(Retrowave) Overdrive - Featuring Korde, Drum Sequencer, and Europa VST

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
hurricane
Competition Winner

31 May 2018

Big thanks to Korde for helping me nail down the bassline on this one.

Drum Sequencer was handy for the perc.

Europa VST was used just to test it out.

There's a lot of Subtractor & Thor in here too.

No other REs were used, mainly used VSTs: Zebra, Repro-1, Arturia's DX7, Omnisphere, Keyscape, and UVI's Darklight and Emulation One. Kontakt for the guitar. 80s spaces from Nomad Factory for the reverbs.

All done in Reason of course.

Thanks for listening

Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Hoyos

01 Jun 2018

damm love the vibes. is this 90's music style?

hurricane
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2018

90s? Nope - just my take on 80s inspired music. I actually strongly dislike 90s music - except for the ballads, lol.

Thanks for listening!
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

esselfortium

01 Jun 2018

This has a great vibe, nice work! The chords and melodic flourishes are spot-on for that 80s feel. (Also, that synth harmonica around 2:00!!)

Which Kontakt library did you use for guitar?
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

hurricane
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2018

Indiginus Torch: http://indiginus.com/torch.html

Had the hardest time getting it to sound right until I put it through Waves PRS.

Thanks!
Last edited by hurricane on 01 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

jimmyklane

01 Jun 2018

hurricane wrote:
31 May 2018

Big thanks to Korde for helping me nail down the bassline on this one.

Drum Sequencer was handy for the perc.

Europa VST was used just to test it out.

There's a lot of Subtractor & Thor in here too.

No other REs were used, mainly used VSTs: Zebra, Repro-1, Arturia's DX7, Omnisphere, Keyscape, and UVI's Darklight and Emulation One. Kontakt for the guitar. 80s spaces from Nomad Factory for the reverbs.

All done in Reason of course.

Thanks for listening

I’ve rarely heard a sampled guitar sound so good outside of factory demos!!! Super work on that, and the 80’s vibe is very much alive. I don’t really know the difference between synthwave, retrowave, etc....but I do some lower-tempo stuff in a similar 80’s style. Great writing and execution. Mix comes through nice and clear even in iPhone speakers.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

hurricane
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
01 Jun 2018

I’ve rarely heard a sampled guitar sound so good outside of factory demos!!! Super work on that, and the 80’s vibe is very much alive. I don’t really know the difference between synthwave, retrowave, etc....but I do some lower-tempo stuff in a similar 80’s style. Great writing and execution. Mix comes through nice and clear even in iPhone speakers.
I'm not a guitarist. I can't play a guitar, I don't own a guitar, I play software guitars on my keyboard and I try to make them sound like what I think guitars sound like lol. I tried out every software guitar I have and my $50 Torch just sounded right.

I have no idea what retrowave is but I like to think it's more authentic 80s inspired music with little to no usage of modern EDM techniques, like pumpy sidechaining, fat kick drums, deadmau5 plucks, and supersaws. The posting requirement says you need to put a label on your music, so I picked "retrowave".

Thanks for listening.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

MindTheft

01 Jun 2018

Really nice, just a great, happy 80's sound!

Great work.

raymondh

01 Jun 2018

This is really fantastic! Great arrangement and sound design. Great job!

The guitar sounds so authentic!
What sounds did you use for the Simmons drums? They also sound fantastic.

Overall a really uplifting vibe, really enjoyable to listen to!

cheers!

hurricane
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2018

I'm not sure where I got the Simmons toms, I'm pretty sure they're free samples I downloaded from who knows where. They were EQd with the SSL, I put the 80s Spaces reverb on them using the "80s toms" preset, and then ran them through Brauer Motion to give them the totally unauthentic LR movement. : ).

I used a guitar in one or two of my tracks before this and I just didn't like it and I cringe when I hear them, so I went on a mission to find a better one. But I don't want to mislead you into thinking that Torch came out sounding like that - Waves PRS - specifically the Archon amp - is a huge part of it. I also slapped an H-Delay on it, EQd it with the SSL, and ran it through an 80's Spaces Hall. I disabled all of Torch's onboard FX. The dry sound is very....clean. I used the mod wheel to control the vibrato, and an up slide articulation to give it some twang. Out of all my guitars (either in romplers or standalone instruments) Torch was just the most musical to me.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

botnotbot

02 Jun 2018

Nice vibes!

sleep1979

02 Jun 2018

nice I love the 80s style of a lof of people here

jimmyklane

02 Jun 2018

raymondh wrote:
01 Jun 2018

cheers!
I actually own a Simmons kit if you’d like samples?
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

eusti

02 Jun 2018

Really nice! :)

D.

raymondh

02 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
02 Jun 2018
raymondh wrote:
01 Jun 2018

cheers!
I'm envious!! Such great sounds!
I do already have the Jiggery Pokery Kings of Kong Refill which has an SDS-5 kit, but I understand it is very programmable so having other variations of snares and toms would be great!

cheers
Raymond

hurricane
Competition Winner

02 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
02 Jun 2018

If you already have it sampled then sure! But I wouldn't want you to go through the trouble of sampling it (I mean unless you REALLY want to). Thanks for the offer though!

I found the Simmons samples I used. I use the hollowsun pack in this Gearslutz thread: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... mples.html

Good enough for me : )
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

• Information