(Ambient) Double Conclusion

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
strangers
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2018

I was in one of those annoying ruts where I wasn't writing anything I liked until, out of the blue, I came up with an odd little melody that sparked this song. Ended up using it for the RX950 song challenge since the samples and the RE worked perfectly toward the vibe I was going for.

As always, any and all comments, criticism, likes, dislikes, cookies, etc. are welcome.

Enjoy.

candybag

20 Apr 2018

Very nice melody indeed, great job!

I only got one issue, drums and percussion sound really acoustic (as in live drums) while the rest is soft synth-ish and i'm not feeling it gel.
I rather have it go one route and not mix live/synthetic;

Replace the main lead with a guitar and add some strings (to maintain atmosphere) while keeping drums/percussion

OR

replace the kick with something deeper and tighter, and find another snare (maybe wet, with added reverb?)

Just my opinion, trust your artistic freedom :)
Yamaha HS7 - HD600 - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - Akai MPK261 - AT2050 - Auralex Project 2™ Roominator Kit
9900K - 16 GB - 3xXB270HU - GTX 1080 ti

strangers
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2018

candybag wrote:
20 Apr 2018

I only got one issue, drums and percussion sound really acoustic (as in live drums) while the rest is soft synth-ish and i'm not feeling it gel.

Replace the main lead with a guitar and add some strings (to maintain atmosphere) while keeping drums/percussion

OR

replace the kick with something deeper and tighter, and find another snare (maybe wet, with added reverb?)

Really appreciate your input on the track. Kind of curious to hear how the song would sound if I build on it similarly to how you've recommend. If I end up giving it a makeover, I'll let you know. The reverb on the snare is very minimal even though my original thought was like yours to soak it in a little more 'verb. Couldn't quite tweak the reverb the way I was hearing in my head and abandoned ship on endlessly tweaking to ensure I wouldn't lose track of finishing the song before the deadline.

candybag

22 Apr 2018

strangers wrote:
21 Apr 2018
candybag wrote:
20 Apr 2018

OR

Really appreciate your input on the track. Kind of curious to hear how the song would sound if I build on it similarly to how you've recommend. If I end up giving it a makeover, I'll let you know. The reverb on the snare is very minimal even though my original thought was like yours to soak it in a little more 'verb. Couldn't quite tweak the reverb the way I was hearing in my head and abandoned ship on endlessly tweaking to ensure I wouldn't lose track of finishing the song before the deadline.
You're welcome!

I know the feeling all too well, tweaking for days.

I also find it hard to remake a track based on internet opinions, even if it's good advice. It's like a part of me just want to move on. Any makeover becomes a chore :D

Good luck!
Yamaha HS7 - HD600 - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - Akai MPK261 - AT2050 - Auralex Project 2™ Roominator Kit
9900K - 16 GB - 3xXB270HU - GTX 1080 ti

Auryn

20 May 2018

strangers wrote:
17 Apr 2018
I was in one of those annoying ruts where I wasn't writing anything I liked until, out of the blue, I came up with an odd little melody that sparked this song. Ended up using it for the RX950 song challenge since the samples and the RE worked perfectly toward the vibe I was going for.

As always, any and all comments, criticism, likes, dislikes, cookies, etc. are welcome.

Enjoy.

I remembered I still hadn't commented on this one. Listened to it a few times, love the melody and sound you start out with, but the brassy sound that gets introduced around 0:56 kind of hits me like a wet towel after dreaming off during the intro. A different sort of (more ethereal/chime like) sound would sound better IMHO.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

• Information