(synthwave/soundtrack/electronic) Programmable Reality

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
adfielding

15 Jan 2020

It's been a minute since I posted anything here, so I figured I'd share something I've been working on recently.

When it comes to writing music I always like to try and hit the ground running in January, otherwise I tend to find I can end up in a bit of a productivity funk. Having a project lined up helps a lot in that regard, and I was fortunate to have a musical project that allowed me to get writing straight away.

This tune started life as one of said production tunes, but kind of took on a life of its own and drifted way away from the brief - so I decided to keep going with it and see where it took me. In that regard it was incredibly cathartic to work on as I was using familiar techniques to persue something a little different.

So, here it is! The tune is called Programmable Reality, and I guess if I had to describe it I'd say it's a sort of soundtrack-y/synthwave-y type thing with cinematic-y/IDM-y elements woven in there. But I'm terrible when it comes to genres, so you should probably disregard that.

The whole thing was created using Reason (of course!), and I'd love to know what you think of it!

Zac

15 Jan 2020

It was a pleasure to listen to. Loved the beat programming, the interlude and the way it evolved. Classy track with feeling, congrats

adfielding

15 Jan 2020

Zac wrote:
15 Jan 2020
It was a pleasure to listen to. Loved the beat programming, the interlude and the way it evolved. Classy track with feeling, congrats
Thanks! Glad you liked it :)

Rising Night Wave

15 Jan 2020

I have listened this track. Nice song. But not my fav/like. Okey? Please sorry about that. It's just not the right thing for me. We all are different so this song is just not my type.
I will take a listen of your songs on your SoundCloud profile. I hope I will find something interesting for me.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

Rising Night Wave

15 Jan 2020

I liked:
- Devour (Fur Elise),
- That's Not Me and
- Renew (First Pass).
So you got 3 likes and 3 reposts from me. :D Nice songs.
Other songs are also nice and technically very good but not my type. Sorry bout that.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

adfielding

16 Jan 2020

Rising Night Wave wrote:
15 Jan 2020
I liked:
- Devour (Fur Elise),
- That's Not Me and
- Renew (First Pass).
So you got 3 likes and 3 reposts from me. :D Nice songs.
Other songs are also nice and technically very good but not my type. Sorry bout that.
No need to apologise if any of my music isn't to your taste, that's totally fine :) Thanks so much for giving it a shot, and I'm really glad to hear you liked some of it!

If you like the Renew (First Pass) track then you might be interested to know that I have an entire album of tunes written using the exact same setup over on Bandcamp, including a more complete version of that track. It's available for free here:

Thanks again for listening and for the honest feedback! :D

raymondh

16 Jan 2020

Wow! Great piece of music Adam.

Quite evocative.

Immediately you captured the 'technology' vibe which was presumably your brief. I don't know how you do that. And the chilled out part I really enjoyed listening to.

adfielding

17 Jan 2020

raymondh wrote:
16 Jan 2020
Wow! Great piece of music Adam.

Quite evocative.

Immediately you captured the 'technology' vibe which was presumably your brief. I don't know how you do that. And the chilled out part I really enjoyed listening to.
Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you liked it! :) Most of the tunes I've been working on lately have been around the 2.5 - 3.5 minute mark (partly due to the brief, partly due to the time I'm allotting myself to work on each idea), so it was nice to let this one flow a little more for a change.

Heigen5

18 Jan 2020

Loved it, the drums, especially the snare and kick made it sound really fresh. nice atmosphere on the background - and when the strings came in it was plain beautiful Adam! Nice work!

Micha1973

18 Jan 2020

great sounds! huge track* :thumbs_up:
Music Is My Life
&
Reason 12 sounds better :essentials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsW3Wr ... gA05XklBng

adfielding

20 Jan 2020

Heigen5 wrote:
18 Jan 2020
Loved it, the drums, especially the snare and kick made it sound really fresh. nice atmosphere on the background - and when the strings came in it was plain beautiful Adam! Nice work!
Thanks, really glad you liked it! fwiw the drums are mostly from Wave Alchemy's Drumvolution - the recently released Ableton Live pack includes all the drum samples as separate WAVs (unlike the Kontakt version), so although it's less flexible than the Kontakt version you still get access to the drums at a much reduced price.
Micha1973 wrote:
18 Jan 2020
great sounds! huge track* :thumbs_up:
Cheers! :D

Brosefski

21 Jan 2020

This is a good tune. More chill, complex but also evolving. :thumbs_up:
:reason: :recycle: :re:

adfielding

22 Jan 2020

Brosefski wrote:
21 Jan 2020
This is a good tune. More chill, complex but also evolving. :thumbs_up:
Thanks! Glad you liked it :D

MannequinRaces

22 Jan 2020

Lovely chill track Adam! Very nice!

Chizmata

22 Jan 2020

this track is really on a high level and the composition is a round and complete thing as is. just the sidechain comp is too hefty for me.

adfielding

24 Jan 2020

MannequinRaces wrote:
22 Jan 2020
Lovely chill track Adam! Very nice!
Thanks! :D
Chizmata wrote:
22 Jan 2020
this track is really on a high level and the composition is a round and complete thing as is. just the sidechain comp is too hefty for me.
Cheers! And yeah, you're right, I've been a bit heavy with the SC compression lately - maybe I'll dial that back a little for next time :) Thanks for the feedback!

guitfnky

24 Jan 2020

the thought that strikes me here is, this tune sounds incredibly mature. everything in its place, and all working towards a satisfying end point. really well-done!

I’ve only listened to an odd track here and there of yours, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but do your songs ever feature vocals? I tend to like deep music like this, but for some reason usually want to hear someone singing to it. just to know where else I might start with some more of your stuff. if not, I’ll still take a deeper dive. 😄
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

reddust

24 Jan 2020

nice track, very pleasant to listen to :)

adfielding

24 Jan 2020

guitfnky wrote:
24 Jan 2020
the thought that strikes me here is, this tune sounds incredibly mature. everything in its place, and all working towards a satisfying end point. really well-done!

I’ve only listened to an odd track here and there of yours, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but do your songs ever feature vocals? I tend to like deep music like this, but for some reason usually want to hear someone singing to it. just to know where else I might start with some more of your stuff. if not, I’ll still take a deeper dive. 😄
Thanks, that's very kind of you to say! I do sing from time to time, though it's become much more infrequent these days - that's one thing I actually wanted to address this year actually. The main problem I have now isn't with singing and recording vocals, but writing lyrics - I guess it's like anything else, I haven't done it in so long that those creative muscles are going to take time to come back... but it's infuriating because it used to come so naturally to me. But I'm sure I'll get back to it! If you want to hear a more recent example, I've got a tune on Soundcloud called Falter which features vocals.

My albums Distant Activity and Lightfields also feature a lot of vocal tracks, though I was definitely still finding my voice on DA (which was originally released in 2008). Lightfields is a bit more energetic and organic imo (and also quite a bit more rough around the edges), but you can check those out here if you're interested :)

reddust wrote:
24 Jan 2020
Thanks for the kind words :)

guitfnky

25 Jan 2020

adfielding wrote:
24 Jan 2020
guitfnky wrote:
24 Jan 2020

Thanks, that's very kind of you to say! I do sing from time to time, though it's become much more infrequent these days - that's one thing I actually wanted to address this year actually. The main problem I have now isn't with singing and recording vocals, but writing lyrics - I guess it's like anything else, I haven't done it in so long that those creative muscles are going to take time to come back... but it's infuriating because it used to come so naturally to me. But I'm sure I'll get back to it! If you want to hear a more recent example, I've got a tune on Soundcloud called Falter which features vocals.

My albums Distant Activity and Lightfields also feature a lot of vocal tracks, though I was definitely still finding my voice on DA (which was originally released in 2008). Lightfields is a bit more energetic and organic imo (and also quite a bit more rough around the edges), but you can check those out here if you're interested :)

reddust wrote:
24 Jan 2020
Thanks for the kind words :)
awesome, thanks for the suggestions. I started listening through Lightfields yesterday, and I'm digging what I've heard so far. also, Falter is pretty incredible. you've got a great voice, and (obviously) a great ear. the vocals and production in that one actually remind me not a little of a metal band called Architects. your vocal delivery, and the production in general, sounds very similar to his clean singing, and their less heavy parts. so good.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

adfielding

27 Jan 2020

guitfnky wrote:
25 Jan 2020
awesome, thanks for the suggestions. I started listening through Lightfields yesterday, and I'm digging what I've heard so far. also, Falter is pretty incredible. you've got a great voice, and (obviously) a great ear. the vocals and production in that one actually remind me not a little of a metal band called Architects. your vocal delivery, and the production in general, sounds very similar to his clean singing, and their less heavy parts. so good.
Hey, thanks for checking it out! That's super interesting - Architects are one of those bands I keep meaning to check out (but haven't for some weird reason) despite prog-metal being pretty much my go-to genre whenever I fancy listening to something with a less electronic focus. Needless to say I'll be giving them a proper listen now when I get a chance. Thanks again! :D

rare_shadow
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2020

Great track!

Very good sound design and the mix sounds very airy and dynamic.

adfielding

30 Jan 2020

rare_shadow wrote:
29 Jan 2020
Great track!

Very good sound design and the mix sounds very airy and dynamic.
Thanks, glad you liked it!

• Information