(ambient / new-age) Below The Surface [updated]

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
raymondh

19 Apr 2020

Hi everyone,

Some production notes for this track:

"Roland heavy" - starting with D-05 which is the boutique version of the D-50. The underwater FX, the pluck lead etc. The pluck lead is 3D panned using the free Sennheiser Ambeo binaural/surround plugin, with Reason automation to hopefully make it sound like the pluck is panning around your head (any feedback appreciated on whether you think the effect worked and worth the effort!)

Initial bass drone is the incredible Synapse Audio The Legend, that is IMO as good as any real hardware!! It sounds organic /alive.
The 3 note bass line is Moog Sirin (for weight) with a little bit of Roland System-8 [native engine] (for colour)

The pads in the 'verse' and 'chorus' sections are multiple layers of primarily Roland JX-8P for it's warm lush sound, with D-05 layers and subtle JP-08+System 8 layers for movement and interest. I used the Sennheiser plugin again in the chorus to try to increase the expansiveness of the soundstage (but not as successfully as I would have liked - I still have a lot to learn about mixing!!)

The main lead sound is from Blamsoft Expanse. It was the inspiration behind the whole track because I thought it sounded nice and emotional. I tried hard to make it sound 'fragile' and emotional, mainly through dynamics, pitch bending, and playing notes very 'unquantised'.
Expanse is a fantastic synth and I'm reminded to use this more in future!

Last edited by raymondh on 17 Jul 2020, edited 1 time in total.

EdwardKiy

25 Apr 2020

This sounds really wide, perceivable as huge, almost cinematic dynamic range. The first half is great immersion, your 3D sound really making an impact! Can't comment on the "sound" aspect, because my own is way weaker. The second half focuses more on melody (2:20+), and I'd like the synth in the guitar range to have more movement and be lighter (as in being either more staccato and/or move around in the dynamic range and take notes more often) or maybe the opposite can work - making it more subtle. Right now to me it sounds a bit too simple and vague, like a melodic placeholder for a vocal, but all of that is just nit-picking and my personal preference. Maybe that's what you were going for. Great piece!

raymondh

25 Apr 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
25 Apr 2020
This sounds really wide, perceivable as huge, almost cinematic dynamic range. The first half is great immersion, your 3D sound really making an impact! Can't comment on the "sound" aspect, because my own is way weaker. The second half focuses more on melody (2:20+), and I'd like the synth in the guitar range to have more movement and be lighter (as in being either more staccato and/or move around in the dynamic range and take notes more often) or maybe the opposite can work - making it more subtle. Right now to me it sounds a bit too simple and vague, like a melodic placeholder for a vocal, but all of that is just nit-picking and my personal preference. Maybe that's what you were going for. Great piece!
Thanks! That's great feedback! Very much appreciated and good ideas for my next track, especially your comments on the lead synth.
The Sennheiser vst is pretty good - does the 3D thing without dramatically colouring the sound. The rack extension "Revolution" does the binaural positioning well but as great expense to the sound quality. And the Sennheiser vst is free :)
Thanks again!

raymondh

17 Jul 2020

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've made quite a few changes. Replaced the bass section in the second half with something less 'poppy', and replaced the drums, with a simpler more cinematic approach using Soniccharge Microtonic (which I've just bought - wow it's great!). Also added some Synapse Obsession into this too.

MarkTarlton

17 Jul 2020

nice track raymond, could picture this in an epic science fiction trailer. some really nice sounds in there :)

raymondh

17 Jul 2020

MarkTarlton wrote:
17 Jul 2020
nice track raymond, could picture this in an epic science fiction trailer. some really nice sounds in there :)
Thanks Mark :) Appreciate you listening and your feedback!
While I wish Reason had more DAW features, it's such a fun sound designer's playground ay!

cheers :)

• Information