Sparkable (Downtempo-Slowjazz)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
evolve187

31 May 2020

Hi guys, Just working on finishing up a new chill track as was hoping for some feedback regarding the mix and arrangement.

After listening to it so many times I fear I've lost my objectivity .No one seems to ever respond with feedback but I'd really appreciate your thoughts if you would be so kind.

Thanks! :reason:

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

https://soundcloud.com/terry-wilson-music

gullum

01 Jun 2020

I love the atmosphere in the song got the feel of traveling underwater in a submarine or something. Well-balanced sounds but I do not get the reference to Jazz

evolve187

02 Jun 2020

gullum wrote:
01 Jun 2020
I love the atmosphere in the song got the feel of traveling underwater in a submarine or something. Well-balanced sounds but I do not get the reference to Jazz
Thanks for the feedback. ya I guess the jazz reference is not quite accurate, it was more me trying to be descriptive regarding the piano bit.

Anyhow, thanks again!
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

evolve187

03 Jun 2020

visheshl wrote:
02 Jun 2020
Nice music 👍
Thanks Vishehl :)

Benedict
Competition Winner

03 Jun 2020

It feels LOUD. Maybe that is the intent, to make me feel a bit pinned to the wall.

It is definitely interesting with all kinds of bits that could be Space Music, EDM or just wacky, mashed Jazz.

I feel like some things are squashed in the press when they probably shouldn't be.

Maybe decide what the central idea is and build your other parts around that as over time I get lost in what the story is supposed to be. The mix needs to help direct me there instead of saying it is equally about everything at once.

If you are open to another approach, I would be happy to talk to you about this being on my Mix Walkthrough series as it is fascinating

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Pete B

04 Jun 2020

The intro and less busy parts sound very cinematic. I think you have a good variety of sounds – they sound very distinct and varied in size. I like the relaxed feel. As for the arrangement, if I remember correctly, most of the female vocals were early on in the track and you only came back to them towards the very end; I think it would have been better to have it the other way round – with the bulk of the vocals being in the second half of the song and just a few introductory parts earlier on. If you did that you could even make them more prominent and complex, as if she is actually singing about something.

guitfnky

04 Jun 2020

I like this a lot. I do agree it’s missing a bit of depth from a dynamics perspective. it does feel to me that some of the elements could be pulled back in the mix to create a larger sense of space and movement. I think for me, that might mean pulling back on the bass synth a bit in some spots (it seems too loud in some spots for me, but sounds good in others). the background synths could maybe be pulled back a little too, in some areas.

if I were working on this, I’d start by keeping the foundation (bass and drums) fairly consistent—which you’ve already done for the most part, then drawing focus to one or two of the more important elements in each section. the horns seem to be one of the most important instruments, for example, so whenever that’s playing, I might find ways to give that more attention, by either pulling down the volume of other elements by a DB or two, or EQing the other elements (maybe adding a low-pass filter), or trying some other processing to give them some depth even when pulled back in the mix a bit (a different reverb or delay, perhaps).

but•••it’s a great song. and I love the name. nice work!
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

evolve187

11 Jun 2020

Benedict wrote:
03 Jun 2020
It feels LOUD. Maybe that is the intent, to make me feel a bit pinned to the wall.

It is definitely interesting with all kinds of bits that could be Space Music, EDM or just wacky, mashed Jazz.

I feel like some things are squashed in the press when they probably shouldn't be.

Maybe decide what the central idea is and build your other parts around that as over time I get lost in what the story is supposed to be. The mix needs to help direct me there instead of saying it is equally about everything at once.

If you are open to another approach, I would be happy to talk to you about this being on my Mix Walkthrough series as it is fascinating

Thanks Benedict. Sorry for the delayed response. That is the kind of feedback that i was hoping to get. Interestingly, listening back on headphones I can hear what you mean about being loud, it sounds much less so on my monitors :shock: ... I don't think anything is over compressed or over driven... perhaps a couple of the samples were recorded a tad loud.

I'd be interested in hearing your suggestions on the arrangement, I'm really not sure what he central idea would be.

And please pm me regarding your walkthrough series....Anything that will help me and others learn, count me in.

Cheers.

MannequinRaces

11 Jun 2020

Nice chill track! I'd be interested to see what direction Benedict takes this. I don't think the mix is bad at all, just needs some work. I can make out all of the elements in the mix clearly, I think it's more of deciding what should be up front more and what should be more in the background. Also maybe sounds like some things have reverb and others don't. That makes it feel a little disjointed sonically but is a small nitpick. Musically everything works very well together and I like the arrangement.

Benedict
Competition Winner

11 Jun 2020

evolve187 wrote:
11 Jun 2020
I'd be interested in hearing your suggestions on the arrangement, I'm really not sure what he central idea would be.

And please pm me regarding your walkthrough series....Anything that will help me and others learn, count me in.
There is a link to my Walkthroughs in my Signature. See if that appeals to you.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

evolve187

11 Jun 2020

guitfnky wrote:
04 Jun 2020
I like this a lot. I do agree it’s missing a bit of depth from a dynamics perspective. it does feel to me that some of the elements could be pulled back in the mix to create a larger sense of space and movement. I think for me, that might mean pulling back on the bass synth a bit in some spots (it seems too loud in some spots for me, but sounds good in others). the background synths could maybe be pulled back a little too, in some areas.

if I were working on this, I’d start by keeping the foundation (bass and drums) fairly consistent—which you’ve already done for the most part, then drawing focus to one or two of the more important elements in each section. the horns seem to be one of the most important instruments, for example, so whenever that’s playing, I might find ways to give that more attention, by either pulling down the volume of other elements by a DB or two, or EQing the other elements (maybe adding a low-pass filter), or trying some other processing to give them some depth even when pulled back in the mix a bit (a different reverb or delay, perhaps).

but•••it’s a great song. and I love the name. nice work!
Thank you guitfnky! That is excellent descriptive feedback. I think abit of mix automation definitely could help. I'm by nature a bit of a maximist (read busy arrangements) and its something I strive to correct in myself...as most know, less is more.

thanks again, I really appreciate the thoughtful and constructive comment. :thumbs_up:

Heigen5

11 Jun 2020

This tune makes me think about a game GTA whereas someone newly rich person is relaxing to this song. So yeah, liking!

Benedict
Competition Winner

17 Jun 2020

This is my Mix Walkthrough of Terry's track:

Final Mix is at 13:05
It wasn't a great day for me yesterday and I uploaded the raw video instead of the one with the pretties on it.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

• Information