(Electro, Techno) Zoonotic - EternalReturn EP

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
KLAW

16 Jun 2020

This EP was made in April and May 2020. During the height of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic.
Burlington, Vermont USA

Produced entirely in Reason 11
Stock Reason synths, RE synths and VST synths

AgentElsewhere is skulking in the shadows of parts unknown

Benedict
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2020

Well done.

I won't pretend to really like it as it is not my cup of meat - altho as I write that there is a melodic part in the middle of Isolation, more of that, please. Matter of fact as I go through tracks I like it better as there is less of that stressful rhythm stuff.

Everything is clear & present so your mix is working. There is a cover with Titles so it looks & feels like a real project.

If I have to compare (from my limited Techno albums) it would be a bit like 808 State at times.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

KLAW

22 Jun 2020

Thanks for listening Benedict!
I appreciate your feedback.

MannequinRaces

22 Jun 2020

Nice work! I either love or hate the bass line juxtaposed against the arp on the first track, lol. It’s hard to explain. :) Gonna give this another spin. The songs all cohesively go together very well. This has inspired me to finish off some songs I’m working on and release an EP. I was thinking about doing a full length release but this feels more obtainable for sure, at least for me.

Chizmata

23 Jun 2020

i listened to spigot opening. its a creative and pleasant track with balanced progression, pretty straight grooves but more classical and dissonant melodic work. i think the mix could have been done better though. its mainly the bassline that produces a muddy feeling for me, but i cant tell what the exact problem is. maybe you should add more low cut to it or the delay and reverb, or slightly tune it up or down.

KLAW

24 Jun 2020

MannequinRaces wrote:
22 Jun 2020
Nice work! I either love or hate the bass line juxtaposed against the arp on the first track, lol. It’s hard to explain. :) Gonna give this another spin. The songs all cohesively go together very well. This has inspired me to finish off some songs I’m working on and release an EP. I was thinking about doing a full length release but this feels more obtainable for sure, at least for me.
I think I get where you are coming from regarding the arp and bass line. I was trying to create the uncertainty and fear that was felt at the beginning of the pandemic.
With this EP being a pandemic documentation of sorts I wanted to release it ASAP so I set a deadline to finish June 15th. I think setting the deadline really helps with making decisions and moving on.
I've been working on a full length Hip Hop album for over 3 years and am only about 75% done so shrinking the track list definitely makes completion seem more obtainable.

Thanks for the feedback and for listening!

KLAW

24 Jun 2020

Chizmata wrote:
23 Jun 2020
i listened to spigot opening. its a creative and pleasant track with balanced progression, pretty straight grooves but more classical and dissonant melodic work. i think the mix could have been done better though. its mainly the bassline that produces a muddy feeling for me, but i cant tell what the exact problem is. maybe you should add more low cut to it or the delay and reverb, or slightly tune it up or down.
Thanks for listening and giving feedback Chizmata. I'll experiment with your suggestions on / around the bass. I appreciate the mixing criticism, it's something i'm always trying to improve on so any critique is helpful.

MannequinRaces

24 Jun 2020

KLAW wrote:
24 Jun 2020
MannequinRaces wrote:
22 Jun 2020
I think I get where you are coming from regarding the arp and bass line. I was trying to create the uncertainty and fear that was felt at the beginning of the pandemic.
With this EP being a pandemic documentation of sorts I wanted to release it ASAP so I set a deadline to finish June 15th. I think setting the deadline really helps with making decisions and moving on.
I've been working on a full length Hip Hop album for over 3 years and am only about 75% done so shrinking the track list definitely makes completion seem more obtainable.

Thanks for the feedback and for listening!
Missing accomplished then! That really puts things into perspective. You’re absolutely right about deadlines. I should try imposing them on myself more often.

• Information