[Psy Trance] The Itching Experience

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Loque

09 Apr 2020

Maybe i heard a bit too much old school Dark Psychedlic Trance the last time and created therefore a lot of sounds and ideas in that direction...

So, this is the result. Some classic sounds to it, some are unheard yet (hopefully). I like the track and sometimes i forget to breath while listening.

Any feedback is welcome.

Enjoy!

Reason12, Win10

teddymcw

09 Apr 2020

That's really nicely produced! I personally love some elements more than others. The beginning is great imho.

Loque

10 Apr 2020

teddymcw wrote:
09 Apr 2020
That's really nicely produced! I personally love some elements more than others. The beginning is great imho.
Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it.
Reason12, Win10

Auryn

10 Apr 2020

I like the non-standard bouncy groove on this one, but I feel there's too much random stuff without a clear "story" or progression. It's a bit like Hux Flux in that regard (which I also never had much enthusiasm for). If I were you I'd start out by writing a core arpeggio or melody, and improvising around that. (obviously I understand that there are a lot of darkpsy/forest tracks out there that also have very limited melodic content, but that is also one reason I find them pretty indistinguishable)
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Loque

11 Apr 2020

Auryn wrote:
10 Apr 2020
I like the non-standard bouncy groove on this one, but I feel there's too much random stuff without a clear "story" or progression. It's a bit like Hux Flux in that regard (which I also never had much enthusiasm for). If I were you I'd start out by writing a core arpeggio or melody, and improvising around that. (obviously I understand that there are a lot of darkpsy/forest tracks out there that also have very limited melodic content, but that is also one reason I find them pretty indistinguishable)
Thanks for the feedback, Auryn. I will invest more time in the composition next time.
Reason12, Win10

Bjørn Felle

11 Apr 2020

i think all it needs is a clear hook. the production is excellent and you’ve captured the drug jam vibe. gives me orbital, basement jaxx and aphex twin vibes. i reckon a couple of lead lines would elevate this to a more complete track but the production on this is sublime, it must have taken you ages

Loque

12 Apr 2020

Bjørn Felle wrote:
11 Apr 2020
i think all it needs is a clear hook. the production is excellent and you’ve captured the drug jam vibe. gives me orbital, basement jaxx and aphex twin vibes. i reckon a couple of lead lines would elevate this to a more complete track but the production on this is sublime, it must have taken you ages
Thanks for the feedback and tips.
Reason12, Win10

Loque

16 Apr 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
16 Apr 2020
Cool. I like it. :thumbs_up:
Thanks. I like it too :puf_wink:
Reason12, Win10

EdwardKiy

16 Apr 2020

Auryn wrote:
10 Apr 2020
If I were you I'd start out by writing a core arpeggio or melody, and improvising around that. (obviously I understand that there are a lot of darkpsy/forest tracks out there that also have very limited melodic content, but that is also one reason I find them pretty indistinguishable)
I only find one thing that doesn't let me get into this completely - the synth entering @ 0:46 seems a bit dissonant to the rest of the piece. Possibly what Auryn heard here as well. The solutions are indeed to either plot around a melody or a motif to begin with and/or to align things as you go, which is harder, because you become more biased as you invest more time.

Other than that one omission, this is a superb, complete trip.

orthodox
RE Developer

16 Apr 2020

It seemed to me that the synth at 0:46 was rather too melodic and coherent, so that it created its own center of attraction. I would make it more atonal within itself.

Loque

16 Apr 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
16 Apr 2020
Auryn wrote:
10 Apr 2020
If I were you I'd start out by writing a core arpeggio or melody, and improvising around that. (obviously I understand that there are a lot of darkpsy/forest tracks out there that also have very limited melodic content, but that is also one reason I find them pretty indistinguishable)
I only find one thing that doesn't let me get into this completely - the synth entering @ 0:46 seems a bit dissonant to the rest of the piece. Possibly what Auryn heard here as well. The solutions are indeed to either plot around a melody or a motif to begin with and/or to align things as you go, which is harder, because you become more biased as you invest more time.

Other than that one omission, this is a superb, complete trip.
Interesting opinion. Idd it is "dissonant", well, maybe not in kind of "tune". It some randomly modulations on it, which may change the timbre quite drastically and also some FM, which is probably not "tuned". Well, i wanted it that way, some kind of "out of the normal, short, percussive plucky thingy".

And now the opposite? Taste...
orthodox wrote:
16 Apr 2020
It seemed to me that the synth at 0:46 was rather too melodic and coherent, so that it created its own center of attraction. I would make it more atonal within itself.

After reading a few comments here about the melodies, i might try the next thing more in the GOA direction, which has often more melody parts. We will see what happens :-D ... or i pull out some stems, patches or lanes and see what the ppl will come up with :o

Nevertheless, thanks for the feedback.
Reason12, Win10

teddymcw

16 Apr 2020

Loque wrote:
10 Apr 2020
teddymcw wrote:
09 Apr 2020
Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it.
Btw, thoroughly enjoyed the track itself! My terse comment didn't really imply that heavily. It's also great ime to hear such quality and cool production as a fellow reason user bc it's easier to visualize everything. The part I didn't love was the mostly ascending arp just fyi but that's a prob more of an individual taste thing. Thank you for creating and sharing great stuff!

• Information