
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Cologne, Germany

Post 28 Jul 2020

MannequinRaces wrote:
28 Jul 2020
Got any plans to do more like videos like this?
Sure, of course!

teddymcw
Posts: 330
Joined: 13 May 2016

Post 28 Jul 2020

Holy Crap this was awesome. Thank you for making, sharing, inspiring!

rare_shadow
Posts: 87
Joined: 14 Nov 2018

Post 29 Jul 2020

Incredible piece of art both musically and visually!

User avatar
stratatonic
Posts: 1121
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: CANADA

Post 03 Aug 2020

Noplan wrote:
26 Jul 2020
Here is my C64 remake of Rammsteins unreleased song "Jeder lacht" (Everybody is laughing at you) that was on their demo cassette tape.

https://www.you tube.com/watch?v=hk3peGy1v60
That was really well done. Not as HEAVY as the demo, but a good cover. And the video was very well produced. I like the little touches here and there - the rodent scurrying across the screen and the helicopter with the ROFL LOL to OMG blades, ha ha. :lol:
How long did it take you to do the visuals?

Thousand Ways
Posts: 144
Joined: 18 Jun 2015

Post 04 Aug 2020

BUFF!

Amazing. Did you deliberately choose Rammstein's most obscure song? I'd never heard of it – it isn't even in the boxed set that came out a few years back. Doesn't the title translate as just "Everyone laughs"?

User avatar
Noplan
Posts: 677
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Cologne, Germany

Post 07 Aug 2020

stratatonic wrote:
03 Aug 2020
Noplan wrote:
26 Jul 2020
Here is my C64 remake of Rammsteins unreleased song "Jeder lacht" (Everybody is laughing at you) that was on their demo cassette tape.

https://www.you tube.com/watch?v=hk3peGy1v60
That was really well done. Not as HEAVY as the demo, but a good cover. And the video was very well produced. I like the little touches here and there - the rodent scurrying across the screen and the helicopter with the ROFL LOL to OMG blades, ha ha. :lol:
How long did it take you to do the visuals?
Thank you. I spent ~2 months on the visuals.

User avatar
Noplan
Posts: 677
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Cologne, Germany

Post 07 Aug 2020

Thousand Ways wrote:
04 Aug 2020
BUFF!
Ei_Buff.gif
Amazing. Did you deliberately choose Rammstein's most obscure song? I'd never heard of it – it isn't even in the boxed set that came out a few years back. Doesn't the title translate as just "Everyone laughs"?
I searched for old Rammstein songs and found this song on Youtube. I thought this "buff" alone was very funny. The refrain translates "Everybody is laughing at you." And that somehow immediately inspired me for my video.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thousand Ways
Posts: 144
Joined: 18 Jun 2015

Post 07 Aug 2020

:thumbs_up: The "buff" must be slang in German – I can't find it in a German dictionary. Presumably it means some kind of smack or hit. I'm assuming that they didn't mean the English slang: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=buff

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests