Earth Creature (experimental)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
stratatonic

04 Apr 2019

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
23 Mar 2019

I welcome all comments and criticisms. What's the strongest song, and the weakest song(s)? How is the mix?

This is great! Mix sounds good. Great production Love all the textures and eastern elements.
Some of it reminds me of Dead Can Dance - Indus.

I'm shocked that you could get so much out of HKP. You did a great job on teasing out great sounds wilth various FX.
You got the most out of Humana that I've ever heard. Sounds not bad at all. Personally I thought the main vox in Earth Creatures was a bit up front and could have used a touch more reverb. but that's just me.

Favourites would be Helix Seed. Very cool. 2120 - a little bit frantic and heavier. That guitar-like sound you got out of HKP? I'm shocked. o_O!!

Nicely done!

Auryn

04 Apr 2019

Very musical stuff here, you obviously have talent for writing intricate melodic arrangements. The closest point of musical reference for me would be something post-rock like Tortoise. The biggest gripe I have while listening is that the sampled sounds you've limited yourself to don't really have the same expressiveness as a live performance would have had, which leads to the tracks sounding a bit "flat" for me. I could imagine that the same arrangements, but with some more varied & expressive sound/instrument choices (instead of the constantly returning "aaahhh" choirs) would be more compelling for me to listen to. Oh and the rhythm section in most tracks could use a bit more oomph, IMHO. But in terms of writing this is excellent, kept me entertained/interested throughout.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

modecca

05 Apr 2019

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
23 Mar 2019

On the title track "Earth Creature", I used my own multi-sampled Pyrex bowls. The heartbeat heard in Earth Creature, Thriving Ecosystem, and Dreams Embryonic (as well as blended here and there on other tracks) is my own heartbeat using the Pocket-Dop: a handheld vascular Doppler that provides rapid, accurate localization and assessment of arterial and venous blood flow.

chill, chillout, experimental, acoustic, electroacoustic,
🔗💥

TheGodOfRainbows

06 Apr 2019

stratatonic wrote:
04 Apr 2019
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
23 Mar 2019
I welcome all comments and criticisms. What's the strongest song, and the weakest song(s)? How is the mix?
This is great! Mix sounds good. Great production Love all the textures and eastern elements.
Some of it reminds me of Dead Can Dance - Indus.

I'm shocked that you could get so much out of HKP. You did a great job on teasing out great sounds wilth various FX.
You got the most out of Humana that I've ever heard. Sounds not bad at all. Personally I thought the main vox in Earth Creatures was a bit up front and could have used a touch more reverb. but that's just me.

Favourites would be Helix Seed. Very cool. 2120 - a little bit frantic and heavier. That guitar-like sound you got out of HKP? I'm shocked. o_O!!

Nicely done!
Thank you! I love *listening for the first time* to Dead Can Dance - Indus, great recommendation!!! I wish I was listening to this while writing my stuff. I can learn so much just from that one track alone.

I'm glad you are pointing out the vox in Earth Creature. I do agree that they are a bit upfront and could use some more reverb. Modecca has pointed this out to me and I will be correcting it at some point.

For 2120, I did play real guitar on the rhythm parts, with some saz and guitar from Pangea. But all the frantic lead parts are Pangea going through Kuassa's Caliburn. I can't play at that level D:

Thank you for listening and taking the time to comment, Stratonic!
Last edited by TheGodOfRainbows on 06 Apr 2019, edited 1 time in total.

TheGodOfRainbows

06 Apr 2019

Auryn wrote:
04 Apr 2019
Very musical stuff here, you obviously have talent for writing intricate melodic arrangements. The closest point of musical reference for me would be something post-rock like Tortoise. The biggest gripe I have while listening is that the sampled sounds you've limited yourself to don't really have the same expressiveness as a live performance would have had, which leads to the tracks sounding a bit "flat" for me. I could imagine that the same arrangements, but with some more varied & expressive sound/instrument choices (instead of the constantly returning "aaahhh" choirs) would be more compelling for me to listen to. Oh and the rhythm section in most tracks could use a bit more oomph, IMHO. But in terms of writing this is excellent, kept me entertained/interested throughout.
Perhaps I should have included more guitar and cello, and more of my own sampled Pyrex bowls (which aren't live instruments, but DO have roundrobins and have a more 'live' quality). But after working (for too long an extended period), I became fatigued and just wanted to finish the compositions.

I did toil the whole time with the question of whether or not the same limited instruments being reused throughout, especially the vocals, would detract from one's enjoyment of the album. I'm glad to see your comments on that matter, Auryn, as it does confirm this concern. I might be in the minority, because I quite enjoy just using the ahh vocals as textural place holders for melodies, where my mind just kind of adapts and accepts their limited nature. I guess I was trying to rely too heavily on the melody and harmonies to cary the humana vocals past their limits. But they are what they are: limited soundsets indeed.

About the rhythm sections needing more 'oomph', I can confirm that one element that I can overlook is the bass and drums. I often find it VERY hard to find the balance between too much and not enough 'oomph'. I tend to get things sounding good on home speakers, only to discover in the car or on headphones the kick and bass are way too boomy. I'm so constantly worried about things sounding woofy or boomy in the rhythm section, that perhaps I've taken too much of that oomph out. D:

I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment Auryn!

Thanks for the musical reference Tortoise. is there a specific track of their's you would pick that coincides with my music.

TheGodOfRainbows

06 Apr 2019

modecca wrote:
05 Apr 2019
:x :cry:

Such is the transitory nature of your channel Modecca. Out of the aether from whence it came, your video returneth to the unknown.

Se7en

06 Apr 2019

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
06 Apr 2019
Such is the transitory nature of your channel Modecca. Out of the aether from whence it came, your video returneth to the unknown.

TheGodOfRainbows

06 Apr 2019

Se7en wrote:
06 Apr 2019
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
06 Apr 2019
Perfectly apt.

• Information