(Nomadic Synthpop?) points - En Voyage

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
dandandaaan

04 Jun 2018

I'm currently working exclusively in Reason, trying to write/record/release quicker and be less of a perfectionist. My work involves a lot of travel so I am recording on a very simple laptop setup. Will keep adding to these playlists, any follows/feedback appreciated!

singer/songwriter with electronic tendencies

http://pointsmusic.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/points_music

Logic / Ableton Live / Reason Rack / Nord Stage 2 / Moog Grandmother / Eurorack / Guitars, drums, toys

jimmyklane

04 Jun 2018

dandandaaan wrote:
04 Jun 2018
I'm currently working exclusively in Reason, trying to write/record/release quicker and be less of a perfectionist. My work involves a lot of travel so I am recording on a very simple laptop setup. Will keep adding to these playlists, any follows/feedback appreciated!

Untitled 1: Awesome intro. I was immediately drawn in (did you use the drum sequencer for it? Sounded like it...). About your voice: I loved the raw and untuned vocal. It showed an emotion and vulnerability which I like. However I’d suggest you add a fairly stiff compressor to your voice and turn it up a little, around the 1:35 mark when the drums kick in as your voice is a little buried....something along the lines of an LA-2A and not the SSL channel comp!!! We don’t need to HEAR the compression but simply to even out everything. We’re you up on the mic? It seems to me like there might be some proximity effect that’s perhaps muddying up the sound....or you really just need to bring the vocal up 1dB.

Loved the harmonies. Couldn’t tell if those were pitch shifted or sung, which I think is fun...when I can’t tell what processing you’ve used (besides the obvious delay) I’m always more intrigued by the song for some reason.

As for the instrumental part, I think you chose great sounds and kept this as a really mellow track that carried the emotion in your voice. It worked perfectly as a vehicle to bring the vocal to me!

WELL DONE!
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

jimmyklane

04 Jun 2018

dandandaaan wrote:
04 Jun 2018

En Voyage: You REALLY nailed a serious Phil Collins vibe here. I mean, you literally channeled “In the Air Tonight”. The 80’s vibe was heavy....the simple drum intro, the chord structure, and your voice all combined to create a really nice track. Problems: your voice is very sibilant in this song....now it sounds as if you’ve added some compression, but compression pretty much always brings up the “ ‘ssss” in any vocal. Add a de-esser. If you don’t have a dedicated RE, you can create one really easily by using the stereo imager and (here I really like Comp01 I’ve the MClass but the auto makeup gain is a problem, so an RE may work better here if you’ve got something that can get out of the way quickly) a compressor, set the high crossover to above 4-7kHz and have the compressor set to lower only the “sss” and then very quickly release so it doesn’t lower the sparkle in the vocal.

In addition, I liked the choral background vocals! They added a pad-like quality but with a lot of human interest and it made me want to try the same technique in my own music (despite the fact that I’m really quite poor at singing!).

Overall, this is a well produced and well executed track. In the mixing department it could use a little work (and I like the song enough that if you want me to I’ll mix it for free for you.) I think but it’s still really close to something that can be sent to the mastering engineer. You should be proud of the fine work you’ve done with these two tracks!!!

WELL DONE!

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

dandandaaan

05 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:Overall, this is a well produced and well executed track. In the mixing department it could use a little work (and I like the song enough that if you want me to I’ll mix it for free for you.) I think but it’s still really close to something that can be sent to the mastering engineer. You should be proud of the fine work you’ve done with these two tracks!!!
Thank you so much for this and all the detailed feedback! Really encouraging and helpful - getting a good lead vocal sound is something I struggle with and these are some great tips. I'm not planning on finalising any real "release" yet but when I do I may well take you up on that mixing offer if it's still there. More music coming soon. Thanks again!
singer/songwriter with electronic tendencies

http://pointsmusic.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/points_music

Logic / Ableton Live / Reason Rack / Nord Stage 2 / Moog Grandmother / Eurorack / Guitars, drums, toys

jimmyklane

05 Jun 2018

dandandaaan wrote:
05 Jun 2018
jimmyklane wrote:Overall, this is a well produced and well executed track. In the mixing department it could use a little work (and I like the song enough that if you want me to I’ll mix it for free for you.) I think but it’s still really close to something that can be sent to the mastering engineer. You should be proud of the fine work you’ve done with these two tracks!!!
Thank you so much for this and all the detailed feedback! Really encouraging and helpful - getting a good lead vocal sound is something I struggle with and these are some great tips. I'm not planning on finalising any real "release" yet but when I do I may well take you up on that mixing offer if it's still there. More music coming soon. Thanks again!
Anytime, man. We’re all here to learn!

• Information