(5/8 Electronic) - Darkness

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Aug 2018

It's not everyday I write songs in 5/8 time signature, but I did with this one.

This one's pretty different from many of my tracks. It's not that focused around melodies. It's more about creating a vibe. Also the structure of the song is very different from most of my tunes. It's almost more like different "scenes" than a traditional verse/chorus thing.

I actually took some visual inspiration from Doom (2016 version) when I wrote this tune. Every now and then I watched this video with the sound turned off, while listening to my track.

I'm glad I managed to use my Zero Synth and ProjectSam REs quite a bit in this track. These two REs haven't been utilized nearly enough in my music before. I think they complemented each other well. Zero is very clean digital modern sounding and ProjectSam strings got to represent the more human organic element. And of course a big part of the sound comes from running instruments through Antidotes FX section (delay, reverb, compressor chain).
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 05 Aug 2018, edited 1 time in total.

jimmyklane

04 Aug 2018

Game soundtrack. Perfect cutaway music.

Well Done!
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

aeox
Competition Winner

04 Aug 2018

I'm particularly liking the bit from 0:40 to 1:13 It really has an interesting vibe!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Aug 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
04 Aug 2018
Game soundtrack. Perfect cutaway music.

Well Done!
Cool thanks :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Aug 2018

aeox wrote:
04 Aug 2018
I'm particularly liking the bit from 0:40 to 1:13 It really has an interesting vibe!
Thanks. Yeah that part really stops the whole track and does it's own thing. I completely ignored following the timing of the grid/tempo of the song for that part. :)

Auryn

05 Aug 2018

Probably my favourite track of yours since the supernova ambient track... love how it goes a bit off the beaten track with the rhythm. Also the orchestral bit in the middle is surprising and fits.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

raymondh

05 Aug 2018

Wow, what a great squelchy sound. That's how you do modulation eh!
I really like the orchestral section too.

This is a very creative piece and shows off your technical prowess!

raymondh

05 Aug 2018

Just been checking out a few of your other tracks. Dude, you have so much talent!! Fantastic collection of tracks!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Aug 2018

Auryn wrote:
05 Aug 2018
Probably my favourite track of yours since the supernova ambient track... love how it goes a bit off the beaten track with the rhythm. Also the orchestral bit in the middle is surprising and fits.
Thanks. I used one of your patches again from your Zero Point Energy refill :D

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Aug 2018

raymondh wrote:
05 Aug 2018
Wow, what a great squelchy sound. That's how you do modulation eh!
I really like the orchestral section too.

This is a very creative piece and shows off your technical prowess!
Thanks for the kind words.

There's not much "technical prowess" to talk about though. I'm probably one of the least technical Reason user there is :D
But I do spend quite a bit of time choosing sounds, adjusting the settings of compression, EQ, filters, distortion, reverbs and so on. So I'm a tweaker in one sense but I'm not a sound designer or patch creator by any means. Mostly I just tweak existing patches or add additional effects on them.

strangers
Competition Winner

05 Aug 2018

I enjoyed this one a lot. It's also pretty cool to see what your source of inspiration for the track was. The last time I played Doom was Doom 64. After hearing the song and seeing the video, I kind of want to pick up one of the current games even though I probably shouldn't.

Auryn

06 Aug 2018

oops double post
Last edited by Auryn on 06 Aug 2018, edited 1 time in total.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-

Auryn

06 Aug 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
05 Aug 2018
Thanks for the props man... is it the creaky acid lead sound? That's a sound that's very typical of Zero either way.

Hope to hear some more new stuff from you soon. I probably said this before by the way but it would be interesting to hear you arrange your favourite/most succesful tracks into a kind of album. You have a very recognizable melodic style but a quite diverse portfolio of tracks that range from all guns blazing to eerie and introspective. IMHO arranging them into a continuous album/narrative might yield an extra layer of appeal. Or maybe I'm just old-fashioned cause I like albums.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Aug 2018

Auryn wrote:
06 Aug 2018
TritoneAddiction wrote:
05 Aug 2018
Thanks for the props man... is it the creaky acid lead sound? That's a sound that's very typical of Zero either way.

Hope to hear some more new stuff from you soon. I probably said this before by the way but it would be interesting to hear you arrange your favourite/most succesful tracks into a kind of album. You have a very recognizable melodic style but a quite diverse portfolio of tracks that range from all guns blazing to eerie and introspective. IMHO arranging them into a continuous album/narrative might yield an extra layer of appeal. Or maybe I'm just old-fashioned cause I like albums.
No it's not the lead sound. The sound from your refill is the sequenced one at 1:34. :)

The album idea is interesting and I like the idea of albums/EPs too. But as you say most of my tracks are all over the place. If I where to make an album I'd like to have some sort of cohesiveness.
Maybe there would be a way to rearrange some tracks. The only problem there would be a lack of motivation. I would be so bored going back to working on old tracks just to release them again. So I doubt that will ever happen.

I'd be more interested in doing a new project, an EP/album with some self made restrictions, some sort of vision before hand to make sure it wasn't all over the place. Take this "Darkness" track for example. If I wanted to make an album similar to this sound I could set up some rules like:

Zero will be the main synth and will represent the modern/futuristic/electronic side.
ProjectSam/Stringwerk will add the orchestral/cinematic/human elements.
Choose a darker set of note choices.
Don't be afraid to be more dynamic between melody, beats and ambient parts. Keep the song structure pretty lose, almost like it changes between different scenes in a movie/game.
Add sound effects here and there for some extra spice. :D

I'll be honest this example/imaginary project sounds pretty appealing.

Auryn

06 Aug 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
06 Aug 2018
The album idea is interesting and I like the idea of albums/EPs too. But as you say most of my tracks are all over the place. If I where to make an album I'd like to have some sort of cohesiveness.
Maybe there would be a way to rearrange some tracks. The only problem there would be a lack of motivation. I would be so bored going back to working on old tracks just to release them again. So I doubt that will ever happen.
Well, if we'd take Music for the Jilted Generation as a benchmark, that's really all over the place in terms of style too. Although it's mostly uptempo rave tracks, they are very different and there are also more quiet moments and odd tracks (like the "fly away" coda at the end of speedway, or 3 kilos, or skylined). It probably has a slightly more cohesive sound because it was all made on the same hardware, but I wouldn't discount your own musical sensibilities as being capable of forming a bedrock of cohesion for an album.
Can't help with the boredom problem, other than to say that it really doesn't have to be that much work man, just take a couple of hours to find some nice transitions/contrasts between your existing tracks and there you go.
TritoneAddiction wrote:
06 Aug 2018
I'd be more interested in doing a new project, an EP/album with some self made restrictions, some sort of vision before hand to make sure it wasn't all over the place. Take this "Darkness" track for example. If I wanted to make an album similar to this sound I could set up some rules like:

Zero will be the main synth and will represent the modern/futuristic/electronic side.
Don't be afraid to be more dynamic between melody, beats and ambient parts. Keep the song structure pretty lose, almost like it changes between different scenes in a movie/game.

I'd certainly be interested to hear this project... though I think you forgot a rule: -collaborate with other reasontalkers to make the tracks even more awesome! ;)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

07 Aug 2018

Auryn wrote:
06 Aug 2018
TritoneAddiction wrote:
06 Aug 2018
Well, if we'd take Music for the Jilted Generation as a benchmark, that's really all over the place in terms of style too. Although it's mostly uptempo rave tracks, they are very different and there are also more quiet moments and odd tracks (like the "fly away" coda at the end of speedway, or 3 kilos, or skylined). It probably has a slightly more cohesive sound because it was all made on the same hardware, but I wouldn't discount your own musical sensibilities as being capable of forming a bedrock of cohesion for an album.
Can't help with the boredom problem, other than to say that it really doesn't have to be that much work man, just take a couple of hours to find some nice transitions/contrasts between your existing tracks and there you go.
TritoneAddiction wrote:
06 Aug 2018

I'd certainly be interested to hear this project... though I think you forgot a rule: -collaborate with other reasontalkers to make the tracks even more awesome! ;)
Music for the gilted generation is a great album. But there are two songs that I feel doesn't fit with the rest of the album, One love and 3 kilos. All the other tracks has a darker/more serious vibe to them and these two sticks out in a bad way imo.

About the collaboration idea. That's a cool idea but I think my need of having full control over a project together with my ego will have some problems with this :lol:
I don't necessarily show these traits that much in other areas of my life, but when it comes to music they are strong. I can be really stubborn about keeping my vision intact unless I keep an open mind from the start, which in those cases I don't really have a vision :D

Pete B

07 Aug 2018

I like the fact that you're experimenting with different stuff (the rhythm and the orchestral bit). Those two dying synths were good and unexpected, too - the bits that sounded like the synth was just giving up and sputtering to a halt. The music fitted the mood of the video.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Aug 2018

Pete B wrote:
07 Aug 2018
I like the fact that you're experimenting with different stuff (the rhythm and the orchestral bit). Those two dying synths were good and unexpected, too - the bits that sounded like the synth was just giving up and sputtering to a halt. The music fitted the mood of the video.
Thanks. Yeah I'm quite happy about some of the new things I tried here, not that any of them are particularly unique in a broader sense. But it's stuff that's new to my music at least.

• Information