[Electro song]

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
mashers

21 Feb 2019

Last edited by mashers on 10 Jun 2019, edited 1 time in total.

jappe

24 Mar 2019

mashers wrote:
21 Feb 2019
This was a fucking labour of love, and something I never thought I could accomplish. It is heavily inspired by the bands The Faint and Holy Fuck. Also influenced by Big Black Delta which I'm listening to a lot at the moment. There is a specific concept here and I'd love to hear interpretations to see what comes across. I could only ever have dreamed of creating this sound in years gone by. I am beyond proud of this.

https://youtu.be/Q9_gtf30L3o

Even if this isn't your genre, please listen if you can. Without wanting to sound arrogant, this track feels like such an accomplishment to me and it would mean so much to me for people to hear it. Thanks in advance if you do listen and I just hope you understand what I'm trying to convey.

The rack for this was made up of:

Vocals
A LOT of processing of vocals through several Neptunes for pitch-shifting and formant fuckery, and BV512 vocoding. The vocals in particular were a real accomplishment for me as they very much emulate the sound of how The Faint process their vocals.

Bass
  • A sample of the sound the aliens made in the original Space Invaders arcade game
  • Thor for that big rubbery bass (I'm only now realising how fucking good the analogue emulation is in Thor... listen to the LFO freaking out when I pitch bend the bass right down)
Percussion
  • A couple of Kong kits
  • A few other percussive samples
  • Thor making some white noise percussion
Leads and pads
  • Thors for the sine wave organ-like sound, the sawtooth pad, the triangle wave arp and the glitchy square wave solo
  • JPS Harmonic Synthesiser for the 1950's sci-fi-esque organ solo, and the organ-like sound in the bridge towards the end
Guitar
Ample Sound AGM2 acoustic guitar VST run through Reason amps, distortions and effects

Hardware
The lead line at the end (the massive, distorted one that closes the track) is my MicroBrute. I haven't done anything to that apart from reverb, compression and limiting. All of that lovely analogue death-ray is coming straight out of the 'brute.
I like everything with this.
Congrat's to this masterpiece!

The fact that there's zero comments on it reminds me of the importance of traversing the music forum back in time exploring what we've missed.

DrGOA®

24 Mar 2019

Good track!

mashers

25 Mar 2019

Thank you guys. I really appreciate the comments :)

strangers
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2019

Really nice work! I liked this a lot. Even with all of the VST an RE out there, Thor is still a beast. I've been gravitating back to it for a lot of sounds lately, too. Everything about the song is great. My only comment is I would've liked to hear the vocals and drums dirtied up or even with a little bit crushing. Other than that, keep it up. I'll be looking forward to hearing anything else you create.

mashers

27 Mar 2019

strangers wrote:
27 Mar 2019
Really nice work! I liked this a lot. Even with all of the VST an RE out there, Thor is still a beast. I've been gravitating back to it for a lot of sounds lately, too. Everything about the song is great. My only comment is I would've liked to hear the vocals and drums dirtied up or even with a little bit crushing. Other than that, keep it up. I'll be looking forward to hearing anything else you create.
Thanks man! I really appreciate the feedback. And the fact that you found it a good demonstration of Thor is a massive compliment. I totally see what you mean about the vocals. In this particular case I was going for a specific sound in the vocal, namely that of The Faint. I wanted a cold, detached vocal style, though a dirty vocal would work for a remix (which I am considering doing at some point). My next track is going to have VERY dirty vocals and percussion so watch this space ;)

• Information