Earth Creature (experimental)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TheGodOfRainbows

23 Mar 2019

In the spirit of the One Synth EP Challenge (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7497676), this album uses only Humana, Pangea and Klang. Everything you hear is from that trio of instrument devices, with the only exceptions being instruments that I played myself, some drums, and the vocal from my mother, The Mother Of Rainbows.

As with my previous albums, my goal was to make the most out of a given soundset or instrument, and to showcase it in the best way I can.

Much of the percusion, including snares and kicks were crafted from various instruments in Klang and or Pangea. All of the sound effects on the last track "2120" were designed from different instruments in Pangea and Klang as well. For example, laser sounds were made by using the comb filter with lots of resonance, and the sirens were the wooden flute and some vocals. No synths were used.

On the title track "Earth Creature", I used my own multi-sampled Pyrex bowls. The heartbeat heard in Earth Creature, Thriving Ecosystem, and Dreams Embryonic (as well as blended here and there on other tracks) is my own heartbeat using the Pocket-Dop: a handheld vascular Doppler that provides rapid, accurate localization and assessment of arterial and venous blood flow.

For "Helix Seed", I used Peter Lansford's "Third Side Of The Coin" as a reference track. The tempo and song structure is used as a guide. Tambourine and drum elements are used from Teflon Tomb's (aka Modecca) "Dedd Peeple".

"Dig deep inside the sound" - Teflon Tomb/Modecca

When I referring to this album as HKP (working title), Teflon Tomb tried to guess what the abbreviation stood for. The Horowitz Key Protocol was one of his guesses. It actually stood for Humana Klang Pangea. This song is dedicated to him.

I welcome all comments and criticisms. What's the strongest song, and the weakest song(s)? How is the mix?

There are 5 extra songs on Bandcamp (i'm out of space on SoundCloud), for a total of 16 songs.

chill, chillout, experimental, acoustic, electroacoustic,

bossa
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2019

The mix sounds good for me! I like the klang & pangea sounds very! Humana ist a little bit too synthetical!

modecca

23 Mar 2019

THIS ONE HAS PROMISE; TRACK ONE IS GORGEOUS.
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

muckmclane

24 Mar 2019

if u send me the full album in one .wav it would be easier to review

TheGodOfRainbows

24 Mar 2019

bossa wrote: ↑
23 Mar 2019
The mix sounds good for me! I like the klang & pangea sounds very! Humana ist a little bit too synthetical!
Thanks! I think they are a great addition to Reason.

TheGodOfRainbows

24 Mar 2019

modecca wrote: ↑
23 Mar 2019
THIS ONE HAS PROMISE; TRACK ONE IS GORGEOUS.
Thanks!

minilog

25 Mar 2019

TheGodOfRainbows wrote: ↑
23 Mar 2019
For "Helix Seed", I used Peter Lansford's "Third Side Of The Coin" as a reference track.
Your composition is much more intricate and interesting to listen to. Great work! I bought the album and I'm looking forward to listening to the rest of it soon. I'm especially intrigued because I just upgraded to R10 and I'm interested in hearing those timbres from the great mind of your craftsmanship.

I was actually just skimming through the music forum while I reinstall some VST's and RE's after a "system refresh" - this was a nice surprise. I'm running late for the rabbit hole but I'll come back here soon. Godspeed.

modecca

25 Mar 2019

this may just be my ears but the higher register humana vocals are typically very loud in this album( the lower humana is fine).
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

TheGodOfRainbows

25 Mar 2019

minilog wrote: ↑
25 Mar 2019
23 Mar 2019
For "Helix Seed", I used Peter Lansford's "Third Side Of The Coin" as a reference track.
Your composition is much more intricate and interesting to listen to. Great work! I bought the album and I'm looking forward to listening to the rest of it soon. I'm especially intrigued because I just upgraded to R10 and I'm interested in hearing those timbres from the great mind of your craftsmanship.

I was actually just skimming through the music forum while I reinstall some VST's and RE's after a "system refresh" - this was a nice surprise. I'm running late for the rabbit hole but I'll come back here soon. Godspeed.
Awesome! Thank you! I wouldn't say my composition is "much more interesting to listen to". After all, without your track, my would have never existed. It was the precursor. I tried to recreate what I referred to as 'that weird chord' in Third Side Of The Coin using Humana and some chorus. That chord was the 'seed' for this song, hence the title.

TheGodOfRainbows

25 Mar 2019

25 Mar 2019
this may just be my ears but the higher register humana vocals are typically very loud in this album( the lower humana is fine).
You may have a very good point. I will take this into consideration and will possibly touch up the songs (all of them if necessary) to correct this. It would be great if you could point out which songs are the biggest offenders, but if you mean generally throughout the album, then that's good too.

I do know that every speaker and headphone set is different, so maybe your particular listening devices reveal this imbalance more so than mine. Not that one listening device is superior to the other, just different, which is one more excuse for me to buy more listening gear!

Also, after having worked on these songs for months, my ears have become conditioned and probably desensitised to the point of not hearing obvious imbalances.

Thanks for the feedback. This is exactly the kind of analysis I need.

modecca

25 Mar 2019

I do this to myself to: I post a song 1 day and listen to it the next day and the balance feels off.
To my ears/ monitors I was loving everything and then when the humana higher register voices kick in ( low is fine) it feels too loud. Again it seems like a systemic occurrence.
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2019

Sounds good to me. Seems like you've found lots of creative ways to work with these instruments. I listened through most of the soundcloud tracks. It's a little too much to digest at once for me to be able to pick favorites. But overall I tend to like the more Kland and Pangea heavy parts. I just prefer their sounds over Humana.

It's cool to see that the One Synth EP Challenge still can inspire some creations. I sort of wish I was still in that mode mentally, because I do like the concept.

O1B

26 Mar 2019

Bold mix. Damn! It's Klangin'!

TheGodOfRainbows

26 Mar 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote: ↑
26 Mar 2019
Sounds good to me. Seems like you've found lots of creative ways to work with these instruments. I listened through most of the soundcloud tracks. It's a little too much to digest at once for me to be able to pick favorites. But overall I tend to like the more Kland and Pangea heavy parts. I just prefer their sounds over Humana.

It's cool to see that the One Synth EP Challenge still can inspire some creations. I sort of wish I was still in that mode mentally, because I do like the concept.
Thanks for the feedback Tritone. Yes, I worked with these sounds in as many ways as I could think of. I enjoyed the task of making some of them sound synthy, especially the bass lines and pads by modulation of resonance on filters, and using Etch Red and Synchronus among other things. I'm definitely a sample head, not just a synth lover. It seems on ReasonTalk at least, people are much more synth oriented, but I love them both.

I easily get overwhelmed by too many options, so that's why the One Synth Challenge intrigues me so much.

Thanks for listening!

TheGodOfRainbows

26 Mar 2019

25 Mar 2019
I do this to myself to: I post a song 1 day and listen to it the next day and the balance feels off.
To my ears/ monitors I was loving everything and then when the humana higher register voices kick in ( low is fine) it feels too loud. Again it seems like a systemic occurrence.
Well, then I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board, because I believe you if you say it's systemic. I'm not sure when I'll get to it, since I need a break, but i will go back through every track and lower female vocals across the board starting with -2dB and see what that does. It may not sound like much, but I usually start in increments of 2 dB when boosting or cutting anything, otherwise it can really throw things off.

muckmclane

26 Mar 2019

26 Mar 2019
25 Mar 2019
Well, then I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board, because I believe you if you say it's systemic. I'm not sure when I'll get to it, since I need a break, but i will go back through every track and lower female vocals across the board starting with -2dB and see what that does. It may not sound like much, but I usually start in increments of 2 dB when boosting or cutting anything, otherwise it can really throw things off.
YEAH DONT WORRY ABOUT IT I AM LISTENING TO IT AND I THINK MY EARS ARE GETTING USED TO HUMANA BEING FRONT AND CENTER.

TheGodOfRainbows

26 Mar 2019

O1B wrote: ↑
26 Mar 2019
Bold mix. Damn! It's Klangin'!
Thank you!

TheGodOfRainbows

26 Mar 2019

muckmclane wrote: ↑
26 Mar 2019
26 Mar 2019

YEAH DONT WORRY ABOUT IT I AM LISTENING TO IT AND I THINK MY EARS ARE GETTING USED TO HUMANA BEING FRONT AND CENTER.
Oh but I am worried! :mrgreen: If that was your initial gut instinct impression, I take that seriously. We'll see if it changes for you.

modecca

26 Mar 2019

26 Mar 2019
26 Mar 2019

Oh but I am worried! :mrgreen: If that was your initial gut instinct impression, I take that seriously. We'll see if it changes for you.
I CAN BE HASTY SOMETIMES IN MY ASSESSMENT.
Last edited by modecca on 27 Mar 2019, edited 1 time in total.
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

strangers
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2019

Going to listen to this in pieces since there's a lot. So far, Tree Dweller is my favorite. Everything is clear, crisp and sounding good. Thanks for sharing. Back to listening to more of these songs if I can stop skipping to the beginning of Tree Dweller to re-listen.

TheGodOfRainbows

28 Mar 2019

strangers wrote: ↑
27 Mar 2019
Going to listen to this in pieces since there's a lot. So far, Tree Dweller is my favorite. Everything is clear, crisp and sounding good. Thanks for sharing. Back to listening to more of these songs if I can stop skipping to the beginning of Tree Dweller to re-listen.
Thank you for listening! I'm glad you like Tree Dweller intro so much. I agonized over the mix of all the songs over many weeks, so i'm glad to hear you say it sounds good.

Se7en

02 Apr 2019

25 Mar 2019
+1
26 Mar 2019
Why are you yelling like a crazy person? Oh wait.

The Humana isn't really problematic and it seems more like a creative decision to have them so prominent. It just feels a little weird to have Humana choir mixed like pop vocals when choir traditionally "should be" further into the mix. The experimental aspect is what the rabbit hole is all about though.

modecca

03 Apr 2019

Se7en wrote: ↑
02 Apr 2019
25 Mar 2019
+1
26 Mar 2019

The Humana isn't really problematic and it seems more like a creative decision to have them so prominent. It just feels a little weird to have Humana choir mixed like pop vocals when choir traditionally "should be" further into the mix. The experimental aspect is what the rabbit hole is all about though.
GLAD YOU WERE ABLE TO ANSWER UR OWN QUESTION.
ALL MY FAVORITE SEGMENTS ARE COMPRISED SOLELY OF KLANG AND PANGEA.
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

Se7en

03 Apr 2019

26 Mar 2019
Se7en wrote: ↑
02 Apr 2019
03 Apr 2019
GLAD YOU WERE ABLE TO ANSWER UR OWN QUESTION.
Yeah it's a habit I have of figuring things out just like talking to myself when doing focused-based work. I know what you're doing right now, for example, but that's besides the point.

modecca

03 Apr 2019

"I know what you're doing right now"
u dont wunt to know wut i am doing right now
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

• Information