[Kyiv Pop/Rock] Blissful is he (Cчастлив Он)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
User avatar
EdwardKiy
Posts: 163
Joined: 02 Oct 2019

Post 22 Mar 2020

This is 1 of the 2 tracks for my 90 days challenge. The goal was to make 2 "professional-sounding" pieces in "opposite" genres.

I am in love with the software so far and I wish I could produce on Reason start to finish, but halfway through the project, the sequencer choked on %!"^$& £$"£ and died, so I had to ask a friend to help me transfer this to Live's sequencer. He's a pro bass player, and he also wrote the bass line for me. Funnily enough, he did it with Reason Bass Guitar rig, having never used Reason before (his actual bass is quarantined in another city).

I would appreciate some feedback as to how to make this more "professional-sounding". No need to hold back or being nice - that I really don't care about.

Thanks!

novice Reason user
https://youtu.be/-fANF2eX9JU

jamesa
Posts: 19
Joined: 30 Nov 2019

Post 24 Mar 2020

Хорошо / Добре / Great :-)

The song has a real vibe to it. The arrangement is very creative. It sounds "Kyivan" somehow even though I've never been there. I don't really have any recommendations on making it sound more pro as your production skills are way beyond mine. I can only encourage you to keep making and sharing your music.

aeox
Posts: 2647
Joined: 23 Feb 2017

Post 24 Mar 2020

I think it's really good. Soild mix! The vocals aren't working for me but that's my personal taste. I'd love to hear an instrumental.

That bass is awesome

User avatar
EdwardKiy
Posts: 163
Joined: 02 Oct 2019

Post 25 Mar 2020

jamesa wrote:
24 Mar 2020
Хорошо / Добре / Great :-)

The song has a real vibe to it. The arrangement is very creative. It sounds "Kyivan" somehow even though I've never been there. I don't really have any recommendations on making it sound more pro as your production skills are way beyond mine. I can only encourage you to keep making and sharing your music.
Thank you, that's very encouraging :D And a generous muse to you!
novice Reason user
https://youtu.be/-fANF2eX9JU

User avatar
EdwardKiy
Posts: 163
Joined: 02 Oct 2019

Post 25 Mar 2020

aeox wrote:
24 Mar 2020
I think it's really good. Soild mix! The vocals aren't working for me but that's my personal taste. I'd love to hear an instrumental.

That bass is awesome
Thanks man, really appreciate your input. Will let my friend know about the bass.

You think there's a way to make the vocals palatable, or better leave it at "not your taste"?

Someone told me this could do with percussion ( Duuuh!), so I'm working on that atm. Will post the instrumental once I've figured it out.
novice Reason user
https://youtu.be/-fANF2eX9JU

User avatar
Auryn
Posts: 405
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Location: La Mancha

Post 25 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
22 Mar 2020
This is 1 of the 2 tracks for my 90 days challenge. The goal was to make 2 "professional-sounding" pieces in "opposite" genres.

I am in love with the software so far and I wish I could produce on Reason start to finish, but halfway through the project, the sequencer choked on %!"^$& £$"£ and died, so I had to ask a friend to help me transfer this to Live's sequencer. He's a pro bass player, and he also wrote the bass line for me. Funnily enough, he did it with Reason Bass Guitar rig, having never used Reason before (his actual bass is quarantined in another city).

I would appreciate some feedback as to how to make this more "professional-sounding". No need to hold back or being nice - that I really don't care about.
So let's see, it all depends on what you mean by "professional-sounding" ... what is your benchmark? Since you're slavic (Russian? Ukraine?) 90% chance it's Depeche Mode or Sisters of Mercy or something up that alley ;)

Anyway I listened to this on my trusty studio headphones and here's some points of attention
- compared to radio-play tracks this track is pretty quiet (i.e. it's not compressed/limited to all hell) so that's an obvious thing you could work on, if you want that
- vocal is probably a little too loud compared to the backing track (I could probably give you more feedback on the backing track mix if the vocal were not as prominent)
- track sounds a bit on the dry side (not a lot of verb/delay going on)
- boxy snare, maybe that's how you like it, but if it's unintentional, try highpassing and if that fails, try a notch around 200-300 hz (check the spectrum analyser)
- there's probably some other sounds that could do with highpassing (vocal? / strings ?) but it's hard to tell. Most radio play tracks, especially EDM, will have a highpass filter on everything but the kick and bass.
- tinny bass sound, the slap is more prominent that the body, maybe try boosting around 80hz?

hope that helps!

I do like the track btw, nice string arrangement. What's it about?
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
eXpandemonium Refill: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/expandemonium

User avatar
EdwardKiy
Posts: 163
Joined: 02 Oct 2019

Post 25 Mar 2020

Auryn wrote:
25 Mar 2020
EdwardKiy wrote:
22 Mar 2020
This is 1 of the 2 tracks for my 90 days challenge. The goal was to make 2 "professional-sounding" pieces in "opposite" genres.

I am in love with the software so far and I wish I could produce on Reason start to finish, but halfway through the project, the sequencer choked on %!"^$& £$"£ and died, so I had to ask a friend to help me transfer this to Live's sequencer. He's a pro bass player, and he also wrote the bass line for me. Funnily enough, he did it with Reason Bass Guitar rig, having never used Reason before (his actual bass is quarantined in another city).

I would appreciate some feedback as to how to make this more "professional-sounding". No need to hold back or being nice - that I really don't care about.
So let's see, it all depends on what you mean by "professional-sounding" ... what is your benchmark? Since you're slavic (Russian? Ukraine?) 90% chance it's Depeche Mode or Sisters of Mercy or something up that alley ;)

Anyway I listened to this on my trusty studio headphones and here's some points of attention
- compared to radio-play tracks this track is pretty quiet (i.e. it's not compressed/limited to all hell) so that's an obvious thing you could work on, if you want that
- vocal is probably a little too loud compared to the backing track (I could probably give you more feedback on the backing track mix if the vocal were not as prominent)
- track sounds a bit on the dry side (not a lot of verb/delay going on)
- boxy snare, maybe that's how you like it, but if it's unintentional, try highpassing and if that fails, try a notch around 200-300 hz (check the spectrum analyser)
- there's probably some other sounds that could do with highpassing (vocal? / strings ?) but it's hard to tell. Most radio play tracks, especially EDM, will have a highpass filter on everything but the kick and bass.
- tinny bass sound, the slap is more prominent that the body, maybe try boosting around 80hz?

hope that helps!

I do like the track btw, nice string arrangement. What's it about?
This is gold, thank you! I'll get to work on the things you've mentioned.
High-passed the hell out of the vocal to a point where someone told me it's lacking testosterone :roll:

The lyrics go something like this:

who are you, dear - all for one?
or one for all, by the zeroes multiplied?
passing days, fleeting nights
shouting "(you'll) be gone soon"
as hard as they can

here's freedom - what to do with it?
truths are hidden under beds

inner voice gave (me) advice in profanities
to waste my life delightfully
on you, just on you
rudely, gently, lovingly

your light will blind the sighted sage
finally, he will become a boy!

poke a stick in the ground
(he) will not understand a thing
blissful is he, now he's blissful
blissful is he, now he's blissful
novice Reason user
https://youtu.be/-fANF2eX9JU

FHtH
Posts: 46
Joined: 21 Jul 2016

Post 25 Mar 2020

Very nice.

User avatar
EdwardKiy
Posts: 163
Joined: 02 Oct 2019

Post 25 Mar 2020

FHtH wrote:
25 Mar 2020
Very nice.
Thank you!
novice Reason user
https://youtu.be/-fANF2eX9JU

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1817
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 25 Mar 2020

the mix sounds pretty good. I don’t mind how dry everything sounds, personally. I agree the vocals are a bit distracting, both being a bit loud, and also, being a little “pitchy”. spending a little time in the pitch editor should solidify that nicely. I dig the (translated) lyrics.

musically, it’s a solid track. 👍🏼

the bass is hit and miss for me. I agree with an earlier comment that the slap bass is a little thin for my tastes—it’s mostly tasteful, but in a couple of sections it seems like it’s being fancy for the sake of being fancy.

it sounds like there might be a second bass holding down more of the low end in spots? I like that kind of thing (musical interplay is one of the most interesting things to explore, I think). hard to give good advice on the basses here, since I don’t know what you’re really going for. if it was my song, I’d probably firm up the low end on the slap bass, and simplify it—sort of combining the two sets of basslines so you have one bass that’s holding down the low end, and also popping through with some of those cool funk fills where appropriate. or you could lean into the fact that they’re different and maybe work on the interplay between the two; in that case, I’d still simplify the slap bass, but would probably add a little bit more movement in the lower-register bass.

or maybe I’m mishearing that, and there is no second bass. 😅

either way, good track!

aeox
Posts: 2647
Joined: 23 Feb 2017

Post 25 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
25 Mar 2020
aeox wrote:
24 Mar 2020
I think it's really good. Soild mix! The vocals aren't working for me but that's my personal taste. I'd love to hear an instrumental.

That bass is awesome
Thanks man, really appreciate your input. Will let my friend know about the bass.

You think there's a way to make the vocals palatable, or better leave it at "not your taste"?

Someone told me this could do with percussion ( Duuuh!), so I'm working on that atm. Will post the instrumental once I've figured it out.

I'm thinking that without the vocals, you could make everything else louder in the mix while maintaining good dynamic range. And let the instruments shine more overall.

With vocal, as mentioned already it's a bit loud and needs some pitch correction. To make it "palatable" to me could be different than the next person. So my opinion doesn't really hold any weight.

Also if you omit the vocal you have lots of room for percussion and maybe leads, etc. All kinds of stuff you could do.

User avatar
gullum
Posts: 676
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Faroe Islands

Post 25 Mar 2020

Nice idea and I really like the idea of this to me coffee shop at the corner of the street feel. The vocals don't work for me mostly.
The background vocal are out of tune with the main vocal, that again is out of tune with the instruments in places. The Best advice I can give if to pitch correct the vocals or do as I would do, get someone else to sing.

User avatar
EdwardKiy
Posts: 163
Joined: 02 Oct 2019

Post 25 Mar 2020

guitfnky wrote:
25 Mar 2020
the mix sounds pretty good. I don’t mind how dry everything sounds, personally. I agree the vocals are a bit distracting, both being a bit loud, and also, being a little “pitchy”. spending a little time in the pitch editor should solidify that nicely. I dig the (translated) lyrics.

musically, it’s a solid track. 👍🏼

the bass is hit and miss for me. I agree with an earlier comment that the slap bass is a little thin for my tastes—it’s mostly tasteful, but in a couple of sections it seems like it’s being fancy for the sake of being fancy.

it sounds like there might be a second bass holding down more of the low end in spots? I like that kind of thing (musical interplay is one of the most interesting things to explore, I think). hard to give good advice on the basses here, since I don’t know what you’re really going for. if it was my song, I’d probably firm up the low end on the slap bass, and simplify it—sort of combining the two sets of basslines so you have one bass that’s holding down the low end, and also popping through with some of those cool funk fills where appropriate. or you could lean into the fact that they’re different and maybe work on the interplay between the two; in that case, I’d still simplify the slap bass, but would probably add a little bit more movement in the lower-register bass.

or maybe I’m mishearing that, and there is no second bass. 😅

either way, good track!
Clean up the bass line, body to the slap and/or movement in the bass synth, got it! Thanks, much appreciated!
novice Reason user
https://youtu.be/-fANF2eX9JU

User avatar
EdwardKiy
Posts: 163
Joined: 02 Oct 2019

Post 25 Mar 2020

aeox wrote:
25 Mar 2020

I'm thinking that without the vocals, you could make everything else louder in the mix while maintaining good dynamic range. And let the instruments shine more overall.

With vocal, as mentioned already it's a bit loud and needs some pitch correction. To make it "palatable" to me could be different than the next person. So my opinion doesn't really hold any weight.

Also if you omit the vocal you have lots of room for percussion and maybe leads, etc. All kinds of stuff you could do.
Mix down the vocals when they are not shit. Gotcha! Thanks!
novice Reason user
https://youtu.be/-fANF2eX9JU

User avatar
EdwardKiy
Posts: 163
Joined: 02 Oct 2019

Post 25 Mar 2020

gullum wrote:
25 Mar 2020
Nice idea and I really like the idea of this to me coffee shop at the corner of the street feel. The vocals don't work for me mostly.
The background vocal are out of tune with the main vocal, that again is out of tune with the instruments in places. The Best advice I can give if to pitch correct the vocals or do as I would do, get someone else to sing.
Had doubts about the echo myself, but after the soundcloud compression it became even more prominent (or maybe I got more critical after uploading) and now I can barely listen to it myself. This was my second take on vocals and coincidentally the second time ever I was singing into a microphone, so I might give myself another chance. I tried fiddling with pitch correction, but all I got was a flat unison, so I'll have to re-record some parts or even all of it. I realize my voice is really sub-par, but I'd rather try to improve and mend it, rather than have a pro who's emotionally detached do it for me. But if I don't improve quickly, I'll pay a pro. Thanks!
novice Reason user
https://youtu.be/-fANF2eX9JU

User avatar
EdwardKiy
Posts: 163
Joined: 02 Oct 2019

Post 25 Mar 2020

Thank you guys, wasn't expecting so much useful feedback! Truly!
novice Reason user
https://youtu.be/-fANF2eX9JU

jamesa
Posts: 19
Joined: 30 Nov 2019

Post 25 Mar 2020

I actually like the vocals. It could be a cultural thing - although born in Canada I have a partial Slavic background and I'm familiar with Eastern European music and genres. They work for me as they are. The song is a really interesting fusion of styles and genres.

User avatar
Auryn
Posts: 405
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Location: La Mancha

Post 25 Mar 2020

guitfnky wrote:
25 Mar 2020
it sounds like there might be a second bass holding down more of the low end in spots? I like that kind of thing (musical interplay is one of the most interesting things to explore, I think). hard to give good advice on the basses here, since I don’t know what you’re really going for. if it was my song, I’d probably firm up the low end on the slap bass, and simplify it—sort of combining the two sets of basslines so you have one bass that’s holding down the low end, and also popping through with some of those cool funk fills where appropriate. or you could lean into the fact that they’re different and maybe work on the interplay between the two; in that case, I’d still simplify the slap bass, but would probably add a little bit more movement in the lower-register bass.

or maybe I’m mishearing that, and there is no second bass. 😅
See, this was what was bothering me too, is there another synth down there muddying up the bass? Couldn't quite tell.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
eXpandemonium Refill: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/expandemonium

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests