[Electronic] & [Hip-Hop] Two new tracks : Interlude & Reverie

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Post Reply
ElectronicPhonograph
Posts: 39
Joined: 31 Aug 2017

22 Jun 2018

Hi,

2 new tracks,

Hip-hop with a sample from Anka (1959)




Electronic, I don't even know the sub-genre, with Koto sample and vocals from Mayer Beiser and Anya.


Criticism appreciated,

Cya

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 1429
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

23 Jun 2018

I thought the second one "Reverie" was pretty cool. Nice character and ambience.

"Interlude" didn't quite gel with me though. The old sample/song emphasizes the 6/8 feel while the added beat is playing a normal 4/4 beat. Imo that kind of thing can be used as a temporary effect but maybe not throughout a whole track.

ElectronicPhonograph
Posts: 39
Joined: 31 Aug 2017

23 Jun 2018

Hi,

Thanks for your comment,
TritoneAddiction wrote:
23 Jun 2018
"Interlude" didn't quite gel with me though. The old sample/song emphasizes the 6/8 feel while the added beat is playing a normal 4/4 beat. Imo that kind of thing can be used as a temporary effect but maybe not throughout a whole track.
Ho, interesting, I felt something was off with the beat in Interlude but I haven't been able to adress it. I've always struggled to recognize those time signature but know that you say it, I can hear it ; "BOOM tac tac - BOOM tac tac..."
Thing is ; I don't really know how it could be translated in the beat sequence, standard 4/4 gives "Bd - Hh - Sd - Hh - Bd - Hh - Sd - Hh" (1 and 2 and 3 and 4), strong time being the 1st and the 3rd. (except for Jazz I believe)
In 6/8 it would be "Bd - Hh - Hh - Sd - Hh - Hh - Bd - Hh - Hh - Sd - Hh - Hh" ?

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 1429
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

23 Jun 2018

ElectronicPhonograph wrote:
23 Jun 2018
Hi,

Thanks for your comment,
TritoneAddiction wrote:
23 Jun 2018
"Interlude" didn't quite gel with me though. The old sample/song emphasizes the 6/8 feel while the added beat is playing a normal 4/4 beat. Imo that kind of thing can be used as a temporary effect but maybe not throughout a whole track.
Ho, interesting, I felt something was off with the beat in Interlude but I haven't been able to adress it. I've always struggled to recognize those time signature but know that you say it, I can hear it ; "BOOM tac tac - BOOM tac tac..."
Thing is ; I don't really know how it could be translated in the beat sequence, standard 4/4 gives "Bd - Hh - Sd - Hh - Bd - Hh - Sd - Hh" (1 and 2 and 3 and 4), strong time being the 1st and the 3rd. (except for Jazz I believe)
In 6/8 it would be "Bd - Hh - Hh - Sd - Hh - Hh - Bd - Hh - Hh - Sd - Hh - Hh" ?
Yeah it seems like you undestand it correctly. I wouldn't say it's "wrong" to play the two rhythms against each other but it should definitely be conscious choice to do it imo. Again sometimes those things can be cool.
In your song the kick and snare match each other most of the time (1 2 3 4), the quarter notes in a 4/4 time signature. It's the notes between that has different timing.

I encourage you to just play around with different time signatures and also compare straight 8 notes to 8 triplets etc to get a good grasp of how they all sound. You will soon be able to identify how songs are built timing wise and it will be easier to come up a beat that fits.

ElectronicPhonograph
Posts: 39
Joined: 31 Aug 2017

23 Jun 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
23 Jun 2018
I encourage you to just play around with different time signatures and also compare straight 8 notes to 8 triplets etc to get a good grasp of how they all sound. You will soon be able to identify how songs are built timing wise and it will be easier to come up a beat that fits.
Will do, thanks for your advices.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests