(Melodic Rock) New EP by Are We Ghosts

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
strangers
Competition Winner

05 Aug 2018

I'm proud to present an EP I've been working on with my friend for about a year now. All songs have been recorded and produced within Reason. These five songs have been recorded, mixed and mastered at different points throughout the year so there's some variation in mixes after the 1st two tracks. I would have liked to go back and re-mix the last 3 songs for a more cohesive sound but there just isn't enough hours in the day and we'd like to share these with you all now rather than later.

The EP is free/name your price on Bandcamp.

https://areweghosts.bandcamp.com/album/counterpoints

Enjoy!

Auryn

06 Aug 2018

So I had a listen to this and I have to admit that it isn't really my cup of tea in terms of music style. In terms of mix/engineering it sounds great, a cohesive whole that would not sound out of place on some rock radio show. IMHO it does lack something that would make it stand out from other similar music, but that again may be quite personal as I feel that way about 99% of all rock I hear. I didn't notice that big of a difference between the first 2 tracks and the latter 3 (first two might be slightly brighter/more transparant) but that's really only something other musicians/producers would pick up on.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

strangers
Competition Winner

06 Aug 2018

Auryn wrote:
06 Aug 2018
So I had a listen to this and I have to admit that it isn't really my cup of tea in terms of music style. In terms of mix/engineering it sounds great, a cohesive whole that would not sound out of place on some rock radio show. IMHO it does lack something that would make it stand out from other similar music, but that again may be quite personal as I feel that way about 99% of all rock I hear. I didn't notice that big of a difference between the first 2 tracks and the latter 3 (first two might be slightly brighter/more transparant) but that's really only something other musicians/producers would pick up on.
Thanks for giving it a spin and sharing your thoughts. This forum is primarily electronic so I expected to be the odd ball out :lol: keeps things interesting. Different styles come and go. Giving them the chance is all anyone can expect, which I totally appreciate. I've always been a rock guy even though the electronic world now has its spell on me. It's fun having two totally different musical outlets especially when I can throw the forum a curveball with my Devil's music.

Scoobyman II

06 Aug 2018

"Moment Makers" in the beginning reminded me of the band "Doves" and "Blinker the Star". "Harbouring Suspicions" has a John Feldmann production vibe to it. You guys play well. Do you play live in New Jersey?

strangers
Competition Winner

06 Aug 2018

Scoobyman II wrote:
06 Aug 2018
"Moment Makers" in the beginning reminded me of the band "Doves" and "Blinker the Star". "Harbouring Suspicions" has a John Feldmann production vibe to it. You guys play well. Do you play live in New Jersey?
Never heard of either of those bands but was curious to check them out. I can hear the Blinker the Star reference in the vocals. I listened to some of their stuff from a few years ago. Pretty cool stuff, thanks for the recommendation. And thanks for the kind words with the Feldmann reference. That's a name I haven't heard in a long time. That's one talented guy right there.

As for playing live... we aren't currently due to total opposite work schedules and being a good hour and a half drive apart. We've been trying to coordinate some live shows with our old drummer but it's tough to make happen.

With that in mind, here's a little fun fact. Back when I was in college I started a band with the same friend who handled bass and vocals on these songs. The very first song I wrote and brought to the table for the guys was Harboring Suspicions, which kicked off some of the most productive writing/jamming/recording/gigging I've had with any band I've played with. This song hasn't seen the light of day for almost 10 years since we last gigged. It was time to finally get at least one of the old songs recorded and shared with people outside of the crusty spots we used to play.

Scoobyman II

07 Aug 2018

strangers wrote:
06 Aug 2018
With that in mind, here's a little fun fact. Back when I was in college I started a band with the same friend who handled bass and vocals on these songs. The very first song I wrote and brought to the table for the guys was Harboring Suspicions, which kicked off some of the most productive writing/jamming/recording/gigging I've had with any band I've played with. This song hasn't seen the light of day for almost 10 years since we last gigged.
It holds up well after ten years.

Lowas

08 Aug 2018

Nice feel :)

strangers
Competition Winner

08 Aug 2018

Scoobyman II wrote:
07 Aug 2018
It holds up well after ten years.
Glad you're digging it even with the thick layer of dust.
Lowas wrote:
08 Aug 2018
Nice feel :)
Thanks! The feels have been nourished.

Pete B

10 Aug 2018

I only listened to the first track ("not enough hours in the day" to quote you!). I much preferred the 'melodic' to the 'rock' - it sounds more creative/original to me, but maybe I'm just not a heavy rocker. It sounds fine to me production-wise, apart from the heavy guitar sounding a bit too upfront, but that could just be me not being a heavy rocker again.

strangers
Competition Winner

11 Aug 2018

Pete B wrote:
10 Aug 2018
I only listened to the first track ("not enough hours in the day" to quote you!). I much preferred the 'melodic' to the 'rock' - it sounds more creative/original to me, but maybe I'm just not a heavy rocker. It sounds fine to me production-wise, apart from the heavy guitar sounding a bit too upfront, but that could just be me not being a heavy rocker again.
Thanks for taking some time to listen to at least one of them. Keeping the guitars a tad loud is a tough habit to break since I'm a guitarist. I've been making progress on that but still have some ways to go.

I have a weird way of listening to music mostly due to finding a lot of lyrics to be really cheesy. I generally zone out the lyrics just to hear the vocal melody with the music. More emphasis on actually hearing what the vocalist wrote is helping me keep the vocals up front. That's the cool thing about music though, everyone can listen and interpret it in different ways.

• Information