[MAINROOM] MAKE THIS TIME (Gmin - 124bpm)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
danc
Posts: 483
Joined: 14 Oct 2016

Post 22 Mar 2020



Bass/Arp - Vengeance Avenger
Pads/Lead - UVI Vintage Vault 3
Drums - Tons of single hit samples... took ages to get right.
Guitar riff - run through UVI Relayer... Polyverse Gatekeeper... Audiothing Valves etc.

Extensive use of Trackspacer and Smart:Comp to give everything space.

I was inspired to make this track after reading Sound On Sound magazines interview with Tony Maserati who explained in depth about subtractive EQ to give everything an easy place to sit in the mix and not burn too hot - I love his suggestions - allowing you to add absolutely loads of track layers to give serious power.

Hope you enjoy - haven't done a MAINROOM for like ever ago. Kind of enjoy it.
Creating, producing and mastering music in Reason 11 and Studio One 4.5 (WIndows).


User avatar
EdwardKiy
Posts: 279
Joined: 02 Oct 2019

Post 23 Mar 2020

Mainroom seems like a step back for you, no? This is pretty much as good as it gets for the genre (which I loathe). Solid work. Beatport'able, I think. And thanks for the article tip.

danc
Posts: 483
Joined: 14 Oct 2016

Post 23 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
23 Mar 2020
Mainroom seems like a step back for you, no? This is pretty much as good as it gets for the genre (which I loathe). Solid work. Beatport'able, I think. And thanks for the article tip.
Thanks for thoughts...

Regarding trying out a MAINROOM track...
I try and experiment with all types of electronic genre's - irrespective of what is popular or not at the moment. Mainly because I am on a quest to learn and get better at what I do. I learnt one thing ages ago... production skills are easily transferable from one genre to the next. Our skills can get stale if you stick to only one genre. Spread it out and pick the best ideas from anywhere.
Creating, producing and mastering music in Reason 11 and Studio One 4.5 (WIndows).


User avatar
EdwardKiy
Posts: 279
Joined: 02 Oct 2019

Post 23 Mar 2020

oh no, I completely agree on the needed diversity and pushing yourself out of the comfort zone. I just posted a track for a 90 day challenge myself (cough), the goal of which was to get 2 tracks of the "opposite" genres right. What I meant was, that i had a listen of your other works and some of them make this one sound like playtime in the sandbox. Because (to me) this is sandbox music and due to your current skill level you aced it. Hard to imagine this was a challenge to you in any way, shape or form. Please take it as a complement.

danc
Posts: 483
Joined: 14 Oct 2016

Post 23 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
23 Mar 2020
oh no, I completely agree on the needed diversity and pushing yourself out of the comfort zone. I just posted a track for a 90 day challenge myself (cough), the goal of which was to get 2 tracks of the "opposite" genres right. What I meant was, that i had a listen of your other works and some of them make this one sound like playtime in the sandbox. Because (to me) this is sandbox music and due to your current skill level you aced it. Hard to imagine this was a challenge to you in any way, shape or form. Please take it as a complement.
Taken as a compliment.

Regarding the "challenge" bit you mention... one thing I keep challenging myself to do is get more "musical" (get a good tune). My production skills have been improving and improving... yet my music theory skills have been dragging behind. Building something in Mainroom has challenged me to improve me music theory and get the bass/chords/lead to harmonise nicely - using Counterpoint rules.
Creating, producing and mastering music in Reason 11 and Studio One 4.5 (WIndows).


danc
Posts: 483
Joined: 14 Oct 2016

Post 25 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
23 Mar 2020
Mainroom seems like a step back for you, no? This is pretty much as good as it gets for the genre (which I loathe). Solid work. Beatport'able, I think. And thanks for the article tip.
Mr (Mrs?) EdwardKiy .... you like my other stuff... so I guess you'll like this (I hope)



I know I need to do some arrangement cleanup... but it's a first cut.
Creating, producing and mastering music in Reason 11 and Studio One 4.5 (WIndows).


User avatar
EdwardKiy
Posts: 279
Joined: 02 Oct 2019

Post 25 Mar 2020

danc wrote:
25 Mar 2020

Mr (Mrs?) EdwardKiy .... you like my other stuff... so I guess you'll like this (I hope)



I know I need to do some arrangement cleanup... but it's a first cut.
A jaw-clanger. Absolutely love the bottled up rage.

The only bit where my ear asked for more was 2:34, where I'd want a short pause-drop, and then everything back in again, except for the voice sample

This isn't trance, by the way (thank god)

danc
Posts: 483
Joined: 14 Oct 2016

Post 25 Mar 2020

EdwardKiy wrote:
25 Mar 2020
danc wrote:
25 Mar 2020

Mr (Mrs?) EdwardKiy .... you like my other stuff... so I guess you'll like this (I hope)



I know I need to do some arrangement cleanup... but it's a first cut.
A jaw-clanger. Absolutely love the bottled up rage.

The only bit where my ear asked for more was 2:34, where I'd want a short pause-drop, and then everything back in again, except for the voice sample

This isn't trance, by the way (thank god)
THANKS FOR POSITIVE FEEDBACK... Agree it's not TRANCE. I was being a little mad giving that genre. So - what would you say. My mate down the road says it's PROGRESSIVE HOUSE or TECHNO - but def not TRANCE. So... he beat you to it in telling me off!!

And yes - i plan to take this one further and agree it's 2:34 that needs taking places.
Creating, producing and mastering music in Reason 11 and Studio One 4.5 (WIndows).


User avatar
EdwardKiy
Posts: 279
Joined: 02 Oct 2019

Post 25 Mar 2020

danc wrote:
25 Mar 2020

THANKS FOR POSITIVE FEEDBACK... Agree it's not TRANCE. I was being a little mad giving that genre. So - what would you say. My mate down the road says it's PROGRESSIVE HOUSE or TECHNO - but def not TRANCE. So... he beat you to it in telling me off!!

And yes - i plan to take this one further and agree it's 2:34 that needs taking places.
It's techno. The subgenre names are a mess, the lines are too blurred to keep track, so I don't even bother. Deep techno, minimal techno - whatever.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest