Critique my mixing. Any ideas and opinions are welcome.

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2020

It's been a while since I stopped and really thought about my mixing. So I figured maybe it's time to let people freely give their opinion on how my current mixing is. Maybe you hear things I don't or would do things differently. Any ideas are welcome.

Since I can't decide what track is most suitable for this I'll just pick my latest track since it's the most current.

I've decided I won't fall for the temptation to jump in and agreeing or disagreeing with any comment. Instead I'll simply say thank you for sharing your opinion, take a couple of weeks to ponder, be as open minded as I can and eventually figure out what I find useful.

Loque

24 Apr 2020

I am listening on mobile atm. Sounds balanced, i like the ideas and sounds, arrangement is good. I woukd like to have it a bot more crazy, but this is my type of business πŸ˜‚

You are doing good. Keep on!

I will give it a go in my studio if i am there.
Reason12, Win10

Kalm

24 Apr 2020

I'm not buy my desk at the moment but through my ATH-M70x I can say you're mixing fairly on the dark side. Though for what you're doing it might be more suited for it. I hear a lot of low mids and the fundamental tones of each sound is coming through pretty nicely but you may want to play in your stem mixing, mastering stage to add a slight bit of lift to some things to push that right end of the spectrum. I like how heavy those drums are!
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

orthodox
RE Developer

24 Apr 2020

IMO, the bass synth (@0:28) is too close and flat, maybe move it a bit off and partly reverb? The same story about a couple of synths. The guitar at 1:37 is nice by contrast. I mean, since most of the thing feels a bit spacious, flat parts occupying the center muffle it, especially in headphones.
Sorry if I'm talking nonsense, I know nothing about music.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2020

Loque wrote: ↑
24 Apr 2020
I am listening on mobile atm. Sounds balanced, i like the ideas and sounds, arrangement is good. I woukd like to have it a bot more crazy, but this is my type of business πŸ˜‚

Thanks for the listen.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2020

Kalm wrote: ↑
24 Apr 2020
I'm not buy my desk at the moment but through my ATH-M70x I can say you're mixing fairly on the dark side. Though for what you're doing it might be more suited for it. I hear a lot of low mids and the fundamental tones of each sound is coming through pretty nicely but you may want to play in your stem mixing, mastering stage to add a slight bit of lift to some things to push that right end of the spectrum. I like how heavy those drums are!
Thanks for your comment, appreciate it.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2020

orthodox wrote: ↑
24 Apr 2020
IMO, the bass synth (@0:28) is too close and flat, maybe move it a bit off and partly reverb? The same story about a couple of synths. The guitar at 1:37 is nice by contrast. I mean, since most of the thing feels a bit spacious, flat parts occupying the center muffle it, especially in headphones.
Thanks for giving it a listen. Just so I understand your comment correctly. When you use the word "flat" do you mean dry as in non reverby, or something else? Also "maybe move it a bit off". I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that. Sorry for being a bit thick.
Sometimes we use descriptive words for music like flat, punchy, warm, crispy, but I've noticed they can mean different things for different people.

orthodox
RE Developer

24 Apr 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote: ↑
24 Apr 2020
24 Apr 2020
Thanks for giving it a listen. Just so I understand your comment correctly. When you use the word "flat" do you mean dry as in non reverby, or something else? Also "maybe move it a bit off". I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that. Sorry for being a bit thick.
Sometimes we use descriptive words for music like flat, punchy, warm, crispy, but I've noticed they can mean different things for different people.
I actually have no clue what feels wrong to me. Some of the instruments are perceived as being too close, literally inside my head, while lacking the depth that the rest of the picture has. It is especially bothering if the instrument is something basic. I have nothing against basic synth tones, it's more about placing them in the mix. The guitar I talked about sounds like moved a little away and residing in its own cabinet, and that feels good. Maybe the same thing could be done about other synths that go one after another in succession. I guess it's about reverb and a little bit of eq.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2020

24 Apr 2020
24 Apr 2020

I actually have no clue what feels wrong to me. Some of the instruments are perceived as being too close, literally inside my head, while lacking the depth that the rest of the picture has. It is especially bothering if the instrument is something basic. I have nothing against basic synth tones, it's more about placing them in the mix. The guitar I talked about sounds like moved a little away and residing in its own cabinet, and that feels good. Maybe the same thing could be done about other synths that go one after another in succession. I guess it's about reverb and a little bit of eq.
Ok thanks for clarifying.

raymondh

24 Apr 2020

Nothing to do with the mix, but I love the Kraftwerky arp starting at 1:06 !!

sdst
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2020

sounds a little compressed to me, but maybe because I like music with headroom

maybe for your style is ok

Jmax

25 Apr 2020

Just observing that it sounds different to everyone. Even at the mixing level.

So, if you've got a pretty good sounding mix. The rest is up to interpretation and personal preference.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Apr 2020

raymondh wrote: ↑
24 Apr 2020
Nothing to do with the mix, but I love the Kraftwerky arp starting at 1:06 !!
Thanks. I got that bit from Evolution, of course with some note adjustments here and there.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Apr 2020

sdst wrote: ↑
24 Apr 2020
sounds a little compressed to me, but maybe because I like music with headroom

maybe for your style is ok
Thanks for your comment.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Apr 2020

Jmax wrote: ↑
25 Apr 2020
Just observing that it sounds different to everyone. Even at the mixing level.

So, if you've got a pretty good sounding mix. The rest is up to interpretation and personal preference.
Yes. This is the tricky part and why I want to take some time to ponder on all the comments I get.
Because even though some advice might be totally legit it's still about personal taste in the end.
For example I've seen plenty of people who love old black metal recordings where the bass is pretty much non existent and there are harsh frequencies everywhere. From a commercial standpoint though they are a complete disaster. It's like the took every "rule" of mixing and did the opposite.

rare_shadow
Competition Winner

25 Apr 2020

Very fun track! I like the lead sound that plays around 1:40.

The mix sounds very balanced to me.
One thing I find a bit disturbing is the stereo image starting from 0:30. The two counter parts (the higher synth and the lower sawvy synth) are too wide apart in the stereo field for my taste.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Apr 2020

rare_shadow wrote: ↑
25 Apr 2020
Very fun track! I like the lead sound that plays around 1:40.

The mix sounds very balanced to me.
One thing I find a bit disturbing is the stereo image starting from 0:30. The two counter parts (the higher synth and the lower sawvy synth) are too wide apart in the stereo field for my taste.
Thanks for your comment. :thumbs_up:

Loque

26 Apr 2020

24 Apr 2020
24 Apr 2020

Thanks for the listen.
I now checked it on my monitors. All subjection and IMHO:
* Lacks low end
* Man, i wish that melody in the high area before the guitar would have note-panning or would just dance a bit from left to right, to break out of the mono (matter of teaste for sure)
* I like the beat, that pitched baseline and the guitar, arrangement is good and all that stuff i already said.

The overall balance of the sounds and frequency occupation is good. Just the low end is too weak imo.
Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Apr 2020

26 Apr 2020
24 Apr 2020

Thanks for the listen.
I now checked it on my monitors. All subjection and IMHO:
* Lacks low end
* Man, i wish that melody in the high area before the guitar would have note-panning or would just dance a bit from left to right, to break out of the mono (matter of teaste for sure)
* I like the beat, that pitched baseline and the guitar, arrangement is good and all that stuff i already said.

The overall balance of the sounds and frequency occupation is good. Just the low end is too weak imo.
Thanks for your opinion :thumbs_up:

• Information