(Shoegaze/metal) Sinplex

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Bloma

30 Jan 2020

Another one in my recent series of shoegaze/metal type songs. Used my 7 string for guitars running through some guitar pedals and into Kuassa Creme, Korg Minilogue for bass also running through some pedals, and Kong for drums, layered with some kick and snare samples I made at some point. Lots of Pulverizors, RE-2As and Softube FETs on things.

Would love any mix feedback, or feedback in general. Keep in mind I like the vocals being a bit drowned out. My main concern with these tracks are the drums as they're samples. The other issue I get when submitting my songs to blogs are people don't like my vocals. But to be honest, when I listen to a lot if music that gets posted on hipster blogs, I can't stand the vocals. There's something so pretentious about a lot of popular stuff I hear.

But really my goal with these songs is to get a band together to play live, so these are kind of like demo songs.

RTFX

31 Jan 2020

Hi Bloma. Remember me? ;) Tbh since youve got quite some years of music making under the belt, i think you exactly know what youre doing. In other words. This track is spot on mixed. Radio ready.
Vocals lay good in the mix. No sharpness and good de-essed. Guitars are panned in a good way. Song has good drive. I can tell the drums are sampled but Idgaf. If it sounds good, its just good. And it sounds good! Thats another song for the bank, brother!
All my tracks on my YouTube channel⬇️ https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK0j ... P0EoiuUkNO

Bloma

31 Jan 2020

Hi RTFX, indeed I do, good to hear from you. Thank you so much for saying that, it really means a lot.

teddymcw

31 Jan 2020

Wow ya I think this sounds freakin great! Ok ya the drums do seem programmed but they sound great and provide a great foundation for the rest of the substance. Could more lively drums, esp at certain times bring parts of the track to new levels? Ya probly would be cool but the core of the song is great, well done.

Bloma

31 Jan 2020

Thanks heaps teddy, I might have a go at livening up the drums a bit, add some fills and whatnot. Thanks for the feedback.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

02 Feb 2020

That's some solid music you've got there. I like how the guitars are really high in the mix. It's a brave mixing decision to have them at that volume, but I think it works.
The drums are alright. I'm not sure how much you've worked on them. I usually make little tweaks to try to make my programmed drums a tad more alive sounding. Like making them a little less quantized, just a little. Also sometimes I have an lfo that's changing the pitch slightly up and down on drum samples, mostly on hihats (if it's only one sample played over and over). You're not suppose to notice these things as they are subtle. But making these minor changes here and there can really make a difference for the overall feel of the music.
Of course this is also part of why I love CrapRE. The random pitch wobble effect is really useful for making sterile things come alive and sound more organic. I've used that effect many many times on drums and other things.

Bloma

02 Feb 2020

Thanks Tritone. Honestly I didn't even realise they were louder than usual, haha.

Yeah, I didn't work too much on the actual drum programming, as you can tell. I play them on the keyboard and then quantize them 75%, then add some fills here and there. But I was a bit lazy with them, I used to put a lot more effort into programming them. I'll try that LFO trick.

SynthGang

03 Feb 2020

I honestly wouldn't change a single darned thing! Very solid track all-around! I love the riff that comes in at around 2:30 maybe wish I got a little more of it like that sounds crystalline lol but man amazing work! All the song parts work very well and flow so smoothly!! :reason:

Bloma

03 Feb 2020

Thanks heaps Synthgang! When you say the riff at 2:30, do you mean when it's just guitar playing on it's own? Or maybe you mean the palm muted riff at 2:47.

• Information