Feedback wanted edm song

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Popey
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2020

Hi been tinkering with synths for a long time but never actually made anything more than 8-16 loops before. Appreciate feedback on my first effort of writing a tune. Personally feel bass needs raining in a couple of db.

Benedict
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2020

Howdy Mr Popey

Congrats on stepping past being a quitter pope (hihi) and moving from loops to an arrangement. That is a huge step and a hard one as it opens up problems. How you solve those problems however is where the real magic is.

As for Mixing, despite what people try to say in Forums and Tuts, there are no rigid rules in how a mix must be balanced. If you want your bass at +120dB to tell your story then that is ok. Unless of course, that ruins your overall story by swamping everything else in the scene in splat. Yes, you could raise your bass here maybe a db or so but go careful as that will also potentially muddy up your overall tone, sapping punch & clarity as well as the sense of "float" that is an asset here. As for pulling it back, I wouldn't say so based on what I hear in my studio (and therefore anticipate I should hear on my sub in the lounge). If however, you have a lot of really low sub, somewhat separate from the main bass, then that may be excessive, esp if it is generally unheard.

The core sounds are nice and overall fitting with the piece. Sometimes I wonder why the lead doesn't change much - yes the sound morphs through the piece but it is essentially still the one loop, repeated. What about a second sound and a second part to add a sense of counterpoint or conversation? The lead being hard and on the left for effectively the whole last section feels like a bit of a thing. I am not saying the tone or panning is wrong, simply that you could use something of equal weight on the other side. I know the main loop is there but seeing it is essentially unchanged, it tends to become ignored through familiarity. If you want to stay musically minimal, you can just swap or alter sounds to add the delight of same but different.

Again, well done. I listened several times with no desire to make it stop. For a first go, you have done well. Keep it up.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Popey
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2020

Hi Benedict,

Thank you for the feedback it is appreciated and I will definately take it on board. I don't have a studio per se and just create in a bedroom with small monitors and felt that the bass seemed a little loud once trying the mix in headphones so appreciate your opinion considering it is highly likely your listening environment is better than mine. Thanks for taking the time to help me improve.

Popey
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2020

HI,

Tried to take on board feedback and made some amendments. appreciate any feedback on version 2.

Thanks

Popey
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2020

gullum wrote:
20 Jun 2020
second version just sounds much better so good revisited
Thanks gullem. Credit to Benedict for pointing me in the right direction but still got a lot to learn. More I create the better I will get I guess.

Benedict
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2020

The sound is definitely more unique this time around. It is deeper with more sense of mystery. Less bright or cheery as a result but I have no objection - just don't think darker (grungier is better - it is simply another color).

Melody is minimal but feels more even & developed overall this time too.

So on both counts well done. Winning!

Benedict Roff-Marsh

guitfnky

20 Jun 2020

impressive. I’ve only listened to the updated version, but it would fit really well in a game soundtrack, I think.

as for constructive feedback, all I’d say is, mix-wise, I think the open hat is a bit too loud for my liking. that’s the only minor complaint I have. the music flows, and feels really well-developed, start to finish. nice work!
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Popey
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2020

guitfnky wrote:
20 Jun 2020
impressive. I’ve only listened to the updated version, but it would fit really well in a game soundtrack, I think.

as for constructive feedback, all I’d say is, mix-wise, I think the open hat is a bit too loud for my liking. that’s the only minor complaint I have. the music flows, and feels really well-developed, start to finish. nice work!
Thank you 😀. I will have to look at the open hat as agree it did sound a tad loud after your comment brought this to my attention. Appreciate the feedback 👍

Popey
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2020

Benedict wrote:
20 Jun 2020
The sound is definitely more unique this time around. It is deeper with more sense of mystery. Less bright or cheery as a result but I have no objection - just don't think darker (grungier is better - it is simply another color).

Melody is minimal but feels more even & developed overall this time too.

So on both counts well done. Winning!

Thanks Benedict. Appreciate you taking the time to provide constructive criticism and help me start my song writing journey, everything you said about my first attempt was spot on and really useful.

Benedict
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2020

Benedict Roff-Marsh

• Information