(Michael Jackson Tribute) "Starlight"

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
hurricane
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2020

I finished this one in Reason, and then exported all the parts in mono to Logic and completely revised and re-arranged it there. I like to use Reason to get ideas down, but I prefer using Logic to finish them.

I used multiple PX7s, a few Rytmiks, some NNXTs. On the VST side, I used UVIs Fairlight, Arturia's Synclavier, PG-8x, and Sampletank 4. All effects are audio units - Excalibur, Arturia's reverbs, lots of Waves and Plugin Alliance.

Thanks for listening.

Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

teddymcw

23 Apr 2020

whoa awesome, thoroughly enjoyed! Interesting workflow btw

hurricane
Competition Winner

23 Apr 2020

teddymcw wrote:
23 Apr 2020
whoa awesome, thoroughly enjoyed! Interesting workflow btw
Thanks!

I don't have a mixing/mastering engineer that I can send my stuff to. Most of us do everything, and that wasn't working for me. Separating the writing process from the mixing process is my new workflow, and I just started this rather recently. So I finish a track in Reason (and by 'finish' I mean laying down all the parts and coming up with an arrangement, but doing absolutely zero mixing) and then start with a blank slate in Logic, which psychologically is sort of a fresh start. And because I'm working with audio, I don't have the temptation to continually tinker with a part, which wasted soooooo much time for me in the past. The song is DONE. Now I'm forced to focus on the arrangement and on mixing. In this track, I realized the original middle part just wasn't working, so I deleted it in Logic and created a new middle part with bits and pieces of the track. I didn't go back to Reason and try to re-write it. Saved me time, and it came out ok.

starlightreason.jpg
starlightreason.jpg (176.68 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
starlightlogic.jpg
starlightlogic.jpg (208.66 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

rare_shadow
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2020

Great track! I really like authentic 80s vibe.

EdwardKiy

24 Apr 2020

And now to record the vocal!

hurricane
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
24 Apr 2020
And now to record the vocal!
But I can't sing!
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2020

rare_shadow wrote:
24 Apr 2020
I really like authentic 80s vibe.
I know! Me too.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

cmstrike

24 Apr 2020

So I never post here (I'm a daily lurker), but I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed this. Love the vibe so much. And being a huge MJ fan, I appreciate the nod to Starlight. What did you use for the guitars?

EdwardKiy

24 Apr 2020

hurricane wrote:
24 Apr 2020
But I can't sing!
This is a song 45% complete. That's a lot of work already done. Would be a damn shame to just let it rot on your hard drive, mate. A number of things you can do:

1) try writing lyrics that fit by singing in the pathetic shitty little voice that you think you have so then you can purchase a voice on fiverr for $20 to sing exactly what you need over that
2) half way through producing the lyrics you will probably realize your voice isn't that bad and you can work with it and improve it, but either way, even if you don't want to write any lyrics and just do a 100% MJ copy and buy a voice on fiverr and get a vocal to your liking, you can then
3) still spend another $20 on proper mixing/mastering with vocals by a pro who has spent a decade doing just that
4) study the results

At $40 this is the cheapest-best masterclass you will ever purchase, trust me. This will take your music further. There will be a lot of times when you will feel like giving up.

Have faith in yourself and best of luck!

hurricane
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2020

cmstrike wrote:
24 Apr 2020
So I never post here (I'm a daily lurker), but I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed this. Love the vibe so much. And being a huge MJ fan, I appreciate the nod to Starlight. What did you use for the guitars?
Thanks a lot! I'm a huge MJ fan myself. I did another MJ-style track called "Dance". I think you'd like it. And it was done 100% in Reason.

The guitars in Starlight are from Ujam's Sparkle which I got for free, I don't remember how.

https://www.ujam.com/product/sparkle/
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

raymondh

24 Apr 2020

As usual, really excellent! Great 80s vibe, sound design, arrangement and a nice clean mix.

hurricane
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2020

raymondh wrote:
24 Apr 2020
As usual, really excellent! Great 80s vibe, sound design, arrangement and a nice clean mix.
This one still needs a little work, but I'm glad you like it. :puf_smile:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

raymondh

24 Apr 2020

hurricane wrote:
24 Apr 2020
raymondh wrote:
24 Apr 2020
This one still needs a little work, but I'm glad you like it. :puf_smile:
There's a saying along the lines of: you never finish a track, you abandon it :)

avasopht
Competition Winner

25 Apr 2020

Straight fire!!!

Skimrok

25 Apr 2020

that is wicked all you need is holiday rap for the finish

only kidding about the rap, I thought it make you chuckle :lol: :thumbs_up:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

hurricane
Competition Winner

26 Apr 2020

Skimrok wrote:
25 Apr 2020
that is wicked all you need is holiday rap for the finish
Ha! Yeah, in the remix. :mrgreen:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

• Information