ELECTRONIC: Deep Waters

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
jimmyklane

09 Jul 2018

Here is the 2nd track for an upcoming Seramik EP. This is unmastered, but the mix is close to finished. I’d LOVE to hear your opinions on this track, as I welcome all reviews and criticism!

DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

jimmyklane

09 Jul 2018

Just want to say that I used WAY more software this time, for example the entire master buss is a software chain! Amazing how good the modern plugins sound, as to my ears this is a warm and smooth recording.

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

jimmyklane

09 Jul 2018

Any thoughts?

Namyo85

09 Jul 2018

Yes, I was thinking about this. You say you welcome criticism so here goes. To me the snare sounds a little too big and takes up a lot of room, there seems to be a lot going on in the lower frequencies, I'm not sure if that could partly be my hi-fi, I have to tone down the bass on it usually - listening again though, it might actually be the snare doing that. It's a fine art isn't it getting these volumes and effect levels right ;). Otherwise a good laid back tune, overall production sounds good.

jimmyklane

09 Jul 2018

Namyo85 wrote:
09 Jul 2018
Yes, I was thinking about this. You say you welcome criticism so here goes. To me the snare sounds a little too big and takes up a lot of room, there seems to be a lot going on in the lower frequencies, I'm not sure if that could partly be my hi-fi, I have to tone down the bass on it usually - listening again though, it might actually be the snare doing that. It's a fine art isn't it getting these volumes and effect levels right ;). Otherwise a good laid back tune, overall production sounds good.
The snare is meant to be this huge thing....and you’re right, I EQed in the “low tone” on the 808 snare. I sort of thought I was getting away with it because the other elements are either sparse or restricted in their frequency ranges, mostly pretty mellow.

What would you sugesst if YOU mixed the song?

09 Jul 2018

Sounds good. It might not fit with what you were going for but perhaps a "B" section in the middle with a different chord progression would be a nice addition? Lift it into a different direction for a little while before returning to the original progression?

jimmyklane

09 Jul 2018

6502 wrote:
09 Jul 2018
Sounds good. It might not fit with what you were going for but perhaps a "B" section in the middle with a different chord progression would be a nice addition? Lift it into a different direction for a little while before returning to the original progression?
Basically, write a middle bridge?

And after that I could even modulate up a whole-tone to give it that extra positive ending. The plucked melody is supposed to uplift the entire track.

As it stands, and you may not realize it due to the similarities but the key modulates from mode G Lydian to A Major....subtle, but effective.

I’ll take your suggestions to heart. You’ve got some solid ideas here

10 Jul 2018

I think it would be called a bridge section. At any rate, just taking a brief musical visit somewhere else before returning home to the original theme. I am not yet a skilled producer and am trying to get more familiar with some of these arrangement concepts and terms. I did notice a subtle change in your piece and you've explained what it is -cool :cool:

jimmyklane

10 Jul 2018

6502 wrote:
10 Jul 2018
I think it would be called a bridge section. At any rate, just taking a brief musical visit somewhere else before returning home to the original theme. I am not yet a skilled producer and am trying to get more familiar with some of these arrangement concepts and terms. I did notice a subtle change in your piece and you've explained what it is -cool :cool:
The idea behind the piece (and the entire EP) is one of water....constant and constantly shifting. So with that in mind, abrupt changes in mood or tonality would be a tough sell, but all-in-all you’re correct. The sections are too long to not have a little more variety in them. I’ve got a few ideas that work both within the mode as well as the altered scale, and hope to tie them in and let them flow in and out (like how the saw wave arpeggio filters up and down a little over 16 bars and cycles for most of the song). Perhaps I need more shifting elements, kind of like the multiple ocean samples and how they move in and out, left and right.

New to producing or not, if you’ve got a good ear then you only need the last 10-15% which is technique....I think perhaps your instinct is correct here, and that’s why I post pre-production versions of my songs to this forum....ideas and feedback.

BTW: if you’ve got music here, point me to it and I’m happy to give you my own thoughts if you want them.

-Jim

Namyo85

10 Jul 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
09 Jul 2018
The snare is meant to be this huge thing....and you’re right, I EQed in the “low tone” on the 808 snare. I sort of thought I was getting away with it because the other elements are either sparse or restricted in their frequency ranges, mostly pretty mellow.

What would you sugesst if YOU mixed the song?
I think I'd simply lower the volume of the snare and reduce the reverb on it. Quick and easy fix. :puf_smile:

10 Jul 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
10 Jul 2018
BTW: if you’ve got music here, point me to it and I’m happy to give you my own thoughts if you want them.

-Jim
I appreciate that - I hope I can post something at some point. I have a lot of fears about doing so but I am gradually getting over them.

jimmyklane

10 Jul 2018

6502 wrote:
10 Jul 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
10 Jul 2018

-Jim
I appreciate that - I hope I can post something at some point. I have a lot of fears about doing so but I am gradually getting over them.
This is a pretty constructive group. I’ve never heard amy harsh words on my music or posts, even if my music isn’t to everyone’s taste, they have something to SAY about it.

Give it a shot

jimmyklane

10 Jul 2018

So, is the consensus that the snare drum dominates the track too much? It’s MEANT to stand out, but not to take over the entire track.

• Information