(Synthpop) Enough is Enough (Version 2.0)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Some Desperate Glory

18 Jun 2020

Hi everyone,

We finished a song called Enough is Enough a while ago. Patrick (aka Bitley) suggested we make a few changes to improve the song and make it more exciting. We took his constructive criticism to heart and re-worked the songs. The changes are:

1. increased tempo from 125 BPM to 132 BPM

2. Changed key from C minor to E minor (just make the vocals a bit more frantic)

3. Added a new bassline with a lot more energy

4. Added some additional synthesizer and drum parts.

All the editing was done inside Reason. I didn't re-record any vocals. I used Reason's pitch and timestretch tools to get it done. I learned a ton and I think it turned out pretty well!

In case you're interested do an A/B to see how far the song has come, here is the original:

Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

Loque

18 Jun 2020

Its not my type of music, but it sounds good. Just the bass is a bit too much upfront imo.
Reason12, Win10

BananaSkins

18 Jun 2020

I think you have lost your way with version 2... :(

You added way too many elements and have crushed your vocal space and drum space especially using that funky ARP bass melody - I can clearly hear your vocals in version 1 but I am struggling to hear them cut through in version 2.

Vocals / backing vocals also need addressing / tuning etc

Listen to your mix in mono and you will hear how cluttered it is.

Two key things to remember is:

1. Vocals should always be key - and take centre stage over everything else.
2. More is Less.

A good catchy track; (I much prefer version 1) thanks for posting.. :thumbs_up:

Benedict
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2020

V2 is somewhat like those endless remixes you used to get to fluff up a CD single. It is ok and maybe someone will play it somewhere but all too often it is overdone as the shift moved from telling this story (which you guys normally do well) to being Producery.

Not bad per se, but not doing the song itself justice.

:-)

p.s. I y'all ever want another mix/take on a track, I am open; either as part of Mix Walkthrough or just a mix/version.
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Some Desperate Glory

18 Jun 2020

Loque wrote:
18 Jun 2020
Its not my type of music, but it sounds good. Just the bass is a bit too much upfront imo.
Thanks for listening. You're not alone in this opinion...
I think you have lost your way with version 2... :(

You added way too many elements and have crushed your vocal space and drum space especially using that funky ARP bass melody - I can clearly hear your vocals in version 1 but I am struggling to hear them cut through in version 2.

Vocals / backing vocals also need addressing / tuning etc

Listen to your mix in mono and you will hear how cluttered it is.

Two key things to remember is:

1. Vocals should always be key - and take centre stage over everything else.
2. More is Less.

A good catchy track; (I much prefer version 1) thanks for posting.. :thumbs_up:
Yes, in further listening I can see the vocal mix is too low (and the mix itself is crowded). I think I will have a go at thinning it out a bit.

I appreciate you taking the time to listen and give feedback!

V2 is somewhat like those endless remixes you used to get to fluff up a CD single. It is ok and maybe someone will play it somewhere but all too often it is overdone as the shift moved from telling this story (which you guys normally do well) to being Producery.

Not bad per se, but not doing the song itself justice.

p.s. I y'all ever want another mix/take on a track, I am open; either as part of Mix Walkthrough or just a mix/version.
:-)
I was actually inspired by a particular one of those 12" mixes (or CD single mix). I see your point. I think it may still need some work. :) We will def. take you up on a mixing class!
Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

• Information