(Breakbeat) - Desert Strike

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 May 2018

I wrote this when I trialed Softphonics AmplifiRe and IRE X2 Twin Convolution Reverb. Both are an integral part of the track. Some of you probably know about the current Softphonics mess. Because of that I had to hurry up and finish this track yesterday before my trial time ended or I wouldn't be able to open the Reason file properly.
Now neither of these REs are available in the Shop.

The title is provisional. I might change it, or not. We'll see.

Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 05 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.

PSoames

28 May 2018

Wow! That's a big sound. Bloody epic!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 May 2018

PSoames wrote:
28 May 2018
Wow! That's a big sound. Bloody epic!

Auryn

04 Jun 2018

That's some heavy shit. You probably identify as an attack helicopter, don't you? ;-)
Beats sound a bit different and more organic than your usual which is a nice fit for the middle eastern motif. I especially liked the interplay between the prodigy style melody and the beats (like at 0:45) I found my attention sagging a bit in the middle section when the plucked solo hits.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2018

Auryn wrote:
04 Jun 2018
That's some heavy shit. You probably identify as an attack helicopter, don't you? ;-)
Beats sound a bit different and more organic than your usual which is a nice fit for the middle eastern motif. I especially liked the interplay between the prodigy style melody and the beats (like at 0:45) I found my attention sagging a bit in the middle section when the plucked solo hits.
Yes please refer to me as "propeller" :D

Thanks for the comment.
I'm pretty happy about this track, not so much for the track itself, but because it is my first proper track with full production since my creative lowpoint recently and I actually enjoyed making it.

I used one patch from your Zero refill. It's the one playing at the start together with the snare marching loop. "[seq] Bass Boogie"

Auryn

06 Jun 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
06 Jun 2018
Yes please refer to me as "propeller" :D

Thanks for the comment.
I'm pretty happy about this track, not so much for the track itself, but because it is my first proper track with full production since my creative lowpoint recently and I actually enjoyed making it.

I used one patch from your Zero refill. It's the one playing at the start together with the snare marching loop. "[seq] Bass Boogie"
Great to hear you're finding your mojo again, and it's also encouraging to hear that you're finding Zero Point Energy patches useful! Looking forward to your next track for sure.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

modecca

11 Jun 2018

I have heard you talk about Prodigy being an influence and it's good to finally get a good demonstration of that.
This :25 to :45 'smack my batch up' hard core section is pretty bad ars.
A possible direction in the future could be to use their rave style sampling technique.
Hearing that in a tritone song would catch me way off guard.
🔗💥

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Jun 2018

modecca wrote:
11 Jun 2018
I have heard you talk about Prodigy being an influence and it's good to finally get a good demonstration of that.
A possible direction in the future could be to use their rave style sampling technique.
Yes the Prodigy influence is pretty obvious in this track.
I actually did sample a short scream/explosion sound from an old Amiga 500 game for this track. :D It's not from the game "Desert Strike" though which would make sense I guess. It's played during the "hard core" section you mentioned. It's not very high in the mix, but the choice to do it definitely was a Prodigy influence.

modecca

14 Jun 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
14 Jun 2018
modecca wrote:
11 Jun 2018
Yes the Prodigy influence is pretty obvious in this track.
I actually did sample a short scream/explosion sound from an old Amiga 500 game for this track. :D It's not from the game "Desert Strike" though which would make sense I guess. It's played during the "hard core" section you mentioned. It's not very high in the mix, but the choice to do it definitely was a Prodigy influence.
Yeah they would have had that sample much more pronounced.
Other than that you perfectly nailed that sound.
Loved them in the 90's but these days I don't see anything worth listening coming from them (I'm stuck in the 90's).
I was watching an early days Prodigy a few months back and found it interesting how they view samples.
They would take lot of old school urban music samples, speed them up(instant hyper effect), as we see in 90's rave(their origin). I have always seen samples as something to be slowed down to make more dark/creepy and add to a deeper feel.
🔗💥

Bloma

21 Jun 2018

Even on my laptop speakers that sounds massive.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2018

Bloma wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Even on my laptop speakers that sounds massive.
Awesome :thumbs_up:

strangers
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2018

Don't mean to sound like a broken record, but this sounds huge. Glad I still had my monitors on to really take in and listen to this one. My AmplifiRe license is still in tact. I wouldn't mind running anything through for you if you had any other tracks in the works while demoing the RE.

Have you ever thought about sharing your workflow? Your music always sounds so crisp and big. I don't know how you do it but I'm jealous lol.

jimmyklane

25 Jun 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
28 May 2018
I wrote this when I trialed Softphonics AmplifiRe and IRE X2 Twin Convolution Reverb. Both are an integral part of the track. Some of you probably know about the current Softphonics mess. Because of that I had to hurry up and finish this track yesterday before my trial time ended or I wouldn't be able to open the Reason file properly.

This reminds me of The Prodigy for some reason. It’s got that super-aggressive electronic texture. Hopefully you take that as a compliment. I only got to listen on my phone, but I’ve gotten pretty good at checking mixes on it! Solid sound design and nice performance touches.

WELL DONE!

Edit: I should have read the thread....looks like everyone here agrees about the prodigy influence, and you cite it yourself. Last night after work I just checked it out and gave my thoughts.
Last edited by jimmyklane on 26 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

deniscratch

26 Jun 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:I wrote this when I trialed Softphonics AmplifiRe and IRE X2 Twin Convolution Reverb. Both are an integral part of the track. Some of you probably know about the current Softphonics mess. Because of that I had to hurry up and finish this track yesterday before my trial time ended or I wouldn't be able to open the Reason file properly.

Yeah!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2018

strangers wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Don't mean to sound like a broken record, but this sounds huge. Glad I still had my monitors on to really take in and listen to this one. My AmplifiRe license is still in tact. I wouldn't mind running anything through for you if you had any other tracks in the works while demoing the RE.

Have you ever thought about sharing your workflow? Your music always sounds so crisp and big. I don't know how you do it but I'm jealous lol.
Thanks for the kind words.

I think I'll avoid using Softphonics products as much as possible from now on, but thanks for offering your help. For this song I didn't want to let Softphonics mistake get in the way of a nearly completed song that I worked on for many hours so I finished it and released it despite the whole mess.

Regarding sharing my workflow, I'm not particularly interested in making videos which is probably the easiest way to do it. But if you have any specific questions I'll be happy to answer them. I can tell you how I usually do things.

It always start with stumbling over something that I find interesting, maybe a melody, a riff, could be a cool sounding synth patch, or a nice drum beat that popped up in my head. Whatever first sparks my interest determines the whole direction of the track I'm about to make. Then I just build on it and eventually I sit there with the whole track wondering how the hell it all came together. :lol:

I know many people have a particular order in which they think they should do things: song writing, sound design, mixing, mastering (just an example). You often see people saying "don't touch the master bus compressor until the mix is done first."
That doesn't fit my workflow at all. I don't seperate between the different categories when I write music. It's all about shaping sounds and I do everything simultaniously. It's not a conscious choice it's just how things happen for me. So typically when I've written the whole track with the full arrangement it's not unusual that the mix and mastering tweaks are already done.
I guess because of this workflow the song writing, note choices, sound selection, production and mixing gets equally prioritized, because I don't seperate between them when I'm working on a track.

I'm not a technical guy and cables and CV stuff doesn't appeal to me much. I chose the wrong DAW I know. :lol: Because of this I tend to focus more on song writing rather than get lost in complicated CV routings. I'm not a tweaker in general but I don't mind tweaking devices that are easy to work with. Usually I just want to get to the point/the result as fast as possible so I can get on with the track.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
25 Jun 2018
This reminds me of The Prodigy for some reason. It’s got that super-aggressive electronic texture. Hopefully you take that as a compliment. I only got to listen on my phone, but I’ve gotten pretty good at checking mixes on it! Solid sound design and nice performance touches.

WELL DONE!

Edit: I should have read the thread....looks like everyone here agrees about the prodigy influence, and you cite it yourself. Last night after work I just checked it out and gave my thoughts.
Thanks. Yep my teenage Prodigy listening years has rubbed off on my music many times :D

• Information