Attempting a Song-a-Day project (downtempo acid)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
DrGOA®

18 Mar 2019

Good again!

Melody303

26 Mar 2019

Thanks as always, DrGOA. :)

I haven't written anything in the last week, was too busy researching which synth I want for my liveact rig (and chose the Roland JDXI in the end). Now I'm finally back to it.

2 more songs left to write this month. :)
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

DrGOA®

27 Mar 2019

Good again!

Melody303

27 Mar 2019

Thanks DrGOA. :)

Here's a new one from today: https://melodyklein.bandcamp.com/track/ ... -orchestra
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.

muckmclane

27 Mar 2019

WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOU GIVE A FAST TEMPO A TRY

DrGOA®

28 Mar 2019

Yeah, I want to hear that too!

Melody303

01 Apr 2019

The last one for March coming with a slight delay:

Sorry, not uptempo. You could check out some of my older stuff for uptempo. Even if I were to write at tempos I consider fast, I bet they'd still be slower than what you think, like, around 120bpm. :p

And now I have until the 24th of April to write 10 more songs. :x

DrGOA®

01 Apr 2019

Sorry, not uptempo.
Too bad, but I'll live with that!
About the last track - I like it!

muckmclane

01 Apr 2019

y u make doggy cry.gif
y u make doggy cry.gif (82.03 KiB) Viewed 1670 times
Melody303 wrote:
01 Apr 2019
The last one for March coming with a slight delay:

Sorry, not uptempo. You could check out some of my older stuff for uptempo. Even if I were to write at tempos I consider fast, I bet they'd still be slower than what you think, like, around 120bpm. :p

And now I have until the 24th of April to write 10 more songs. :x

Melody303

02 Apr 2019

Thanks DrGOA, and sorry muckmclane. :p

And I'm starting April: https://melodyklein.bandcamp.com/track/aether-saltator

DrGOA®

03 Apr 2019

Good again!

modecca

03 Apr 2019

Melody303 wrote:
02 Apr 2019
sorry muckmclane. :p

And I'm starting April: https://melodyklein.bandcamp.com/track/aether-saltator
🔗💥

Melody303

03 Apr 2019

Thanks again DrGOA. :)

Here's a fast one for you guys. It's not new, it's from 2014, but here:

DrGOA®

03 Apr 2019

Here is the deal!

Se7en

03 Apr 2019

Melody303 wrote:
03 Apr 2019
Hi Melody. Long time lurker here on the Reasontalk forums. I enjoy the faster stuff as well although I also appreciate the vibe you're going for at the moment. I'm looking forward to hearing more. I see you have a massive catalog for me to get lost in when the time comes. :thumbs_up:

modecca

03 Apr 2019

Melody303 wrote:
03 Apr 2019
Thanks again DrGOA. :)

tt.jpg
tt.jpg (153.92 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
🔗💥

Melody303

03 Apr 2019

Thanks DrGOA, Se7en, and modecca. :)

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming. :p

I was a zombie because of this song for most of today. Started writing it last night at 2am, stopped to sleep at 8, but only got 3 hours of sleep. :x In total I spent some 12 hours on it, but I'm very happy with the result.
https://melodyklein.bandcamp.com/track/salvia-divinorum

btw, I thought about doing some parallel processing on this one with u-He EQ, which gave a nifty sound, but it introduced delay/latency/whatever, and I didn't want to spend the time on the less artistic technical stuff to make it work, so no parallel processing. Oh well. :/

Se7en

03 Apr 2019

Melody303 wrote:
03 Apr 2019
I was a zombie because of this song for most of today. Started writing it last night at 2am, stopped to sleep at 8, but only got 3 hours of sleep. :x In total I spent some 12 hours on it, but I'm very happy with the result.

btw, I thought about doing some parallel processing on this one with u-He EQ, which gave a nifty sound, but it introduced delay/latency/whatever, and I didn't want to spend the time on the less artistic technical stuff to make it work, so no parallel processing. Oh well. :/
Gorgeous track. Twelve hours seems to be standard for a lot of folks and I wouldn't spend more than twelve hours on a track really.

It's amusing how "acid" is trending in mainstream techno right now but they are small potatoes compared to your expressive work. I can feel the tension and depth in what you do as opposed to the mainstream riding a trend.

I actually enjoy spending time on processing, mixing and technical stuff. It can be very time consuming though for sure. Personally, I'd go for more definition and punch in the drums but I realize acid is your passion.

You are one of the more prolific artists here. What drives you to create so much and what advice would you have for your procrastinating peers?

DrGOA®

04 Apr 2019

Good track!

Melody303

04 Apr 2019

Thanks DrGOA & Se7en. :)
Se7en wrote:
03 Apr 2019
Melody303 wrote:
03 Apr 2019

Gorgeous track. Twelve hours seems to be standard for a lot of folks and I wouldn't spend more than twelve hours on a track really.

It's amusing how "acid" is trending in mainstream techno right now but they are small potatoes compared to your expressive work. I can feel the tension and depth in what you do as opposed to the mainstream riding a trend.

I actually enjoy spending time on processing, mixing and technical stuff. It can be very time consuming though for sure. Personally, I'd go for more definition and punch in the drums but I realize acid is your passion.

You are one of the more prolific artists here. What drives you to create so much and what advice would you have for your procrastinating peers?
I think we often fall into the trap of creating many 8-bar-loops when we write music, and we perfect those loops, adding more and more stuff, balancing it all out, and we get satisfaction from that, the feeling of accomplishment - but we hardly ever actually do the arrangement to make songs out of those 8-bar loops, right?

So 3-4 years ago I came up with kind of a rule for myself to keep those under control, and a change in perspective about them. I can write however many of those 8-bar loops as I'm inspired to, but whenever I want to actually write a song to publish, I have to use the oldest of those 8-bar loops (I call them stems, though I know that's not the common usage for that word) that inspires me.

I started 2019 with a new year's resolution to write a lot more music this year than I have in any year prior, and I started it out with a song-a-day project, and then when I reached 12 songs written, I realized it brought me up to a total of 300 songs written (in 21 years) and decided that merits a rest, but I also set myself a schedule of how many songs to write at that point. 14 in February (coinciding with the FAWM project, which helped because you can get a lot more feedback during FAWM than any other time of the year - but do be careful not to get addicted to it, that's another trap to watch out for, and one I fell for before, a few years back. I got so addicted to the feedback during FAWM I didn't feel like writing at all the rest of the year when there wasn't as much guaranteed feedback), 10 in March, 10 in April (despite the fact I'm leaving for a vacation in Europe on the 24th), 10 in may (after I return on the 8th), and 10 in June.
I haven't decided about the second half of the year yet. :)

So the key advice would be to set yourself some goals, and stick to them.
Maybe decide you have to write 5 songs each month? Or pick a number you're comfortable with, and go for it.
Keep writing regardless of how much feedback you receive (positive or otherwise).
And maybe adopt the thing about using your oldest stem that inspires you whenever you want to write a song? That's been a great motivator for me too. I'd love to use one of my newest stems to write from, but I'm not allowing myself to just do that, I have to earn it (by finishing all the preceding stems into songs first). :)

modecca

04 Apr 2019

Melody303 wrote:
04 Apr 2019
Thanks DrGOA & Se7en. :)
Se7en wrote:
03 Apr 2019

I think we often fall into the trap of creating many 8-bar-loops when we write music, and we perfect those loops, adding more and more stuff, balancing it all out, and we get satisfaction from that, the feeling of accomplishment - but we hardly ever actually do the arrangement to make songs out of those 8-bar loops, right?

So 3-4 years ago I came up with kind of a rule for myself to keep those under control, and a change in perspective about them. I can write however many of those 8-bar loops as I'm inspired to, but whenever I want to actually write a song to publish, I have to use the oldest of those 8-bar loops (I call them stems, though I know that's not the common usage for that word) that inspires me.

I started 2019 with a new year's resolution to write a lot more music this year than I have in any year prior, and I started it out with a song-a-day project, and then when I reached 12 songs written, I realized it brought me up to a total of 300 songs written (in 21 years) and decided that merits a rest, but I also set myself a schedule of how many songs to write at that point. 14 in February (coinciding with the FAWM project, which helped because you can get a lot more feedback during FAWM than any other time of the year - but do be careful not to get addicted to it, that's another trap to watch out for, and one I fell for before, a few years back. I got so addicted to the feedback during FAWM I didn't feel like writing at all the rest of the year when there wasn't as much guaranteed feedback), 10 in March, 10 in April (despite the fact I'm leaving for a vacation in Europe on the 24th), 10 in may (after I return on the 8th), and 10 in June.
I haven't decided about the second half of the year yet. :)

Maybe decide you have to write 5 songs each month? Or pick a number you're comfortable with, and go for it.
Keep writing regardless of how much feedback you receive (positive or otherwise).
And maybe adopt the thing about using your oldest stem that inspires you whenever you want to write a song? That's been a great motivator for me too. I'd love to use one of my newest stems to write from, but I'm not allowing myself to just do that, I have to earn it (by finishing all the preceding stems into songs first). :)

I SAW SOME DUDE LATE LAST WEEK COME INTO THE TOBACCO SHOP AND THE MUSLIM GUY RUNNING THE STORE HANDED HIM SOMETHING AND THE GUY WALKED OUT. I ASKED WHAT WAS THAT AND HE SAID CRAVE OR SUM SHIT BUT I ASSUMED IT WAS SALVIA (LEGAL IN USA). I HAVE BEEN WONDERING IF I SHOULD GO BACK AND PICK SOME OF THAT UP (BETTER BE A DECENT POWER THE 15 X WAS WEAK).
OH AND:

🔗💥

Se7en

04 Apr 2019

Melody303 wrote:
04 Apr 2019
I think we often fall into the trap of creating many 8-bar-loops when we write music, and we perfect those loops, adding more and more stuff, balancing it all out, and we get satisfaction from that, the feeling of accomplishment
I agree and I often fall into the trap of adding too much to an eight bar loop. I'm trying to focus on keeping things moving with minimalism.
Melody303 wrote:
04 Apr 2019
(coinciding with the FAWM project, which helped because you can get a lot more feedback during FAWM than any other time of the year - but do be careful not to get addicted to it, that's another trap to watch out for, and one I fell for before, a few years back.
This is an excellent topic to think about. I don't get much technical feedback here in the rabbit hole but I do get high off sharing things even prematurely which provides a false sense of satisfaction. I think of it as instant gratification and I should be striving for delayed gratification.
Melody303 wrote:
04 Apr 2019
That really is some solid advice. I need to think about what my next goal is going to be.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Melody303

09 Apr 2019

I procrastinated a bit too much, now only have 15 days left to write 7 more songs.

What a mess. :p

Melody303

12 Apr 2019

Still procrastinating a bit too much, but here's the next one anyway.

DrGOA®

13 Apr 2019

Good track!

• Information