(Pop) My New All Reason 11 Song

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Nos402

07 Apr 2020

"Someday I'll Stop Dreaming Of You"

From a spark in my brain to finished song: 13 hours.

I had some dreams last night. I woke up at one point this morning and the idea and chorus for this song were in my head. I was still tired and wanted to go back to sleep, but I couldn’t. And this song kept nagging at me to give it life. So I got up and fired up my studio. I knew this was going to be different from anything else I’d ever done. I knew it was going to be all synthesizers when I’m mostly an organic guitar-driven guy. I knew the exact vibe and atmosphere I wanted. I also knew I was going to write it in a way that I’d never written before: as I went along. Just tinkering with sounds and parts.

So, where to start when you have many different synths, each with hundreds if not thousands of sounds? I did a search for every sound that had “Dream” in the title. Then I started going through them all and finding ones that I thought might work for what I was going for. I ended up with about 20+ tracks of synths ready to be used. I started piecing it all together part by part. After about 10 or 11 hours, the music was done and I had a verse and a chorus of lyrics. I took a walk at around midnight and finished another two verses. I got back home and finished the last of the lyrics, thinking I would record vocals tomorrow.

Then I realized that I was going for a very soft vocal style on this song, so despite sleeping roommate’s and roommate’s child, I decided it couldn’t wait. I recorded all the vocals, did a few overdubs and edits, and here we are. Approximately 13 hours from when the muse kissed me, her gift is done. A song completely unlike anything I’ve ever written or recorded before. Everything but the vocals was done with Reason 11 in Reaper.

Some of the identifiable (to me) influential ingredients in this musical casserole:
  • Billie Eilish
  • David Bowie
  • St. Vincent
  • Pink Floyd
  • Jellyfish
  • Cars
  • Annie Lennox
  • Adele
A list of (most of) the synth sounds used (all the “dream”-based sounds):
  • Analog Dreams
  • Dream Sands
  • Ethereal Dreams
  • Galadriel’s Dream
  • Alan Turing’s Dream
  • Dreampark
  • Wavetable Dreams
  • Porpoise Dreams
  • Spock’s Dream
  • Start Your Dream
  • Acoustic Dream
  • Toy Dream
  • Dream Central
  • Soft And Dreamy
  • Dreamsong
Last edited by Nos402 on 08 Apr 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Dabbler

08 Apr 2020

def hear the bowie influence. nice job

EdwardKiy

08 Apr 2020

This isn't finished. The muse has gifted you profusely this time around, buddy, but don't think she will ever give you the whole thing :) You've got the real thing, but it still needs polishing. When the vocal is solo and clean, it doesn't quite carry the rest of the tune. Either make the vocal thicker or add weight elsewhere. Also, might want to replace "brain" with "mind" etc. Big Bowie fan here too.
Rock on!

And it reminded me of this. Check out how they doubled up the vocals in key parts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJeWySiuq1I

Nos402

08 Apr 2020

HA! Funny you should link to that song as I had another friend link me the same song saying it reminded of of that!
EdwardKiy wrote:
08 Apr 2020
This isn't finished. The muse has gifted you profusely this time around, buddy, but don't think she will ever give you the whole thing :) You've got the real thing, but it still needs polishing. When the vocal is solo and clean, it doesn't quite carry the rest of the tune. Either make the vocal thicker or add weight elsewhere. Also, might want to replace "brain" with "mind" etc. Big Bowie fan here too.
Rock on!

And it reminded me of this. Check out how they doubled up the vocals in key parts
Last edited by Nos402 on 08 Apr 2020, edited 1 time in total.

EdwardKiy

08 Apr 2020

Nos402 wrote:
08 Apr 2020
HA! Funny you should link tot hat song as I had another friend link me the same song saying it reminded of of that!
Cheers :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nos402

11 Apr 2020

Damn you (in the best way possible). This idea wouldn't leave me alone so I ended up putting some Abbey Road ADT on select parts of the second verse and re-uploading it and pulling it out of stores and re-submitting the new version. :)
EdwardKiy wrote:
08 Apr 2020
Rock on!

EdwardKiy

12 Apr 2020

Nos402 wrote:
11 Apr 2020
Damn you (in the best way possible). This idea wouldn't leave me alone so I ended up putting some Abbey Road ADT on select parts of the second verse and re-uploading it and pulling it out of stores and re-submitting the new version. :)
You're welcome! Worth it, I think.

• Information