(Guitar Instrumental) - Amplify

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Lowas

18 Aug 2019

I'm having some fun with my guitar :)
One of many guitar tracks I'm working on
[soundcloud][/soundcloud]

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2019

Sounds good. Great playing.
If I had one criticism it's that the main guitar feels pushed back in the mix. It's not so much because of low volume as it is the tone of it. It has a very roomy sound which pushes it back in the mix. All the other instruments are more up front (less reverb/room). Hope that makes sense.

Lowas

18 Aug 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Aug 2019
If I had one criticism it's that the main guitar feels pushed back in the mix. It's not so much because of low volume as it is the tone of it. It has a very roomy sound which pushes it back in the mix. All the other instruments are more up front (less reverb/room). Hope that makes sense.
Thank you for listening and your critism is correct, I'm not sure how to solve it yet though without loosing a "warm" tone

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2019

Lowas wrote:
18 Aug 2019
TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Aug 2019
Thank you for listening and your critism is correct, I'm not sure how to solve it yet though without loosing a "warm" tone
Just experiment away. I'm not really a great mixer. I'm ok at it when it comes to my own music. But I rarely record live instruments.
Maybe try putting the lead guitar in mono and the add a tiny bit of reverb. As it is now the lead is so spread out to the sides all over the stereo field. That can push it back in the mix.
Try putting the lead in center. Just completely take away all the width of all that room and turn the recording to mono.
And then you can try to pan the background guitar to the side instead (just pick one side).
Maybe try to pan the hihat to the opposite side just to get some stereo width.
I don't know, it could be a complete failure, but try it.

Sometimes recording things in stereo just creates a huge mess when it's time to mix.

Lowas

19 Aug 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Aug 2019
Lowas wrote:
18 Aug 2019

Just experiment away. I'm not really a great mixer. I'm ok at it when it comes to my own music. But I rarely record live instruments.
Maybe try putting the lead guitar in mono and the add a tiny bit of reverb. As it is now the lead is so spread out to the sides all over the stereo field. That can push it back in the mix.
Try putting the lead in center. Just completely take away all the width of all that room and turn the recording to mono.
And then you can try to pan the background guitar to the side instead (just pick one side).

Sometimes recording things in stereo just creates a huge mess when it's time to mix.
Thank you for your help I might solve the issue, I do want some width on the lead though, but just not too much

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2019

Lowas wrote:
19 Aug 2019
TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Aug 2019

Thank you for your help I might solve the issue, I do want some width on the lead though, but just not too much
You can always try to put some subtle stereo delay on it. That way you'll get the best of both worlds. A strong focused lead in the center but still with some width.
Putting some subtle reverb as a send effect (after you've turned the lead to complete mono) could also work as an alternative to get some width. I often do this myself.

Mixing is a tricky thing. Sometimes you have to sacrifice what sounds best when listening to just one instrument by itself, in order for things to work in the actual mix.
But listen to a lot of recordings of guitar based music (at least rock and metal) and you'll notice the guitars are mostly either mono in the center, panned to the left or panned to the right.

For me even though I make mostly electronic music nowadays I still borrow ideas from other genres.
Personally I like to put the most important things in the mix in the center (mono), meaning all the main leads and solos. And have all the other less elements pushed to the sides.
I'll show you with one of my tracks where this method is utilized without exception.

Best thing is probably to try out as many things as possible. Even if one particular idea/tip won't work for this track it might be useful in another.

gullum

19 Aug 2019

really nice playing and with a little fixing it can be much better. to me, it sounds like the instruments are in 3 different rooms and sound like the drums sound like they are in the room you record in the bass in the backroom and guitar is in the bathroom or a tunnel.
try listening to it again without reverb and delay on the guitar, now I'm sure it will sound more like all are in the same room then add reverb to guitar but just so you only notice it and now the mix should already sound much better

Lowas

20 Aug 2019

Thank you both of you, I will experiment a little with it and see how it goes :)

TheGodOfRainbows

23 Aug 2019

Great jam, and awesome playing! I do agree with the others about the guitar behind a bit to far or behind the mix, but I still like the sound. Makes it sound like a live bootleg recording that's recorded from the back of the room. Sonically interesting, but I too would do some of what Tritone said about leads being in the center and maybe mono, and maybe a bit less reverb. Either way, great track. Well done.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Aug 2019

Is that a Korean Epiphone Sheraton in your profile pic or is it the real deal? :). Think I recognize the pickups.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

bitley

24 Aug 2019

Awesome guitar playing. The drums are a little bit unconnected to the rest somehow.

Noplan
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2019

Nice. Good licks and ways of playing.

Noplan
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2019

bitley wrote:
24 Aug 2019
Awesome guitar playing. The drums are a little bit unconnected to the rest somehow.
Yep they are too clean and the kick punches too much. the drums must have bigger room according to the lead guitar.

Lowas

25 Aug 2019

Thanks a lot everyone!
The guitar is a Epiphone Sheraton II Pro and probably made in Korea or China to my knowledge.

• Information