(Trailer) Epic Trailer 03a

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
NekujaK

18 Jun 2018

I wanted to try to produce an epic trailer without the benefit of expensive orchestral packages typically associated with this type of music (Albion One, Metropolis ARK, Cinematic Strings, Storm Choir, etc...). These are the instruments I used:
- Hydronexius (RE)
- Aquios X4 (RE)
- Humana (RE)
- Europa (RE)
- Subtractor (RE)
- Orkester (Refill)
- Miroslav Gold (Refill)
- EmBouchuRe (Refill)
- Epic BeatRE (Refill)
- Sonivox Orchestral Companion - Brass (VST)
- Sonivox Big Bang Cinematic Percussion (VST)

The Humana choir is probably the weakest link, mostly because it lacks phrase-building, so you just get "ahs" and "ohs", which isn't very compelling.

wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2018

Now that was Epic....... very clever and great sounds...

EnochLight

20 Jun 2018

NekujaK wrote:
18 Jun 2018
The Humana choir is probably the weakest link, mostly because it lacks phrase-building, so you just get "ahs" and "ohs", which isn't very compelling.

youtu.be/KZy_PVKXrOs
Huge fan of trailers, so take this as constructive criticism please! I'd also say the military marching drums are pretty weak - there's virtually no variation. I feel the strongest part are the trumpets - very nice!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

TheGodOfRainbows

21 Jun 2018

Impressive. Make more! Out of all the ReFills and Res you mentioned, which ones do you get the most mileage out of?

NekujaK

21 Jun 2018

EnochLight wrote:
20 Jun 2018
Huge fan of trailers, so take this as constructive criticism please! I'd also say the military marching drums are pretty weak - there's virtually no variation.
Busted :oops: Most of my efforts were spent trying to squeeze a big orchestra sound out of the available plugins, and consequently I didn't pay enough attention to the drums/percussion. Thanks for reminding me to keep my eye on all the balls at all times ;)

NekujaK

21 Jun 2018

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Impressive. Make more! Out of all the ReFills and Res you mentioned, which ones do you get the most mileage out of?
Thanks. There's no single RE/refill that dominated the production. For each orchestral part, I simply tried to find the plugin that delivered the best (most cinematic) sound, and it turned out I had to use a lot of different ones. It helped to have a decent selection to choose from, but even so, I felt like I had to compromise at times. Later this year I plan to invest in a high-end orchestral library which should make it easier to get the desired results.

Djstarski

21 Jun 2018

Great piece of work .

darkmode

24 Jun 2018

Great piece of work considering the the restrictions in Reasons for epic soundtrack work.
I am just starting to work with the big libraries and Kontakt. Just a note for you, as you are probably aware, Reason still isn't great when it comes to handling large vst libraries with high track numbers. I am finding that I am restricted by this compared to the stuff I've been doing in Cubase on the same PC. Just something to be aware of if you're gonna be spending out on the likes of Spitfire, East West ect, at least until Props get it sorted.

On another note, beautiful editing with video and your track mate. Well done!

jimmyklane

24 Jun 2018

First, your missing the Voice of God announcer ;-)

Seriously though well done (although as we know some of those REs ARE big sample libraries if you catch my drift).

If I could say anything constructive it would be this: you have all action and no suspense. There are a FEW very short areas in this video where you might have soloed and swelled a dissonant brass chord or similar. Pauses and negative space allow for impact, and you end up with an orchestral motif rather than something supporting the characters in the trailer. The Human king and the Orc leader could both have small call-lines to identify their main scenes in this trailer
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

strangers
Competition Winner

04 Jul 2018

Very nice work! I've been wanting to try my hand at something like yet haven't pushed past the brainstorming process just yet. You might have pushed me over the edge to jump in.

My only criticism is the synth south around the 1:35 mark is a little too shrill sounding. Again, awesome job on this. Even the timing with the video is spot on.

• Information