(Country) - Tyler Childers - Feathered Indians

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Popnfrsh24

02 Jan 2020

Hey there,

This guy is like my new favorite artist, so I tried to see if I could get my reason drums on and make a realistic sounding drumset and go from there. It's still a rough draft...the guitar riffs aren't the best, but would be curious to know if you guys have any mixing input on it!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Odakqx ... sp=sharing

I think that this google sharing of a link doesn't work sometimes...so let me know if thats the case!

Thanks

Benedict
Competition Winner

02 Jan 2020

Clearly the long post that I spent a lot of time making was not valued so I will remove it lest any more of my time & help be wasted on those too rude to even acknowledge the time they got given.

:|
Last edited by Benedict on 04 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

teddymcw

03 Jan 2020

Nice one! Childers is a fantastic recent artist, no one better than voicing ache of American heartland in last decade imho.

So for mixing the huge diff is of course Tyler’s band is playing the slide which to my ear occupies the lowest range. You have more stuff dipping lower than his recording, so that key instrumentation diff makes comparing more complex.
His mix in general is significantly lighter and maybe even a little thinner to me as well. Usually more pleasing to the listener for certain types of songs. Your voice and guitar solo is a little louder in the relative mix as well.

The other big subtlety, if you will, is that Tyler is playing just that much more upbeat and swingey. Lastly, of course Tyler uses his beautiful rasp as almost its own instrument, almost too much so for my taste but it gives a completely diff feel to an expression depending on degree, so another element that is almost incomparable to so many other artists, and that to me is a huge reason why Tyler’s stories command unique attention as Benedict alluded to. I think your version is lovely and works for this story tho it def has a fairly diff feel.

Great post and work here, really got something going and very good on ya for challenging yourself! Inspiring in and of itself

Popnfrsh24

03 Jan 2020

teddymcw wrote:
03 Jan 2020
Nice one! Childers is a fantastic recent artist, no one better than voicing ache of American heartland in last decade imho.

So for mixing the huge diff is of course Tyler’s band is playing the slide which to my ear occupies the lowest range. You have more stuff dipping lower than his recording, so that key instrumentation diff makes comparing more complex.
His mix in general is significantly lighter and maybe even a little thinner to me as well. Usually more pleasing to the listener for certain types of songs. Your voice and guitar solo is a little louder in the relative mix as well.

The other big subtlety, if you will, is that Tyler is playing just that much more upbeat and swingey. Lastly, of course Tyler uses his beautiful rasp as almost its own instrument, almost too much so for my taste but it gives a completely diff feel to an expression depending on degree, so another element that is almost incomparable to so many other artists, and that to me is a huge reason why Tyler’s stories command unique attention as Benedict alluded to. I think your version is lovely and works for this story tho it def has a fairly diff feel.

Great post and work here, really got something going and very good on ya for challenging yourself! Inspiring in and of itself
thank you sir!

Wee Joe

04 Jan 2020

Popnfrsh24 wrote:
03 Jan 2020
teddymcw wrote:
03 Jan 2020

thank you sir!
I Agree with everything "teddymcw" said, but also i think your vocal style is excellent more akin to the "Milk Carton Kids" and less twangy...Great Work
Wee Joe.

Popnfrsh24

04 Jan 2020

Wee Joe wrote:
04 Jan 2020
Popnfrsh24 wrote:
03 Jan 2020

thank you sir!
I Agree with everything "teddymcw" said, but also i think your vocal style is excellent more akin to the "Milk Carton Kids" and less twangy...Great Work
Wee Joe.
Thanks guys...so when you say "dipping lower"...if I wanted to get it to sound more like his...would I just EQ off more low end on all the instruments? Or even EQ off the low in the master section?

teddymcw

04 Jan 2020

Popnfrsh24 wrote:
04 Jan 2020
Wee Joe wrote:
04 Jan 2020

Wee Joe.
Thanks guys...so when you say "dipping lower"...if I wanted to get it to sound more like his...would I just EQ off more low end on all the instruments? Or even EQ off the low in the master section?
I would think that could be helpful in practice. I'm personally decent at hearing and knowing what I would do but such an amateur at properly executing, I usually tie myself in ugly knots. Maybe we can ping Benedict back in for this much more direct question. I feel like there was a bit of miscommunication going on there creating a void.

To get closer to Tyler's mix I'd def start by turning your bass down, then prob adjusting the compression ratios on all your instruments, starting with bass again.

Interesting I didn't a listening comparison again but with headphones this time rather than the cheaper end speakers I was using before.
I only realized with headphones that you do have a nice slide in there but not until 1:09 or so, whereas Tyler features it to my ear.

Again, I might think to use the slide as the lowest 'instrument,' and then mix above that. The bass guitar to me is really acting as much as a very soft rhythm keeping kick in this style as anything. Also Tyler's mix is noticeably much more compressed with each instrument, maybe sans vocal and certainly in general. That's a deliberate decision of course, and one that very much takes Tyler's rasp into account again imho.

So ya, working EQ and compression should get that desired effect to begin with, I believe. Love talking about this bc it helps learning and future doing so much beyond the fun of getting inside the song and music itself.

Popnfrsh24

06 Jan 2020

Benedict wrote:
02 Jan 2020
Clearly the long post that I spent a lot of time making was not valued so I will remove it lest any more of my time & help be wasted on those too rude to even acknowledge the time they got given.

:|
sorry dude. didn't know you would get so hurt if I didn't respond to you directly. I know that tyler childers song is fairly simple and its more about feeling...but I just wanted to know what to do with my mix.

Proboscis

06 Jan 2020

Popnfrsh24 wrote:
06 Jan 2020
sorry dude. didn't know you would get so hurt if I didn't respond to you directly. I know that tyler childers song is fairly simple and its more about feeling...but I just wanted to know what to do with my mix.
TRIGGER WORD ! :lol:

Benedict
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2020

Yes, Trigger word ;-) But I'll let that go.

Overall sadly this says to me that you only wanted what you wanted regardless of a) what was offered and b) if it was actually the answer you really needed.

You can make the best mix in the world but if something is missing, the mix is pointless. I get you want to hear what you want to hear but that is going to be your undoing as without doing something different you will never be able to do something different, let alone something amazing.

If I thought you were not worth anything, I would have said nothing. That I gave my time, attention, and advice meant that clearly I thought that you could step up and become something. Ignoring that was not kind to either of us.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh

teddymcw

07 Jan 2020

Benedict wrote:
06 Jan 2020

To be fair tho, this is a cover song, the artistry and story are taken care of in that matter. The OP was asking about mixing and when that was addressed it was politely responded. I wish too that the OP had then redirected to a specific mixing question but I believe this is a simple misunderstanding / miscommunication that had no sour notes to begin with and we all could do a bit better to build that positivity when a brick that is laid is a little unstable or misunderstood for the next bricklayer to build upon.

Cheers to all. Let’s write a smashing song about these funny little human mishaps to make sense and channel our limbic systems back into harmony :)

Benedict
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2020

teddymcw wrote:
07 Jan 2020
To be fair tho, this is a cover song, the artistry and story are taken care of in that matter.
As an academic point (so no-one takes this personal) I don't agree that seeing someone else wrote the song that the performer has no responsibility for Story. The performer is the very person who delivers the Story through Artistry.

That or every bit of drunken Wii Karaoke would be as good as The Beatles (who I alwasy found a tad overrated but a solid enough bench seeing their material is hard to cover well).

When covering a song, the performer has to put all the same magic that the original had - only unique to themsleves - or it is Karaoke or a photocopy.

1. There are cases of people doing covers that don't stand against the original.
2. There are cases of people doing covers that people say are better than the original (only becasue they don't know or understand the original).
3. There are cases of covers that are pleasing but don't really bring much different to the material. And then
4. There are those covers that are just wonderful, let you see the song in a new light, without doing any damage to the original.

Those latter are the Great ones. Shouldn't we always be looking to be #4 or at least #3? #2 might make a few coins. #1 is a vanity but even there it can't really be a real win when you know it isn't all you could be? This latter is waht I hoped to drive the OP to (and everyone else I deal with).

Benedict Roff-Marsh

teddymcw

08 Jan 2020

Benedict wrote:
07 Jan 2020
teddymcw wrote:
07 Jan 2020
To be fair tho, this is a cover song, the artistry and story are taken care of in that matter.
That or every bit of drunken Wii Karaoke would be as good as The Beatles (who I alwasy found a tad overrated but a solid enough bench seeing their material is hard to cover well).

4. There are those covers that are just wonderful, let you see the song in a new light, without doing any damage to the original.

Those latter are the Great ones. Shouldn't we always be looking to be #4 or at least #3? #2 might make a few coins. #1 is a vanity but even there it can't really be a real win when you know it isn't all you could be? This latter is waht I hoped to drive the OP to (and everyone else I deal with).

Hahah, the Wii karoake example drives this point home magically!!

Yes this is a great paradigm to view covers and strive to color them your own way as an artist. I don’t think I’ve ever quite considered this in such an apparent way and this’ll very much enlighten and color future endeavors.

Popnfrsh24

10 Jan 2020

uhhh lol my post is sparking up some CONTROVERSY OVER HERE!

Hey you know the nugget i got out of your original post....to upload via soundcloud and not google drive!!!! Will do next time!

Benedict
Competition Winner

10 Jan 2020

Popnfrsh24 wrote:
10 Jan 2020
Hey you know the nugget i got out of your original post....to upload via soundcloud and not google drive!!!! Will do next time!
Well that's something.
(still rather dismissive of everything else I said but hey, that you acknowledge I said anything useful at all is nicer than where we were before)

Benedict Roff-Marsh

• Information